What's new

Fixing a Small Business Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anybody used the Brother iPrint&Scan app? I am looking for an easy way for a user to walk up to the scanner and scan a paper to an image file. Just thinking if it will scan to your iPhone while you are standing there it would be great. I need it to work in a generic way so it would scan to what ever iPhone is close so that it will work for the whole office and not be limited to just 1 iPhone.

Works great with iPhone and iPad - haven't had a need or opportunity to try it with Android.

iPhone is good. How does it work. What is required? Can we just use the wireless on the printer straight to the iPhone in close proximity so it does not require a wireless network? Do you run the scan from the iPhone? To me that means you place the paper needed to copy on the flat bed and use the iPhone app to run the scan? Am I correct? And it is not limited to 1 iPhone?

I do not want to broadcast this across a wireless network. I will use an Ethernet cable for internet access, cloud printing.

Last edited:
iPhone is good. How does it work.

Works very well

What is required?

connect the printer to the network - doesn't have to be wireless, can be on the wire...

Download the app from the app store - launch the app, find the device, and go...

Can we just use the wireless on the printer straight to the iPhone in close proximity so it does not require a wireless network?

I haven't tried that - the assumption is that both the printer and the iDevice is on the same network, as AirPrint needs this anyways. Note that the printer doesn't need to be wireless, but it does need network connectivity.

Do you run the scan from the iPhone? To me that means you place the paper needed to copy on the flat bed and use the iPhone app to run the scan? Am I correct? And it is not limited to 1 iPhone?

Yes - and as many iPhone/iPads as you have around are supported - just need to be on the same LAN/WLAN.

I haven't tried that - the assumption is that both the printer and the iDevice is on the same network, as AirPrint needs this anyways. Note that the printer doesn't need to be wireless, but it does need network connectivity.

I really do not want to broadcast the printer on a wireless network. This is a security issue I do not want exposure on. Maybe when WAP3 comes out. They have neighbors right next door. I want the printer to talk directly to the iPhone on a private network. I assume the printer does not do DHCP. I guess this is a problem. They handle bank stuff and we do not broadcast it on a wireless network.

Maybe a layer 3 switch with a separate network and a wireless AP turned way down and no access to the other network. I will have to think about this. Seems like a lot work for such a simple task.

Last edited:
I really do not want to broadcast the printer on a wireless network. This is a security issue I do not want exposure on. Maybe when WAP3 comes out. They have neighbors right next door.

WPA2/AES is more that secure enough - and even if you are waiting for WPA3, that would require everything to support it.

If the Brother is on ethernet, heck, even wireless, it's just a network resource.

I assume the printer does not do DHCP

DHCP client it has.

They handle bank stuff and we do not broadcast it on a wireless network.

Maybe a layer 3 switch with a separate network and a wireless AP turned way down and no access to the other network. I will have to think about this.

If that's the case - then maybe WiFi access to the network is a concern in general - so don't do it at all.

WPA2-Enterprise is an option perhaps, but that involves a lot of set up, certs, authentication center, AP's that support it, and getting certs out to the clients.

There is currently no wireless at the business. It is one of the reasons why there network is so fast. You don't have to wait on slow wireless.

Can you turn down wireless to only go 12 feet or so with no wall penetration?

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. Can you expand on the workings and what is a good model or brand? It sounds like what I want.

Looks like the Apple iPhone 7 only supports NFC for Apple Pay.

Last edited:
They handle bank stuff and we do not broadcast it on a wireless network.
Didn't you already find one of their systems on someone else's WiFi? I'm sorry, but this is 2018....if you really think a business is going to actually not have WiFi in use in one way or another....well...yeah....keep your blinders on. I came out of a bank environment 6+ years ago that had been trying its hardest to enforce a zero-WiFi environment...it was a losing battle. Just like you, we kept finding the marketing dept and others piggy backing off of WiFi of the various neighbors.

Your best bet is to work to get functional and secure WiFi in place for the use cases that require it. Otherwise users tend to get crafty and try to solve their access issues themselves. If you already have iPhones or iPads....you already have the mobile risk at play. Properly deployed and managed WiFi itself brings far less risk than the use of mobile devices being permitted to store company data locally on them.

brother printers have wifi direct, infact a lot of cheapo hp wifi printers have it too, basically a p2p based wifi.

If you do get a printer for network purposes (or use with phones), try to get one that uses ethernet.

Even for bank use, you do need wifi but the usage of the wifi differs. Your entire business net can be wired, it is still a lot more reliable and faster than wifi.

So you then have a network for work and a network for non work. In a business sense you should already know how to segregate and filter them.

We currently have a brother printer with an Ethernet cable into the LAN network. We do a lot cloud printing from the internet. So I only need to add scanning. Adding an extra backup printer would not hurt.

I added 2 more PCs last Monday. Tomorrow Monday I will buy and install 5 more PCs. She is hiring like crazy.

I will have to start watching internet speeds. The only issue I see with using the cloud for all your APPs is your bound by your internet pipe size.

I added 2 more PCs last Monday. Tomorrow Monday I will buy and install 5 more PCs. She is hiring like crazy.

I will have to start watching internet speeds. The only issue I see with using the cloud for all your APPs is your bound by your internet pipe size.
dell has one of the best business offers at the moment, but arent consistent, same with other brands. If you looked for AMD ryzen quad core with integrated vega GPU options from dell, or others it'd be very difficult to find a decent offering especially in some countries that intel still can monopolise. Where i am, to get the 8th gen intel is half the price of AMD thanks to hype and greed. Ownership cost of a PC here is horrendous.

If there is wireless, what i do is configure both ethernet and wifi, so in the case one fails or switches over, it will not randomly select some other guys network.

The PCs I am buying are Dell desktops with no wireless. The problem I had with that with the home machines were bought by the previous owner. I did not realize they had wireless built in since I did not buy the machines nor set them up. The Dell's PCs I am buying are corporation machines not home versions so they are wired only. You can not run a corporation with a bunch of wireless PCs.

The PCs I am buying are Dell desktops with no wireless. The problem I had with that with the home machines were bought by the previous owner. I did not realize they had wireless built in since I did not buy the machines nor set them up. The Dell's PCs I am buying are corporation machines not home versions so they are wired only. You can not run a corporation with a bunch of wireless PCs.
You can, just not well. There are situations when even in a business wireless is a better option than wire, not saying you made the wrong choice, wired is usually better where possible especially in medical where both powerline and WiFi add unnecessary interference. I think the previous owner didn't seem to know what they were doing to be using that config :p

I also use brother printers. My brother budget lasermfc coated me £200 with starter cartridges that I'm still on today despite the huge amount of printing. I've gone through loads of paper as well. One thing I like about brother is that a lot of parts are compatible and you don't have to use genuine parts. You can also reset the cartridge in the printer itself as even starter cartridges seem like the actual ones with 10x listed printing capacity, once the colour starts fading and shaking doesn't work I have 3rd party compatible spares waiting. If your dchp server allows you can assign the same IPS to the printer's wired and wireless interfaces, or set the same static within the printer itself.

The exact reason my company's Internet connection went from a single 500Mbps connection at a single US PoP, to having 6 US PoPs with a total of 10Gbps of available bandwidth over a 2 year period.

You can not run a corporation with a bunch of wireless PCs.
Yes you can. Since 802.11n, speeds are generally more than adequate and can scale out well to general business users just fine. In our environment the only people who are hard wired are IT and Engineering people who move lots of large datasets. Otherwise we have thousands of active WiFi clients....corporate devices and BYOD. All a matter of proper distribution of APs with proper configuration.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!