What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cool, thanks :)

However, I got this error: "192.168.0.208/28 is not a valid IP address!"

One last thing, if I want to add a rule for a specific IP but for every service (every port), should I add nothing to the "destination port" or an "*"?

I think you would use a port range, like "1:65535" or "1-65535", depending on what the proper notation is.

Cool, thanks :)

However, I got this error: "192.168.0.208/28 is not a valid IP address!"

One last thing, if I want to add a rule for a specific IP but for every service (every port), should I add nothing to the "destination port" or an "*"?
Congratulations.....you've found another original ASUS bug!

First, my mistake in thinking the address accepted CIDR format. Sorry for the bad info. The code is actually there in the qos.c module to allow entry of a true address range, but the gui won't allow you to enter it. Right now, the valid options are as described in the pop up help (click on the Source IP or MAC header). I'll do some checking to see if I can enable the address range entry for the next release or they disabled it for a reason.

For the port range, the popup help when clicking on the Destination Port header is also correct....plus if you just leave it blank, it will apply to all ports.

John, what documentation, books, forums, source-code, etc would you encourage a wanna-be AsusWRT developer/hacker to read?

John, what documentation, books, forums, source-code, etc would you encourage a wanna-be AsusWRT developer/hacker to read?

Caffeine and patience. There ain't exactly any documentation on how to understand and deal with undocumented source code from a third party unfortunately.

Caffeine and patience. There ain't exactly any documentation on how to understand and deal with undocumented source code from a third party unfortunately.

No embedded Linux books or more generic topics like the type of build system used?

I guess it would depend on your current level of ability. If, for example, you don't know how to program in C then that's going to be your first major learning experience.

It might be too much to ask, but it would be awesome if the current community devs start to blog , wikify, or youtube cast on what they find and do. The reason I say this is we (others) can gradually read up and learn by watching your steps and potentially start to contribute to help you out :)

You already have that today (it may depend on your provider and your custom config options), I've been running PIA 24X7 for a long time now.

With their client software running on a PC, you were able to set options that weren't available when running the client on the router. They released info on how they set the options, which I was able to port to the router. That's what my post was about.

I have PIA and I've been trying to figure out how to configure VPN for specific IP addresses through the router. I'd appreciate if you can give me a few pointers.

Congratulations.....you've found another original ASUS bug!

First, my mistake in thinking the address accepted CIDR format. Sorry for the bad info. The code is actually there in the qos.c module to allow entry of a true address range, but the gui won't allow you to enter it. Right now, the valid options are as described in the pop up help (click on the Source IP or MAC header). I'll do some checking to see if I can enable the address range entry for the next release or they disabled it for a reason.

For the port range, the popup help when clicking on the Destination Port header is also correct....plus if you just leave it blank, it will apply to all ports.
Never noticed such popup. I'll take a look at that when I get home. Thanks once again :)

I probably won't be putting out a formal release until after the New Year, but in case anyone wants to try out the latest I've uploaded a Beta release. (It's what I'm currently running :))
Note it's a different download location from the stable release location.

BETA RELEASE: Update-16B5
11-December-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-16B5j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1sDtB1V
============================

Changelog
  • Fix router failure at boot if NFS is active - @ziolupo

It's working perfectly!
A big thank you, John!

ZioLupo

Can you hide your own IP adress with this fork?, or how does this work.
In general, you may use TOR or VPN in order to redirect your traffic, but you can never really hide your IP. Further, TOR is not friendly for torrents, or torrents are not friendly for TOR.

What you may indeed get is a GRC Shields Up Perfect Stealth status.

I probably won't be putting out a formal release until after the New Year, but in case anyone wants to try out the latest I've uploaded a Beta release. (It's what I'm currently running :))
Note it's a different download location from the stable release location.

BETA RELEASE: Update-16B5
11-December-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-16B5j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1sDtB1V
============================

Changelog
  • Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.2e
  • Did my own code review and closed multiple buffer overflow exposures
  • Updated e2fsprogs to latest Merlin level
  • Increased max Parental Controls to 32
  • Updated entware install script to entware-ng
  • Added support for igmpproxy customization
  • Fixed Smart Sync not syncing after start (ASUS binary updates) - @DocUmibozu
  • Fix router failure at boot if NFS is active - @ziolupo
  • Add valid ip address check/retries/logging to QoS start - @strangeluck
  • Add new option to System Log>Connections to display connection count summary - @UserEasy
  • Fix vendor lookup from the networkmap client status - @Wisiwyg
  • NTP Updates
    • Show successful NTP syncs in syslog by default
      The successful sync logs can be disabled in the gui in the Syslog options, failures will always be shown
    • Allow changing the alternate NTP server in the gui (the router already actually used 2 NTP servers, this just externalizes the second server)
    • Allow changing the time between NTP syncs in the gui
      Note: Setting the sync interval to '0' disables sync attempts and tells the router to accept as valid whatever time is set (useful when the router is not connected to the internet, and the time is set manually via the command line (use with caution) - @dasbrot)
Updated from latest merlin alpha on my N66U, wiped twice but strangely after each reboot of the router it takes me to the initial setup page, if I go to 'http://192.168.1.1/index.asp everything is fine but 192.168.1.1/ also takes me to the setup page, 1 check connection, 2 internet setup etc. other than that everything seems to be fine.

Hi people, managed to install 15e5 on ac56s via ASUS rescue utility... it is running ok for now. Will it have an adverse impact on the router in terms of hardware or performance? Firmware used was meant to be use with 56u (dual core) - but used it for 56s (single core).

Last edited:
I was on Update-14 and noticed that 3 of the 4 ethernet ports were not working, did a factory reset and the problem remained.
After that tried the upgrade to Update-16 and a new factory reset but it also produced no change on the ports.

Right now only the port 4 is working, I have tried to change the cables and network device and the same cable and device work on port 4 but not on the others.

To me it seems like it is a hardware problem but if anyone has any clue to what I could try it would be helpful, or I can collect logs if they can help.

Thanks in advance.

I was on Update-14 and noticed that 3 of the 4 ethernet ports were not working, did a factory reset and the problem remained.
After that tried the upgrade to Update-16 and a new factory reset but it also produced no change on the ports.

Right now only the port 4 is working, I have tried to change the cables and network device and the same cable and device work on port 4 but not on the others.

To me it seems like it is a hardware problem but if anyone has any clue to what I could try it would be helpful, or I can collect logs if they can help.

Thanks in advance.
Unless you have been running custom scripts that might effect VLANs, etc. I cannot see how this can be anything other than a hardware fault.

What do you see at "Tools > Sysinfo > Network > Ethernet Ports" for VLAN and Link State when a device is connected to a faulty port?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a hardware, not software issue. How long have you had the router?

Unless you have been running custom scripts that might effect VLANs, etc. I cannot see how this can be anything other than a hardware fault.

What do you see at "Tools > Sysinfo > Network > Ethernet Ports" for VLAN and Link State when a device is connected to a faulty port?

I have to check the VLAN when I return home, but I remember that the link state was Down.

Sounds like a hardware, not software issue. How long have you had the router?

For a long time, since July 2012, I just moved to a different house and on the previous one just used one ethernet port and wireless connection and now on the new house would like to use more ethernet ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!