What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just want to say, wow at what this firmware has become, its been managed to keep stability in the asus part of the code and lots of enhancements for the benefit of the community. Thank you to both merlin and john, and anyone else involved.

I believe this has got to do more with interference from other wifi networks than a settings issue.
Have you used inssider or any other such tool to identify whether you have many wifi networks around on the same or overlapping channels?
I was mucking around with the wifi settings and it's now bad and everything else on the router is working well, just not wifi. Both 2.4 and 5ghz are not working well. Barely getting more than 20kb/s with it. But over wired, I am getting in excess of 350mbps with speedtest.net

@john9527 Thanks for the great firmware fork.

Is there a way I can reset only all the WLAN settings to default without touching my other configs? Think I might have messed it up as my clients connect but could barely transfer any files even with a full power and supposedly excellent connection. The routing of packets for my VPN and wired clients are all working normally.

Thanks
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to just reset settings associated with a part of the code.

You could....
- Save your configuration using the firmware built-in save NVRAM configuration

- Reset to factory defaults, screen shot the Wifi pages, restore the saved config then reconfig the Wifi by hand based on your screen shots.

- If you use my NVRAM save/restore tool, make a temporary edit to nvram-merlin.ini and add a comment character (#) in front of the Wireless sections, ie '[Wireless-General]' to '#[Wireless General]' (same for [Wireless Professional]. Then run an nvram-save.sh, factory reset, and run a nvram-restore.sh with the output from the save based on the modified ini file. If something seems wrong, restore the built-in saved configuration from step 1.

I can't recreate this one.....made a couple of PC entries and saw no difference. One thing I did notice in the code is that page makes use of XML files, so you may want to check that you don't have an Adblocker or Virus scanner active on the router address that could slow things down.

Even i can't recreate it now. Sorry for the bad report John.

I think it was my network adapter acting up. I remmber on windows 8 it just used to quit, seems it just hangs on to dear life on 10 which must've been what happened.

Afternoon John.

A question.

I have only one device going through VPN on client 1 in firmware, with a set fixed IP. All works fine through policy rules etc, no problems with it in normal use, however, should I decide to make any change to any configuration of it (such as changing the VPN address or just turning the switch off and on) then this results in no connection whatsoever, even to my devices not going through VPN?

Only way to get the connection back, is a reboot of the router, at which point, all works fine again. Is this normal behaviour?

Many thx.

Afternoon John.

A question.

I have only one device going through VPN on client 1 in firmware, with a set fixed IP. All works fine through policy rules etc, no problems with it in normal use, however, should I decide to make any change to any configuration of it (such as changing the VPN address or just turning the switch off and on) then this results in no connection whatsoever, even to my devices not going through VPN?

Only way to get the connection back, is a reboot of the router, at which point, all works fine again. Is this normal behaviour?

Many thx.
No, not normal.. I regularly turn VPN on/of (normal is all devices with some exclusions), and just reconfigured like you with only a single IP and everything worked fine with on/off, changing VPN address as well as some other settings.

First thing would be for you to post your VPN settings and a copy of your syslog when you run into the problem.

John, thanks for trying this out for yourself. I unplugged the power to my printer since it was driving me bonkers and plugged it back in the next day. I haven't seen the printer wake up since. So perhaps it was initiated by the printer somehow with all of this firmware flashing and rebooting the network and switches. Everthing has been stable. I'll try my sisters NT66U next as the latest Asus firmware runs really slow on it, like 10 seconds per click to navigate.
Spoke too soon, as soon as I power up the printer, after it goes to sleep it wakes up randomly like before. I uninstalled the drivers from my computer to see it it's waking it up, I used the printer utility to map an specific IP address, no change in behavior. As soon as the beta 358.59 goes GA I'll see if that clears it up. I have an NT16 router running tomato that I used for years and the printer has been silent
The only thing I can think of is this printer sits behind an 8 port switch which is connected to the N68U. Maybe I'll try another port on that switch or run a long cable directly to the router to see if that changes anything.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to just reset settings associated with a part of the code.

You could....
- Save your configuration using the firmware built-in save NVRAM configuration

- Reset to factory defaults, screen shot the Wifi pages, restore the saved config then reconfig the Wifi by hand based on your screen shots.

