What's new

Firmware .108 What are you finding?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
I see the following in a short time:

IPV6 6 to 4 tunnel WORKS

My wireless transfer speeds from my 2 TB hd has dropped from 9.5 mps to 1.9 mps! This is a deal breaker for me. Its terrible. Anyone else see this?

CC

I see the following in a short time:

IPV6 6 to 4 tunnel WORKS

My wireless transfer speeds from my 2 TB hd has dropped from 9.5 mps to 1.9 mps! This is a deal breaker for me. Its terrible. Anyone else see this?

CC

Damn, another step back for Asus.

I've read somewhere that the unit will stop broadcasting the SSID after the update...can someone verify this issue for us?

I've read somewhere that the unit will stop broadcasting the SSID after the update...can someone verify this issue for us?
been up 6 hours and no problems so far. Looking at the release notes looks like not much different from .102

one issue, the clients not being detected properly bug still there, but no biggie. Havent tried upnp yet

UPDATE ------- Now its perfect! -------------

ALL,

Update: I reflashed the firmware. Restored to default and manually put in my settings. I can now report:

1 - Download speed from USB connected 2 TB HD is fastest its ever been 82 mbps (9.8 mbs) dling a 1 mb file to laptop.

2 - Just streamed a ripped Blue Ray move from HD on USB to my laptop 1 floor down, flawless!

3 - IPV6 as before verified working perfectly

4 - DHCP reservation working perfectly

5 - No sign of lost SSID bug so far, will keep an eye on it

I am very please now! WHEW........

CC

Last edited:
Yep, good idea to factory reset and power cycle after a firmware upgrade.

getting great transfer rates on 5ghz band 9.9MB/sec-10.7MB/sec 102 was getting a best about 8.6-9.3 MB/ sec , crazy transfer rates , bet my 3700 v.1 could get was 7.6 MB/sec . So far no troubles with 108 . Above with 3 GB file .

Last edited:
Yes, manually re-entering your configuration after a firmware upgrade and factory reset is a good idea. You never know what's been changed when firmware is revised, so you don't know if your old configuration will work or not. Best to just re-enter your configuration and have a clean start with new firmware. You can save your current settings again after everything's working in case you make a mistake and screw things up subsequently *smile*.

ALL,

Update: I reflashed the firmware. Restored to default and manually put in my settings. I can now report:

1 - Download speed from USB connected 2 TB HD is fastest its ever been 82 mbps (9.8 mbs) dling a 1 mb file to laptop.

2 - Just streamed a ripped Blue Ray move from HD on USB to my laptop 1 floor down, flawless!

3 - IPV6 as before verified working perfectly

4 - DHCP reservation working perfectly

5 - No sign of lost SSID bug so far, will keep an eye on it

I am very please now! WHEW........

CC
what format do you have your drive in?

Also have you tried streaming onto a DLNA compatible TV/Bluray???

Last edited:
getting great transfer rates on 5ghz band 9.9MB/sec-10.7MB/sec 102 was getting a best about 8.6-9.3 MB/ sec , crazy transfer rates , bet my 3700 v.1 could get was 7.6 MB/sec . So far no troubles with 108 . Above with 3 GB file .

I ran some iperf iterations and was getting around 17 MBps, a good 1/3 over what I was getting before too. Yee haw!

Rick

I used damon tools on my laptop to mount and play the 43 meg ISO of the blue ray off the 2 TB HD that is connected to the N66. This is streamed down 1 floor and to one side of my home (3,000 sq ft home)

The drive is formatted NTFS.

I do NOT stream to DLNS compliant device. I use method above.

CC

Yes, manually re-entering your configuration after a firmware upgrade and factory reset is a good idea. You never know what's been changed when firmware is revised, so you don't know if your old configuration will work or not. Best to just re-enter your configuration and have a clean start with new firmware. You can save your current settings again after everything's working in case you make a mistake and screw things up subsequently *smile*.

Hi,
I have a habit of erasing NVRAM whenever I play with F/W.

