What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
they can ask hggomes to release his work on github, but they cannot force him or push him: it's an idiotic way of not minding your own business!
It's his work, he can do whatever he likes, users have the same freedom too.
Links were not publicly available, some users posted them, not him.

He has been asked.

He should feel compelled to release the GPL source for respect of others that made his release possible.

It is not his work, he can not do whatever he likes.

His files are publicly available/downloadable from a public folder on a public file sharing host. In my opinion that is publicly released.

Last edited:
nobody with enough competencies to get the work done by themselves using Merlin's code.

That is not logical. I assume you believe rmerlin is capable of this change yet he hasn't released it, so is rmerlin not competent?

It is not only about security, it is as much about protecting/respecting the hard work of others.

I have a wife, house, job etc. I personally assume most here are teenagers and have not reached that state in life yet.

You would be assuming wrong then.

Both about the statement about most here being teenagers and just as wrong about assuming that other's work is not being protected or respected too.

There is nothing to protect with public code. Respect is implied by using or building on someone else's work.

There is nothing to protect with public code. Respect is implied by using or building on someone else's work.
It is not "public domain" code. It is GPL code.
If the author of that code wanted it in the public domain they could have released it as such. If they wanted it as BSD license they could have done that also. The authors chose to release it under GPL license and that can not be changed by someone else.

Think of it as a price tag if you like. The price tag is that you must reshare the source. Respect is given once the terms of use are fulfilled.

He should feel compelled to release the GPL source for respect of others that made his release possible.

If you care deeply enough - Exercise your rights under GPL to request a copy...

He's obligated to provide all changes to the upstream code that he's made - his own works, that which doesn't modify GPL licensed code, he can claim copyright*, and... license it however he wants within the rights given to him by GPLv3 - but he still needs to be compliant with GPLv3.

* even within GPLv3, he can claim copyright, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to release those changes.

If you care deeply enough - Exercise your rights under GPL to request a copy...

He's obligated to provide all changes to the upstream code that he's made - his own works, that which doesn't modify GPL licensed code, he can claim copyright*, and... license it however he wants within the rights given to him by GPLv3 - but he still needs to be compliant with GPLv3.

* even within GPLv3, he can claim copyright, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to release those changes.

I have, numerous times both publicly in these threads and via PM. He either refuses to answer, or makes an excuse about how he cannot upload the source code due to "lack of time".

EDIT: Just to expand on this - I do not care what hggomes does with his fork. While I disagree with boosting the TX power beyond FCC limits - firmware forks like these are the reason the FCC is/was looking to force manufacturers to lock down routers entirely - if that is his choice to do so, it is his and his alone. I do not care where or how or to whom his fork is distributed. I do care that the code is licensed under GPL, and therefore he must release accompanying source code (or make it available to those who request it) for every release he makes. The fact that he continues to work on the fork, placing seemingly significant time towards it but cannot find the mere minutes to upload the source code somewhere - either to GitHub or by archiving his development folder and uploading it - raises deep red flags about what additional code is in the firmware. This fork is 8MB larger than Merlin's, yet all hggomes claims to do is unlock the ability to increase the transmit power past Asus' limits...where does the 8MB come from? hggomes refuses to answer that question.

If you want to assume the risk and run this firmware on your router, by all means do. It is your router and I do not control what you install on it. However, hggomes has an obligation laid out by the license he explicitly agreed to by forking the firmware and it is not a reasonable expectation to not receive it.

I will, once again for the umpteenth time, formally request @hggomes to provide the members of this forum with a complete source code package through any acceptable means (whether it be git or a tarball or whatever) for his latest release, and to continue to provide these source code releases alongside his binary ones.

I do not believe anyone could receive this as an unfair request. It is a right under the GPL to ask for the source code, and it must, in accordance to the license agreement, be distributed upon request.

Last edited:
Is it significant? The range? And if i can know. How much lower the speed is? By mbit? Thx :)
On 5G at 70% I have 250 Mbps on speed test. At 100% the signal was more powerful but in speed test I had around 150Mbps.
Don't consider my results as reference. I tried for 1 minute and it wasn't a real test with exact the same conditions, replicable conditions, etc.
You can try yourself maybe for you will be totally different. There is no harm for the router to play from 50% to 100%. It is just your time for testing.
I couldn't allocate too much time, that's why my results maybe are not relevant.

On 5G at 70% I have 250 Mbps on speed test. At 100% the signal was more powerful but in speed test I had around 150Mbps.
Don't consider my results as reference. I tried for 1 minute and it wasn't a real test with exact the same conditions, replicable conditions, etc.
You can try yourself maybe for you will be totally different. There is no harm for the router to play from 50% to 100%. It is just your time for testing.
I couldn't allocate too much time, that's why my results maybe are not relevant.
So do you think we should just cap our tx power to our size home? Or just go 100% all the way?

So do you think we should just cap our tx power to our size home? Or just go 100% all the way?
My personal opinion is to go with first one! 70% on 380.57 has anyway much better range than 100% on previous version 378.55.
I think that 100% is bringing distortions on signal like is audio on you go on maxim or is to powerful for the receiver making the communication router - device more difficult.

