What's new

FlashRouter - is it worth it ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
I am looking at their website and you can buy a preflashed router or a FlashRouter Support Plan to have them flash your current router with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

Know most of you will laugh at me which is fine. I just don't want to mess up my router but want more power out of my Asus router.

Yes I am currently using Asus merlin fimware.

RMerlin's firmware keeps what the stock gives and improves on it. with DD-WRT and tomato you lose what the stock firmware provides which is performance. But if wifi and WAN performance arent important you can certainly go for it. If you installed RMerlin's firmware, the process should pretty much be the same. Just check your firmware hash after you download it first to make sure you dont attempt to install a corrupted firmware.

I'm a novice so I don't take flashing 3rd party firmware lightly. Factory firmware at least pretends they're going to be there for you. The reality is 3rd party is often awesome but, in back of my mind, I worry "merlin" will get married, have twenty kids and "disappear".

Sometime back I bought an N66U because I wanted a traffic monitor. I flashed Merlin because I wanted traffic by device.

When I bought an AC1900 I didn't flash Merlin (because it now gave me traffic by device). But when my network file share kept failing I went back to my old friend and it's been stable ever since.

Risk/reward.
but want more power out of my Asus router.
Power? Tx power? If that's your only reason you might want to scan elsewhere in these forums before you do. It might not be the panacea you think.

But it you have other reasons, even if it's just for the fun of it, then having them do it might be a "safe way" to get started.

I am looking at their website and you can buy a preflashed router or a FlashRouter Support Plan to have them flash your current router with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

Know most of you will laugh at me which is fine. I just don't want to mess up my router but want more power out of my Asus router.

I think you are better off doing it by yourself, I too was a novice at one time so don’t worry.

Usually you flash an DD-WRT/Open-WRT/Tomato initial image via your current router GUI, then flash the actual image via the new GUI (Tomoato, OpenWRT, etc).

As for more power, you aren’t going to be able to skirt around regulations to boost WiFi tx power if that’s what you looking for as that’s not changeable.

You might be better of sticking to RMerlin’s firmware so you get a well tweaked unit but with the comforts of stock and not much for you to mess up on in terms of settings. Unless you have some specific apps or packages you want to run on the router you are better off on stock.

If you're on an Asus router and running RMerlin's stuff - you're ahead of where flashrouter might be.

AsusWRT is an evolution of Tomato/DDWRT - and I've found a couple of nubbins that should have been caught but were not for security purposes...