What's new

Firmware .108 What are you finding?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i just ran an iperf and getting around 40 MBps.

Now that I've turned off my other wireless networks (old ones to check things were still up etc while in transition) instead of just renaming/moving channels, I am up around 30-40 MBps now. YEE HAW

I am surprised how unstable the stock firmware is (even .108). The httpd on the firmware dies for all sort of reasons. For instance, all you have to do is disable dhcp, click on the system logs > dhcp leases. The browser locks up and the system doesn't respond. No way to recover the the administrative interface other than to reboot it via telnet. I am so glad that the hardware works independent of the httpd functions. Personally, this is a great wireless router/AP, the busybox underneath is solid but the UI built on top needs maturity.IMHO.

I am surprised how unstable the stock firmware is (even .108). The httpd on the firmware dies for all sort of reasons. For instance, all you have to do is disable dhcp, click on the system logs > dhcp leases. The browser locks up and the system doesn't respond. No way to recover the the administrative interface other than to reboot it via telnet. I am so glad that the hardware works independent of the httpd functions. Personally, this is a great wireless router/AP, the busybox underneath is solid but the UI built on top needs maturity.IMHO.

yes I've noticed this , have to leave dhcp on or router locks up if i go to logs , thought I was the only one . Tried3 times , locked up each time . hope they fix this

Hi,

First post. I just bought the 66U, been using it for maybe a week. The current 108
works fine with me, except the NAT loopback bug that is not allowing me to have USB device plugged and use any of the Media/Server features of the router.

Also one major selling point for me was the free DDNS from Asus, but unfortunately since yesterday morning this no longer works. For me outage of more than 2-3 minutes per 24 hours is unacceptable, so i had to find another way.

The wireless is great, i am on 80 mW and have never seen such signal, even 60m away from my house. Also have 3G dongle plugged for backup, tested - really a great feature.

Great router, too bad can't use all functionality. Can't experiment with custom
firmware as i have a small SSL server running at home that needs to be online 24/7 and buying second 66U for 200+ GBP is a no go.

Regards

Router issues

Range is very good--why I bought this model. Disk drive performance is poor. Overall stable.

Baffled that Asus confirmed that Router User ID can not be changed from "Admin"! Can this be true? Incredibly sloppy if true in that it removes half of what needs to be guessed to crack security. Why have user bother typing it in if it has to be "admin" for everyone?

On entering the time zone in the router, Router complains "The System time zone is different from your locale setting". See no place to put in locale. Are these routers shipped with a non-modifiable region setting? Bought from Newegg(reputable) so should be correct.

PC's disappering from Workgroup ver.108

Have 4 PC’s in a Windows 7 workgroup. After about 20 -30 minutes refreshing Network shows 1 or 2 PC’s connected. Even the N66U external hard drive icon vanishes.

Rebooting the router brings everything back to normal for another 20-30 minutes then refresh and PC Icons are again missing. Last night tried firmware version .96 and TomatoUSB 128 and all 4 workgroup icons stayed visible and active for over 2 hours. Upgrading from RT-N56U – did not have this issue.

Have tried closing all firewalls, turning of v6 adapter settings and registry tweaks. It only does it with version .108. I emailed Asus tech support 5 days ago and have not yet received a reply.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or have suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Gary

network icons not persistent

I do not need to see other PCs on home network, but want to see Network attached storage. I had a very aggressively configured PC to reduce overhead and enhance security by disabling a wide range of unneeded Windows services. I have found that keeping the Network drive visible, more of the services were required than previously particularly regarding Network discovery and file sharing (for security reasons, I disabled anything remotely related to allowing file sharing on my PC)

If you have disabled Windows services, try enabling services regarding networking and UPNP

May also help to assign fixed IP addresses in range 192.168.1.xxx to devices on network. If have a limited number of devices with predictable addresses, than easier to find them.

Networking dropping workgroup PC's

Please send a email direktly to the techs at Networking_Support@asus.com and describe your problem so they can fix this with a new firmware.
Best regards Mrcom

I contacted Asus tech support and they recommended that I reinstall latest firmware .108 and go to restore mode to erase vram. Did that and still have this issue.

The main issue is 30 minutes after router is turned on or rebooted all network workgroup PC's except the one I am on loose icons and connection with the other 3 workgroup PC's. Rebooting the router returns everything to normal. Then 30 minutes or so of idle activity network workgroup icons are gone again.

Ordered a replacement RT-N66U to make sure that it is not a hardware issue. Will know for sure in a couple of days. Last night I installed TomatoUSB 1.28 and for 16 hours the network did not loose connection with the workgroup PC's. Put my old DIR-655 back in the network and it ran problem free for a full day.

If anyone else is having this issue it would confirm that it is a firmware issue. Tried firmware .96 and have same issue. Did not have a problem with RT-N56U on this network.

Thanks for the email to the network guys at Asus. I will let them know once I receive the replacement 66U.

Regards, Gary

Problem with external USB HD dropping workgroup PC's

It was the external USB hard drive connected to the RT-N66u. Unplugged the Seagate FreeAgent 500 gb HD and the network Icons along with the network stays connected.

Next I attached a 16 gb kingston memory stick to the 66u USB port and the network started noticing the other PC's in the workgroup - works. Tried a WD "My Book" 1 TB HD and the network after 20 minutes dropped all the users on the network - just like the other external HD.

I did a scandisk on both HD's before and after. Used the unmounting feature in the software. Both HD's are formatted NTFS - does it need to be FAT 32?