From my point of view users have a choice; they can ask hggomes to release his work on github, but they cannot force him or push him: it's an idiotic way of not minding your own business!
It's his work, he can do whatever he likes, users have the same freedom too.
Links were not publicly available, some users posted them, not him.

hggomes can do whatever he likes as long as he doesn't redistribute his work to the public. Once he does, he has to disclose the source code upon request. Failing to fulfil this obligation, GPL license is violated and _terminated_ requiring him to immediately stop public distribution*.

To restore his GPL license, he need to be GPL compliant by disclosing the source code. Now GPL version 3 gives more mercy on restoring the GPL license. GPL version 2 is more harsh which practically stops him from redistributing any of his work for lifetime. Because he need to write to individual copyright holders to obtain their permission. Considering the sheer number of copyright holders in ASUSWRT-MERLIN, it's daunting task that i cannot imagine any little known individual could get it done in his lifetime.

The last time I checked, ASUSWRT-MERLIN is distributed under GPLv2..

*before smart dudes jump in and claim he doesn't distribute publicly. yeah yeah...it's possible to come up with a shady operation indeed and people can see a cheerleader on the horizon. :D

My personal opinion is to go with first one! 70% on 380.57 has anyway much better range than 100% on previous version 378.55.
I think that 100% is bringing distortions on signal like is audio on you go on maxim or is to powerful for the receiver making the communication router - device more difficult.
Thx. I wanna ask if its better to just limit the tx to cover my home only (if it more then my home) or just go to 70%? And if i do decrease or increase the tx. Can it increase or decrease the life of the router? Is it significant that i will notice it? Sorry many asking. :)

And btw guys. Is there anyway to set the regulation to d so mac can detect it good and can i change the regulation automatically? Thx

And btw guys. Is there anyway to set the regulation to d so mac can detect it good and can i change the regulation automatically? Thx
I have the same issue.

I found some information in merlinwrt changelog:

378.56 beta 1
- REMOVED: Regulation mode setting on Wireless -> Professional.
This can't be adjusted anymore, as it was moved to
a closed source component.

The question is how to force it, and made permanently enabled, maybe from terminal or by cfe editing.

If you'll find something, post here.

I have the same issue.

I found some information in merlinwrt changelog:

378.56 beta 1
- REMOVED: Regulation mode setting on Wireless -> Professional.
This can't be adjusted anymore, as it was moved to
a closed source component.

The question is how to force it, and made permanently enabled, maybe from terminal or by cfe editing.

If you'll find something, post here.
Because my mac need to use the US regulations

Thx. I wanna ask if its better to just limit the tx to cover my home only (if it more then my home) or just go to 70%? And if i do decrease or increase the tx. Can it increase or decrease the life of the router? Is it significant that i will notice it? Sorry many asking. :)
The router life is not impacted by this. Play with the settings until you will find what is the best for you. There is a triangle between range, speed(bandwidth and stability. you can't have all on maxim. In my case first is stability, then a range to cover my apartment balanced with speed. Default setting made by HGG seems to fit my needs. I activated only some filters on firewall, a printer, some dhcp custom settings and AiProtection/Network Protection

I don't get it what is the issue with mac and regulations. Maybe somebody can help if you can provide more info about the problem.
Are you saying that mac is looking if the router has the regulations enabled?
Maybe you didn't used the right channel as per country regulations

Last edited:
hggomes can do whatever he likes as long as he doesn't redistribute his work to the public. Once he does, he has to disclose the source code upon request. Failing to fulfil this obligation, GPL license is violated and _terminated_ requiring him to immediately stop public distribution*.

To restore his GPL license, he need to be GPL compliant by disclosing the source code. Now GPL version 3 gives more mercy on restoring the GPL license. GPL version 2 is more harsh which practically stops him from redistributing any of his work for lifetime. Because he need to write to individual copyright holders to obtain their permission. Considering the sheer number of copyright holders in ASUSWRT-MERLIN, it's daunting task that i cannot imagine any little known individual could get it done in his lifetime.

The last time I checked, ASUSWRT-MERLIN is distributed under GPLv2..

*before smart dudes jump in and claim he doesn't distribute publicly. yeah yeah...it's possible to come up with a shady operation indeed and people can see a cheerleader on the horizon. :D

If he's working off of ASSERT-MERLIN's branch, the easiest thing for him to do is just commit his changes back into the maintainer of that branch, and stop distributing his compiled binaries..

The maintainer can then either merge or reject the changes - if maintainer merges, then HGgomes still maintains copyright on his unique contributions (whether new code, or bug fixes/minor changes)... if the commit is rejected, it stays out there as part of the record, and either HGgomes can continue to work on his code, or others can pick it up and refine it to a point where it is suitable to merge into the mainline code.

Then GPL is satisfied, and everyone is happy... remember, GPL (any version) is really about OPEN collaboration and sharing, ensuring better code for everyone...

Because my mac need to use the US regulations

What regulatory domain are you presently in?

If you're in the US, you get US channels - if you're in JP, you get Japanese channels, and so forth...

Macs look not just at your AP, but adjacent networks, and picks the most restrictive set - I'm not defending that, just reporting that...

hgg voluntarily pulled the links because if this site facilitates access to software that violates the GPL license, this site may be legally cuplable.

With GPL, this site isn't liable, just HGgomes...

If one of the other GPL rights holders wanted to push the issue - worst case is that the site could get a DCMA take down request for the links to the compiled binaries in question, and perhaps a request for contact info for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.