What's new

Firmware Update doubt: NVRAM Backup + Firmware Selection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi, I'm a owner of two Asus Routers: AC3100 as my primary router with Merlin (384.17) firmware and Entware installed and RT-AC66U_B1 also with Merlin firmware (384.17) installed as my secondary configured as AP. Both routers have a wired connection between them.
After a long period without issues, the network connection became lowly only trough the router. I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. My provider is Fibertel, Fibertel use Lumen (CenturyLink) as International Internet carrier, I know it because I work in Lumen. My connection is 300Mb/30Mb.
When I'm connected directly to Cablemodem I can access to 200Mb~250Mb but trough Asus Router Wired connection down to 90Mb and Wireless to 30Mb, strangely the upload speed is not altered.

Yesterday night I perform all backup of configuration. Today I perform the NVRAM backup using nsru tool scripts and screenshots for all config on webgui.

I'm ready to perform a firmware update following the step recommended by L&LD in this post and all recommendation to set up wireless configuration. All the process require a lot of time.

Looking for reduce my time, I would like to know if restore NVRAM configuration using nsru scripts can be used to restore old firmware configuration in a new firmware version in same router. All information published in the project detail to be use in the same with same firmware or diferent router (migration). If a can omit webgui configuration will be great.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Last edited:
Lokking for the change log I see very interested features in 386.1 Beta 3 Firmware. What recommend to be implemented the 386.1 Beta 3 or 384.19
Thanks!

If you're willing to take some time to properly upgrade and re-integrate the routers into your network, the current Beta 3 is very tempting (and for me and many customers, worth it too).

The suggested steps below are what I would do as a minimum to get the routers on the latest firmware and at a good/known state. And, where the expected defaults, variables, and other internal settings are set to what the router is expecting with the latest firmware.

The following link may also be useful for further reading.

And if the router still isn't responding as expected, the final link below may help determine if it is/was a configuration or a hardware issue.

If you're willing to take some time to properly upgrade and re-integrate the routers into your network, the current Beta 3 is very tempting (and for me and many customers, worth it too).

The suggested steps below are what I would do as a minimum to get the routers on the latest firmware and at a good/known state. And, where the expected defaults, variables, and other internal settings are set to what the router is expecting with the latest firmware.

And if the router still isn't responding as expected, the final link below may help determine if it is/was a configuration or a hardware issue.

Thanks I read all your post. Are very useful and I learn a lot. Using all step for the firmware update and Wireless configuration.

I follow all your step to a Firmware Update and Basic Configuration. From the post that I shared and all configuration in the post recent specify.

Using the Speedtest in Router I have the following connection velocity:

1609565769671.png

A good connection. Then I test with my Laptop, connected to AC and Wired (1Gbps) with my router.

1609565914001.png

1609566437603.png

At this moment my router has no attached USB3 HDD for Entware and other serivices. Only the minimum configuration. What could be responsible for that behavior.

1609566560840.png

Seems like you're using different test servers?

In the last yes. I will try with different server but the same in router and PC and in my last test different server for both as a last test. The router always have similar speed and PC same.

It's recommendable switch to Stable Firmware Version?
Today I continue with the same behaivor:

1609602073615.png

1609602128323.png

The router continues with minimun configuration and no hdd attached or services.
Thanks

Last edited: