What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i'm using this on my rtn66u, works great! is this also one of the best choices for AC68P a friend just purchased?

basically you have 3 realistic choices.

Stock asus.
Merlin fork - this is best option if you want latest features such as adaptive QoS
John's fork of merlin's fork - this is best option if you want a more stable code base and stronger wifi.

Just switched to 14e1 from 0fficial 9235 on n66u; great to have ye old tx power settings back. I somehow always felt I had better range with the old drivers (374).
Working really well so far. Digging the "scan files on every boot" option in dlna server!

Will post back on stability over time. Really appreciate the work you guys are putting in.

Btw, had the exact same issue with Asus ddns that ualdrivr had posted. It repeatedly threw the unauthorised error message, until I changed the name to something I hadn't set in the past. Its working fine now with the new name.

Update 1- yep better signal strength on the 5ghz, my tv always showed 3/4 on new firmware, its now a steady 4/4 on 14e1.

Update2-Random reboot :(

Last edited:
John, I know this is asking a lot, and could also be a moot request, The current merlin builds will show all the ai cloud stuff in repeater mode, while your fork does not. If there are no security issues (the moot part of this), would it be possible to add those to the repeater mode of the fork in a future build?

Btw, had the exact same issue with Asus ddns that ualdrivr had posted. It repeatedly threw the unauthorised error message, until I changed the name to something I hadn't set in the past. Its working fine now with the new name.
I've been checking it every so often....and it's been up and down over the last couple of days. Hopefully they'll get it stabilized soon.
Update2-Random reboot :(
Did you do a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure after reverting to the fotk firmware?

John, I know this is asking a lot, and could also be a moot request, The current merlin builds will show all the ai cloud stuff in repeater mode, while your fork does not. If there are no security issues (the moot part of this), would it be possible to add those to the repeater mode of the fork in a future build?
I can take a look. I see that in the newer firmware it's called AICloud 2.0
Anybody know what is the difference vs the original? (I've never used either version)

I've been checking it every so often....and it's been up and down over the last couple of days. Hopefully they'll get it stabilized soon.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure after reverting to the fotk firmware?

Yes I did a factory reset but from GUI. I have a feeling there might have been a power supply issue that time. Keeping a watch on it and will post back if another reboot happens.

Also, this happens when I enable the open vpn server with 3 username-passwords. Tried in chrome and firefox. The server on/off switch also remains off the first time I enable while in the status tab it shows running.

VT2zwEZ.png

Last edited:
Love the look and feel of this firmware, it is a beautiful piece of work. Unfortunately though I am getting better performance out of the 376.3861 official. Simple test, furthest PC from router, connecting at 450Mbps on official, on this firmware though only 324-360 fluctuating.

Love the look and feel of this firmware, it is a beautiful piece of work. Unfortunately though I am getting better performance out of the 376.3861 official. Simple test, furthest PC from router, connecting at 450Mbps on official, on this firmware though only 324-360 fluctuating.

376.xx firmware is absolutely ancient. :)

Forget about indicated connection rates, try actual throughput testing from a wired client to a wireless laptop (from same spot and orientation) instead to see any improvements or not.

376.xx firmware is absolutely ancient. :)

Forget about indicated connection rates, try actual throughput testing from a wired client to a wireless laptop (from same spot and orientation) instead to see any improvements or not.

I guess that makes this 374 based build prehistoric...or maybe call it 'classic' :)

But L&LD is correct in measuring actual throughput. I can speak from experience here, similar but on the client end. I have a 7260AC card and with the first set of drivers I tried I connected at 565Mbps. It's being used in a HTPC with real-time streaming and everything worked great. Tried a newer driver, and it connected at 702Mbps....nice improvement. But in my application, I was dropping packets resulting in a pixelated image. Additionally, I'd get 270-290 Mbps actual transfer rate in the first case, and 240-250 Mbps in the latter. The lower connect rate was actually better.

Finally, it may be possible. Wireless can be a bit finicky depending on the environment (other wireless, noise sources, obstructions and their construction). It may be that the tuning is better for you in 376. But always better to actually measure.

I guess that makes this 374 based build prehistoric...or maybe call it 'classic' :)

No! :)

Not when you keep updating it (over 20 version later now, correct?).

The age of the driver is not the issue. It is the security holes in old / stale code.

And that is not an issue with your fork. :)

Also, this happens when I enable the open vpn server with 3 username-passwords. Tried in chrome and firefox. The server on/off switch also remains off the first time I enable while in the status tab it shows running.

VT2zwEZ.png

Tried changing the usernames to see if a particular character was causing the display issue but the issues stay on. I don't think this will affect any user logins but its terrible for my ocd :p

Tried changing the usernames to see if a particular character was causing the display issue but the issues stay on. I don't think this will affect any user logins but its terrible for my ocd :p
Sorry, but can't recreate it.....

serverpw.JPG

Make sure username and password don't contain <>$"'`/\
Safest is alphanumerics, - and _

Sorry, but can't recreate it.....

View attachment 4768

Make sure username and password don't contain <>$"'`/\
Safest is alphanumerics, - and _

Noted, however I have found after many retries, I can get through the initial setup and addition of users. The formatting issue comes up once I switch off the server and then enable it again. Can you check once more john? Many thanks!!

Noted, however I have found after many retries, I can get through the initial setup and addition of users. The formatting issue comes up once I switch off the server and then enable it again. Can you check once more john? Many thanks!!
Tried turning on and off several time, adding users with it both on and off and then cycling, deleting users from the center of the list and cycling, trying server1 and server2...still all good.

Maybe there is a bad character 'stuck' that it can't clear....try the following.....

Turn off the server

telnet/ssh into the router and enter
nvram set vpn_serverx_clientlist=
nvram commit

then reboot and see if it behaves any better

One of the past issues with that page occurred if you added a bunch of entries ,then removed one, and saved it. The removal code was bugged, and not properly removing entries from the list.

That
Tried turning on and off several time, adding users with it both on and off and then cycling, deleting users from the center of the list and cycling, trying server1 and server2...still all good.

Maybe there is a bad character 'stuck' that it can't clear....try the following.....

Turn off the server

telnet/ssh into the router and enter
nvram set vpn_serverx_clientlist=
nvram commit

then reboot and see if it behaves any better

This fixed it!!! Thanks a bunch guys. Really appreciate it. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!