For most settings I wouldn't mind doing this, but unfortunately the one setting I tend to make is to reserve specific IP addresses for all of my devices (not all of them need it, but a surprising number of them have built-in web services that I like to access for various reasons, so I simply reserve them all). Presently that is about 20 devices in my home. Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to reserve a bunch of assignments. If there was an easy way to make those reservations after resetting, I'd love to always do a reset - any thoughts?

For most settings I wouldn't mind doing this, but unfortunately the one setting I tend to make is to reserve specific IP addresses for all of my devices (not all of them need it, but a surprising number of them have built-in web services that I like to access for various reasons, so I simply reserve them all). Presently that is about 20 devices in my home. Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to reserve a bunch of assignments. If there was an easy way to make those reservations after resetting, I'd love to always do a reset - any thoughts?

Just one thing, I've noticed that my bridge IP address is converted to a hotlink in the client list. I can click the IP address hotlink and it brings up the web configuration interface. If this were the case for the devices that you have that have web interfaces that you want to access, and the names of the devices in the client list were enough to identify the devices, then you wouldn't need to have static IP's for them at all for that reason.

Just wondering if that might work for you?

Just one thing, I've noticed that my bridge IP address is converted to a hotlink in the client list. I can click the IP address hotlink and it brings up the web configuration interface. If this were the case for the devices that you have that have web interfaces that you want to access, and the names of the devices in the client list were enough to identify the devices, then you wouldn't need to have static IP's for them at all for that reason.

Just wondering if that might work for you?
Hi Roger,

I'm not sure where you are seeing this bridge IP address hot link, but in my case I simply type the known IP address in my browser window and I'm there - I don't have to go finding where its hotlink might live.

Also, web services is one reason to need their IP addresses, but there are other reasons. File services and printing often use hard coded IP addresses. Even my A/V receiver provides network services, but the apps that control it are flakey if they have to find it via network scanning so it works much better if I can simply give them the right IP to begin with and if it would reliably stay at that IP.

What I'd really like is for the router to do local DNS. It knows the mappings it handed out. It knows my private domain name via the fact that it maintains my dynamic dns mapping, it should allow me to give names to every device and when I visit myprinter.mydnsdomain.dyndns.org it should supply the appropriate local IP address, then I wouldn't have to find creative ways to remember the various IP addresses on my network. I haven't yet experimented with the aftermarket firmwares, but most of my other routers have had a factory option to at least name the DNS reservations so I could remember which assignment is which when I edit the list. My VOIP box is smart enough to loopback when I visit a particular web address so that I can configure it without having to know its IP address if I am using it as my NAT/DHCP server - it would be nice if the routers would provide a similar service. With proper internal DNS, I wouldn't have to hard code IP addresses in many cases, though some devices simply want to know the IP address of the other device they should collaborate with and don't give you the option of typing a hostname.

Hi Roger,

I'm not sure where you are seeing this bridge IP address hot link, but in my case I simply type the known IP address in my browser window and I'm there - I don't have to go finding where its hotlink might live.

Also, web services is one reason to need their IP addresses, but there are other reasons. File services and printing often use hard coded IP addresses. Even my A/V receiver provides network services, but the apps that control it are flakey if they have to find it via network scanning so it works much better if I can simply give them the right IP to begin with and if it would reliably stay at that IP.

I see my bridge IP address as a hotlink in the "client list" that you get by clicking on the "Clients" box in the top level "Network Map" view. In the list of clients with their network "names" and IP addresses that comes up on the right side of the GUI, the IP address of the bridge I use comes up as a hotlink that I can click on and go to the configuration page for it that way.

If you could just decrease the number of static IP mappings that you need to create every time you do a router "factory reset", that would be helpful. For example, if you could just enter the required ones, like your printer's hard-coded IP address, that would really help you. And then the rest of the IP addresses could be assigned by dhcp.

web page. froze after update.

I have had httpd stop responding after the update. However, had to reboot from telnet and the system started responding again. Gonna try a wipe/factory reset and reconfigure to see change.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!