What's new

Fiber connection and Asus AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ofir Arbel

New Around Here
Hello
Yesterday I’ve connected to a new Fiber supplier in my country with speed up to 1000 mega.
I’m using my old Asus AC86U router and a bridge that converts the fiber to wan cable.
I just did a test to check the speed I’m getting and I only get 70 mega.
I hard reset the router to its factory settings and setup everything from the beginning and was fast settings as the router knows that this is DHCP connection but still I get the same results.
Is there something special I need to set up in the router to get the speed I signed for?

1F7696C7-EA59-45FD-8D90-9B0AEC3BF722.png

EE8AA8B9-58ED-4C4E-92E6-5B157F3644E1.jpeg

maybe link between router and media converter is only 100mbit/s ?
I have 400/40 from isp and my 86U have not any problems with this speed.

1598946483035.png

btw.
on Your screen, You make speed test using 4G not wifi.

Check the cables between router and isp equipment and check your nic also, see also the link of connection is it 100 or 1 Gbps in asus main page status

When testing for maximum speeds, don't use a handheld device. Use a computer that is plugged into AC wall power and is in Performance mode too. Wired will always give the lowest latency and most consistently higher speeds. For testing greater than Gbps ISP speeds over WiFi, an Intel AX200 WiFi adaptor is required.

This tends to be overlooked but check to make sure your using at least cat6 cable all around.

Hi first connect your lan cable from the fiber converter directly to your pc and check your speed if you get almost full bandwidth then move to your router and check nat acceleration is on and qos is off .

Hi first connect your lan cable from the fiber converter directly to your pc and check your speed if you get almost full bandwidth then move to your router and check nat acceleration is on and qos is off .

just did, without the router , I’ve connected the PC to the converter and I get the same results:

01101AE6-E435-4D48-BDD9-AA13DC3B5F2B.jpeg

Hello
Yesterday I’ve connected to a new Fiber supplier in my country with speed up to 1000 mega.
I’m using my old Asus AC86U router and a bridge that converts the fiber to wan cable.
I just did a test to check the speed I’m getting and I only get 70 mega.
I hard reset the router to its factory settings and setup everything from the beginning and was fast settings as the router knows that this is DHCP connection but still I get the same results.
Is there something special I need to set up in the router to get the speed I signed for?

View attachment 25912

View attachment 25913

1. NIC option
Device manager>Network adapters>Power Management> uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off~'
Device manager>Network adapters>Advanced>Speed&duplex: 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex
2. change your ethernet cable
3. otherwise contact your ISP. Because many IPSs provide you different gigbit types.

Did you turn off your ISP's modem/ONT for at least 20 minutes? This may properly register your connection to your new speed.

Throwing this idea out there, maybe turn off wifi when you have the ethernet plugged into your computer, to ensure it's using the ethernet connection. I would hope Windows would be smart enough to use ethernet instead of wifi when both are available, but eliminate any chance it's not by turning off wifi.

Had a similar issue when I went from DSL to Fios with the same provider. Speeds on FIOS were to be 100/100 but remained at the DSL rating of 15/1. The provider forgot to provision the account for 100/100. I figured out what was wrong but tech support did not believe me. Talked to the field tech who thought I could be right and made the call that fixed it!

So after long wait we found out that the port was no the right one and now I have 1 giga but :
Look at this situation, this is the speed I’m getting from the unit that convert the fiber to wan and it’s almost 1 giga :

E2CE5CF2-A3AD-43D7-B5F9-8D0E4E848BCA.jpeg

and this is the speed I’m getting straight from a wan cable from the AC86U router , you can see 100 mega downgrade and I guess it’s ok :

20B2E011-5651-46CF-A723-E0D711CF56BE.jpeg

and this is the speed I’m getting from a cable straight from my 1 giga switch :

30B599EB-70DC-4472-9D54-8FA345C2911A.jpeg

Now the problem begin, this is the speed I’m getting from all the points locations in my house ( I have a Cat7 cable in all the tunnels) :

6CC14510-B257-499A-B57A-8F1C5A71AB46.jpeg

I have only one point that it’s the closest to the switch (my TV) that I’m getting the speed I need :

image.jpg

So this the Lan problem that I need your advice on, as I said all the test were made with the same laptop and cable , just the TV was made without the laptop as you guessed.

now to the second and more serious- my WiFi speed , I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and doing the test near the router and this is the speed I’m getting : 30 mega download and 60 mega upload

so what could be the solution for this problems ?
Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!