Plugged the 16 gb memory stick back into the 66u and for the last 5 hours the network has worked great.

Looks like NTFS external Hard drives connected to the 66u caused the network workgroup icons to disappear after 30 minutes and disconnect most of the network.

Anyone else have this issue?

Much better now with ext HD disconnected form RT-N66u

So it's not looking like .108 is worth putting on the router? :confused:

For me, .96 was even more buggy. It was slow, locked up and has the issue with the external had drive shutting down my workgroup. I would rather have .108 installed than .96.

If you are using .108 and have any issues and have an external hard drive attached to one of the USB ports on the 66u try disconnecting it and rebooting your router and PC.

Since I've disconnected the external HD, network is faster, refresh rates are better and overall WI-FI and Lan performance is very good.

I will load .90 this weekend to see how it performs. :D

So it's not looking like .108 is worth putting on the router? :confused:

I would definitely have .108 on your router. If there is some feature that isn't working right with it, report it to Asus support, but previous firmware is more buggy than .108. I'm guessing that you'll be less happy with earlier versions than .108.

If not .108, then maybe tomato firmware is worth a try for you. You can switch back and forth between tomato and the factory firmware when you want to, so you don't lose anything by trying it.

I contacted Asus tech support and they recommended that I reinstall latest firmware .108 and go to restore mode to erase vram. Did that and still have this issue.

The main issue is 30 minutes after router is turned on or rebooted all network workgroup PC's except the one I am on loose icons and connection with the other 3 workgroup PC's. Rebooting the router returns everything to normal. Then 30 minutes or so of idle activity network workgroup icons are gone again.

Ordered a replacement RT-N66U to make sure that it is not a hardware issue. Will know for sure in a couple of days. Last night I installed TomatoUSB 1.28 and for 16 hours the network did not loose connection with the workgroup PC's. Put my old DIR-655 back in the network and it ran problem free for a full day.

If anyone else is having this issue it would confirm that it is a firmware issue. Tried firmware .96 and have same issue. Did not have a problem with RT-N56U on this network.

Thanks for the email to the network guys at Asus. I will let them know once I receive the replacement 66U.

Regards, Gary

I'm having issues with my N66U wireless performance being up and down. How do you go to restore mode to erase vram? Also I noticed when I do check for firmware update it tells me there is new upgrade even though I'm on .108

I'm having issues with my N66U wireless performance being up and down. How do you go to restore mode to erase vram? Also I noticed when I do check for firmware update it tells me there is new upgrade even though I'm on .108

The Firmware Version Check feature in version .108 is broken and will always tell you that there is a new firmware version available. It might be worth checking the Asus site regularly for firmware updates or this site.

Here is part of the email I received from Asus wireless department on how they suggest we install firmware and restore your router to factory settings and clear VRAM.

They recommended doing a restore right after you install the firmware.

--------------------------restore-----------------------------

Push in the restore button for 15 seconds. Let the router set for a minute.
Then pull the power out for 10 seconds, then power the router back up.
this puts your router back to factory defaults. Reset it back up and see if this solves this
issue.

-----------------------------Firmware Update----------------------------

go to http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en
do a model search. Choose your operating system, and then go to firmware.

Down load the latest firmware that is not a beta. Save this where you can find it on your pc.
Unzip the firmware.

Now log into your router. Open a web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and press enter.
you should be prompted for a username and password. username is admin and the password is admin
go to advanced settings> administration> firmware upgrade.

Once in firmware upgrade choose browser then browse to your firmware that you down loaded.
Choose update and this should update your firmware. Once it is done reset up your router
test again.

Here is part of the email I received from Asus wireless department on how they suggest we install firmware and restore your router to factory settings and clear VRAM......

Too much work for me as it is a lot easier to just put the router into recovery mode and use the miniweb server to clear nvram, reboot router or upload firmware.

What I do is clear nvram in the miniweb server then upload firmware.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=38375#post38375

Hey guys I just got the router yesterday and I flashed to 108 right away. I configured all of my setting then I noticed that port forwarding was not working. I reset to factory and cleared the nvram and reflashed and reloaded the setting and no joy. None of the ports are forwarding, I called tech support and they told me to replace the router, I did and im getting the same thing. I called them back and they said it was it was the router again, and I told him what are the odds that I got 3 bad routers. Then he told me if the router was not working to my needs then go buy the 56U lol. I loaded the tomatousb firmware and what do you know the port forwarding works just fine. I don't want to have to use a custom firmware to get my router to work like it's suppose to. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and what they did to correct the problem.

How are you trying to do the forwarding?

You have to make sure and click on the edit button to add the forwarding to the list then apply.

Edit should actually say add as you are adding that entry to your forwarding list.

How are you trying to do the forwarding?

You have to make sure and click on the edit button to add the forwarding to the list then apply.

Edit should actually say add as you are adding that entry to your forwarding list.

The forwarding table is populated with the ports I configured but i can't connect to anything outside my network. here is a example of a ip cam i added Service Name: name if the ip camera, Port range: 9010 *the port required for the ip camera* local ip: the ip address of the ip cam, local port: 9010, protocol: TCP. clicked the edit button and it shows up on the list just fine, rebooted the router. When i try to access via outside my network using wan and port number it doesn't connect. Even tried using a program on my phone to connect and it doesn't work. I can connect locally all day long but not outside my network. It's the same for FTP and some Webdav port I have open. When I go to the system log and click on the port forwarding tab the only thing i see is my desktop's ip address and a random port. I don't see any of the ports i opened from the port forwarding menu under wan.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!