- If you use my NVRAM save/restore tool, make a temporary edit to nvram-merlin.ini and add a comment character (#) in front of the Wireless sections, ie '[Wireless-General]' to '#[Wireless General]' (same for [Wireless Professional]. Then run an nvram-save.sh, factory reset, and run a nvram-restore.sh with the output from the save based on the modified ini file. If something seems wrong, restore the built-in saved configuration from step 1.
That's a great tip! I will do that when I get back. Will this erase JFFS? Or all I need is to perform your steps above

- nvram-save.sh
- factory reset
- nvram restore

LATEST RELEASE: Update-17E5
20-March-2016
Merlin fork 374.43_2-17E5j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
============================
[/CODE]

Running this for about a week now. This software makes my ASUS RT-N66R work the way it should - much more stable and works better than any of the latest ASUS updates. I keep hoping ASUS will get their act together and release reliable software but I keep going back to john9527's firmware.

Thank you for your hard work in keeping the ASUS RT-N66R (and other ASUS routers) running strong.

Hi All.

Bought a brandnew RT-AC66U and upgraded the firmware from the official asus website, problem with that firmware is that when i reboot the router it won't reconnect to my WAN (had to reboot my isp-modem also to get wan working again).
That results in a change off my ip-address :(

So i decide to go for this merlin-fork firmware to get ride of the WAN disconnections, which is solved right know, the main problem im facing right now is that the websites on my linux server won't show up when i type in the FQDN in firefox or internet explorer. This problem was not with the stock firmware, nor with my older router (RT-N16) with tomato-shibby (latest firmware) .
When i connect to another server outsite my home and type the FQDN in that servers firefox the websites are showing up as aspected.

When updated to the merlin firmware i did a clean factory-reset before i added all the forwarding settings to my linux-server (yes also port 80 forwarded from outsite to the linux server)

What could be wrong ? don't want to use dmz.

Thanks in advance.

the main problem im facing right now is that the websites on my linux server won't show up when i type in the FQDN in firefox or internet explorer.
If you are doing this from within your local LAN, it's called NAT loopback and it was broken on MIPS routers (of which the AC66U is one) on the initial V17E2 release. Was fixed in V17E5. Are you running the latest release?

Yes im running the latest release 17e5

Attachments

• tmp_24636-Screenshot_20160401-2046511895775633.png
    tmp_24636-Screenshot_20160401-2046511895775633.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 750
That was indeed the cause, seems using a non DNSSEC server when enabled in dnsmasq kills all dns queries. Switched to the dnscrypto.org servers now, the holland one is pretty fast as well.

I plan to run my own uk dnssec and dnscrypt dns server but the server I want to use for it is currently down so the plan is delayed.
little update, seems the dnscrypt.org fr and nl servers cache negative dns which is pretty annoying

So seems the only way to get

fast
no logging
dnssec
no neg dns caching

is via my own server, well I just have got it working now.

Also with cert rotation.

I may possibly may allow some others to use it if anyone is interested in a uk dnscrypt, dnssec, no negative cache server, it will be no logging also once I am sure everything is 100%.

The dutch server I had to stop using, lots of outages.

Hey- My N66U spontaneously rebooted a couple times today. No accusation of the firmware or anything just wondering. What would cause that to happen? Never seen it reboot for no reason before- should it reboot if the internet goes down?

Hey- My N66U spontaneously rebooted a couple times today. No accusation of the firmware or anything just wondering. What would cause that to happen? Never seen it reboot for no reason before- should it reboot if the internet goes down?
I would look at any dust accumulation around vents or device placement and make sure its not overheating. Also look in administration>system and make sure there is no scheduled reboot set.

It actually runs very cool, it's near some air flow and the temp is 43-45 C. No scheduled reboot. It happened twice in about an hour's time. Weird.

Normally shouldn't reboot, but depending on what the modem is doing it can happen. I'd check the modem logs just to see if anything correlates.

The other possibility is power. How old is your N66U? I seem to be seeing more reports of 'weird' things being fixed by replacing the wall wart power supply. The power supply seems to be one of the first things to go as things age.

Thanks, John. There were two weird items in the modem log- the timing on them was strange... January 1 1970! They did not correlate in the log to the correct times the reboots happened but considering the time weirdness maybe that is not surprising.

Jan 01 1970 00:00:15 6-Notice N/A Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout ;

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!