What's new

Feedback on lower cost Asus wireless routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gadget

New Around Here
I have but a low internet speed (75 download) and do not need an expensive router. Plus I live in a small 3 story townhouse.

Following are three lower cost Asus routers that currently are on Sale in Canada (new).

Asus RT-AX55

Asus RT-AX86S

Asus RT-AX88U
(3x more expensive than the RT-AX55, and older, but is supported by Merlin firmware)

I do not mind paying more but do not plan on radically increasing the speed of my cable internet plan. I am the sole user in our household and am not a gamer. Any feedback on which of the 3 Asus router listed above you might recommend for my low speed cable internet (75 down, 10 up) would be appreciated!

I own a Asus RT-AX86S as node, it is doing exactly what it needs to do (100/100 connection).

It is supported by Merlin BTW, the same firmware as the AX86U

From the three models above and based on expected use - RT-AX86S. Don't overpay for features you don't need.

The RT-AX88U isn't a good buy today (even on sale).

The RT-AX68U is an excellent match for your ISP speeds and use case. But only if substantially discounted (on sale) also.

The RT-AX86S model is a relatively unknown quantity, only consider it if the model (above) is not on sale and is less than the RT-AX68U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!