What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What are the main differences between fork 374.43 v15E5 and Merlin 380.57_0 on an AC68U please?

374.43 runs great on my N66U and have been using the fork for a while, so am thinking of trying it on my AC68U, but just wanted to check before I go through the whole reset and reconfigure process.

Last edited:
What are the main differences between fork 374.43 v15E5 and Merlin 380.57_0 on an AC68U please?

374.43 runs great on my N66U and have been using the fork for a while, so am thinking of trying it on my AC68U, but just wanted to check before I go through the whole reset and reconfigure process.

Read the change logs of each for yourself. I'm sure somebody copying / pasting them for you won't help you understand it better.

Read the change logs of each for yourself. I'm sure somebody copying / pasting them for you won't help you understand it better.
I just wondered if anyone had a high level list of main differences, rather than the granular ones.

Having run both levels, you pretty much have it. When you load the fork on the AC68, it will look just like the N66. Probably the biggest difference is that all of the TrendMicro adds are no longer there (Adaptive QoS, AI Protection, the bandwidth limiter [the limiter hopefully coming to the fork later]). The CPU/memory graphs are not there, as well as the ability to manipulate the icons for the clients. Other parts of the gui will also look different.
If you missed having something on the N66, it will also be missing on the AC68 with the fork.

The fork also uses a different IPv6 stack (different, but should work the same). Then, there are some unique adds I made to the fork that you will pick up (gui login in the syslog, better control of NTP, no media scan on boot, able to change the units for the traffic manager graphs, etc.....)

Thanks for replying. I'm currently going through the process of configuring 374.43 15E5 on my AC68U.

I like this build on my N66U and am hoping it resolves the Xbox One NAT issues with UPnP I'm experiencing on the AC68U with the current Merlin build. As soon as I put the N66U back in, the X1 NAT was back to Open.

The V16 final release is now available!

This release addresses several reported problems as well as bringing some new capabilities in QoS and OpenVPN. In addition, this release contains updates to improve stability with native IPv6.

For those loading new...please take the time to read thru the first post for a complete list of the updates and some important notes on using some of the new features.

Thanks again to everyone for your continued feedback and support!

LATEST RELEASE: Update-16E1
12-January-2016
Merlin fork 374.43_2-16E1j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
============================

For those running the last V16BG beta release, the final release contains three additional changes that may make an update worthwhile. A factory reset is not required.
  • FIX: Disk Utility disk scan unable to run or runs on wrong drive
  • CHANGED: Remove TCP ALL selection from Network Filter protocols as it didn't work as the name would suggest (it actually checked for a virtually impossible condition)
  • CHANGED: OpenVPN policy mode pass parameters for openvpn-event route-up

@john9527
There was a post by you that was stating if somebody wants to go to latest 380.x fw has to install intermediate fw. Which post was it? I can't find it.

Thanks

I think it's the one. Before coming to your fork I believe I was on RMerlin's 378.55(or which ever has a new login screen). So if I want to switch to 380.x do I need to do anything intermediate?

I think it's the one. Before coming to your fork I believe I was on RMerlin's 378.55(or which ever has a new login screen). So if I want to switch to 380.x do I need to do anything intermediate?
Yes, you need to load one of the intermediate levels first. It's not a 'history' based requirement, but a current state requirement. (of course followed by a factory default reset after loading the 380 code)

Does it also apply to HGG fork? What about if I want to come back?

Thanks
I would expect it to apply to the hgg fork as well. Coming back, nothing special required...just the factory reset after.

EDIT: But this is a case where the build in save configuration will be useful. If you think you may want to come back...do a save configuration before doing the changes. If you decide to come back, restore the built in saved configuration instead of doing the factory reset after reloading the fork.

Thanks for new official firmware !

As I had no problems with both betas before, the final runs also smooth.
Still need to test VPN again ...

Thanks

After updating the firmware on my RT-N66U from V15E5 to V16E1, the Client List is now truncating host names that exceed 14 characters. I have a few that are 15 characters long, and only the first 14 characters are displayed in the list. A quick check of the LAN > DHCP Server page shows the names correctly entered there, not truncated.

After updating the firmware on my RT-N66U from V15E5 to V16E1, the Client List is now truncating host names that exceed 14 characters. I have a few that are 15 characters long, and only the first 14 characters are displayed in the list. A quick check of the LAN > DHCP Server page shows the names correctly entered there, not truncated.
Probably a result of me closing some buffer overflow exposures in networkmap. I'll take a look and confirm the limit.

EDIT: @HawkInOz
Confirmed.....they had allocated a 15 character buffer but never accounted for the string termination character in 2 of 3 cases. I'd consider the limit as 14 characters as trying to track down all the buffer declarations and copy statements is too likely to break it worse.

Last edited:
With my RT-N66U, the upgrade from 15E3 to 16E1 was drama free.

RT-N66U upgrade also drama free here! Thanks for the great firmware John.

I've got a very weird issue...none of my 4 computers would ever sync with an internet time server after the win 10 update so was setting up my computers to sync their time with the router (Enable router as local SNTP server).

Worked very well with both my desktops but when I try to ping router.asus.com on my laptop it is pinging some random IP addr with probably the same address pool as my external IP.

Also when I enter router.asus.com on my browser I am first redirected to this page (screenshot attached), wrong.JPG

then I am redirected to this page wrong 2.JPG .

Accessing via IP address of the router is normal as always. Why is this happening??

I am running v15e5 on an n66u.. can someone please help me out? I fixed it temporarily with a hosts file entry.

Last edited:
can someone please help me out? I fixed it temporarily with a hosts file entry.
Are you using DNS Filter to set nameservers for the laptop or somehow bypassing using the router dnsmasq as your nameserver? I think somehow some joker registered router.asus.com through a DDNS provider, so if you are bypassing dnsmasq it's getting resolved upstream.

If you're not deliberately bypassing the router as nameserver, if you running native IPv6, V16E1 that I just released may fix it.

Otherwise setting a hosts entry is probably the easiest fix.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!