What's new

For how many years does Asus provide security updates to the Routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have a very old RT-AX88U (5 years old) and I am afraid Asus will stop providing Security Updates to it, is there a sense based on past experience or is there a formal statement from Asus?

Thanks

Your AX88U is not old. I have an AC66U_B1 that I keep just-in-case. I haul it out from time to time to keep it up to date and it is still getting the Trend Micro updates. Asus updates, too. Even when your router goes into end of life you should get the trend micro updates.

I am afraid Asus will stop providing Security Updates

Deal with that when it happens. By then, you'll want a new network and can still use your old router as an AP/AiMesh node/wireless bridge/backup router.

Review the FW posted for various router models to understand that history of ASUS Support. Likewise, see EOL to understand that history of ASUS Support ending.

OE

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback, I moved to Merlin FW, that gives me peace of mind
Since Asuswrt-Merlin is based on GPL drops from ASUS this usually means that whenever ASUS no longer supports a model, RMerlin won’t/can’t either…

Since Asuswrt-Merlin is based on GPL drops from ASUS this usually means that whenever ASUS no longer supports a model, RMerlin won’t/can’t either…

But, but... they had peace of mind! :)

OE

I have a very old RT-AX88U (5 years old) and I am afraid Asus will stop providing Security Updates to it, is there a sense based on past experience or is there a formal statement from Asus?
One can keep an eye on Asus's EOL page, see link below, to see when routers go end of life and end of support. There is no guarantee on how long a router model will be supported. Popular models likely will be supported longer (sometimes much longer). For example the popular RT-AC68U was introduced sometime around 2014 and is surprisingly still receiving updates (for now). Other Asus models may go EOL few years after initial release. Other manufactures sometimes stop supporting their routers within two or three years of initial release.

For example the popular RT-AC68U was introduced sometime around 2014 and is surprisingly still receiving updates (for now).

This won't happen to newer models. RT-AC68U was the most popular Asus router and many people had or still have one. With the introduction of AiMesh it was kept alive for so long for mostly marketing purposes. Something had to use this AiMesh in initial stages after all. Much more capable but unpopular AC-class routers are on EOL list like RT-AC88U and even HND hardware GT-AC5300 plus some AX-class models already.

Will the Pro models (AX88U Pro or AX86U Pro) get a longer period of security updates due to being Professional line? If you can call them that, I know they ate still home routers with some professional features (VLAN, etc.)

Will the Pro models (AX88U Pro or AX86U Pro) get a longer period of security updates due to being Professional line?
Only people who know for certain is Asus. Otherwise it's just educated guessing on how long support will be for a specific model or series of models.

Asus does not publish any official support timelines. They will sunset devices based on the current state of the market, whether there are supply issues with Broadcom for a specific chip, or if another device replaced it in the product stack at the same price point.

The RT-AC68U_V4 for instance was EOL after only 12-18 months, probably because its presence no longer made any sense in their product stack.

Note that devices being EOL does not always imply end of support. Occasionally, Asus will issue firmware updates for an EOL device. Only they know what dictates their decisions. For instances devices like the RT-AC3100 that were already EOL still received an updated firmware to fix a recent Trend Micro issue.

For instances devices like the RT-AC3100 that were already EOL still received an updated firmware to fix a recent Trend Micro issue.

You made it sound like Asus did an exceptionally good thing. In reality they first broke working well routers and then decided to fixed them. Trend Micro components are part of Asuswrt, no? So the problem is in Asuswrt - the Asus firmware. The user buys an Asus router and nothing from Trend Micro separately. This background update issue happens twice already in about a year time. They'll fix the mess or older model Asus router owners will think twice before purchasing another Asus router.

You made it sound like Asus did an exceptionally good thing. In reality they first broke working well routers and then decided to fixed them. Trend Micro components are part of Asuswrt, no? So the problem is in Asuswrt - the Asus firmware. The user buys an Asus router and nothing from Trend Micro separately. This background update issue happens twice already in about a year time. They'll fix the mess or older model Asus router owners will think twice before purchasing another Asus router.
I mentionned this instance because it was recent. But the RT-AC3200 and RT-AC87U also received a few updates past their official EOL status.

My point was to mention that EOL does not mean sudden death of any update.

I mentionned this instance because it was recent. But the RT-AC3200 and RT-AC87U also received a few updates past their official EOL status.

My point was to mention that EOL does not mean sudden death of any update.

They've done a better job than most - that being said, as @RMerlin mentions, once EOL, updates might or might not happen...

If one is running an RT-AC3200 or AC87U, it's time to move on - similar to the vaunted AC68U, they were good for the time, but that time has passed...

It's not just security, it's performance and features...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!