What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John u thank I can just reload V22BA over V20E9 without doing a total reset, that's what I'm on now is V20E9 on the RT-AC68U
Should be able to load without a reset. Or go backwards as well (going back you'll leave some extra nvram variables that aren't used, but it shouldn't hurt)

Hey @john9527, nothing important.
Are you ever going to add .ash_history in BB in the current version or in an eventual update to 1.25.1?
Nothing pressing to answer, just planning ahead.

Are you ever going to add .ash_history in BB in the current version or in an eventual update to 1.25.1?
Im assuming its missing in Johns current build? ... what about the current merlin alpha? ... i didn't select shell history on in AB so i wouldn't have noticed.

Im assuming its missing in Johns current build? ... what about the current merlin alpha? ... i didn't select shell history on in AB so i wouldn't have noticed.
Merlin's had it for a while, hence the option to enable it in AB.
John's never had it, it is silently ignored even when enabled in AB-Solution.
Since I'm going to set the history to 'on' by default as with the symlink now, I want to build in an if clause to exclude the menu and option if firmware is 374.43 or lower.

Merlin's had it for a while, hence the option to enable it in AB.
John's never had it, it is silently ignored even when enabled in AB-Solution.
Since I'm going to set the history to 'on' by default as with the symlink now, I want to build in an if clause to exclude the menu and option if firmware is 374.43 or lower.
I tested the shell history option was working ok on the AB3 beta trials with an earlier build of merlin (360.62 most likely), but i don't have it switched on in regular use. I was just wondering if it was still there after the change to BB 1.25.1 in the 380.65 alpha. Is there a way you can test for it directly rather than testing for firmware build?

apologies to @john9527 for the minor thread drift :)

Last edited:
I tested the shell history option was working ok on the AB3 beta trials with an earlier build of merlin (360.62 most likely), but i don't have it switched on in regular use.
Due to some coding FUBAR, the history no longer works in the released AB3.
I was just wondering if it was still there after the change to BB 1.25.1 in the 380.65 alpha. Is there a way you can test for it directly rather than testing for firmware build?
RMerlin is a saint in such things, history is still there and works.
Without the history set to 'on' in AB, enter some stuff in the terminal.
Then see if you find /home/root/.ash_history and check if the commands are stored.
Since this is a volatile directory, AB copies / restores the file to jffs, sorting and removing dupes at the same time (well, that is what my local copy does and the release version should do, if not for me).

Without the history set to 'on' in AB, enter some stuff in the terminal.
Then see if you find /home/root/.ash_history and check if the commands are stored.
I checked and found the commands are stored as you mentioned. Just needs the tweak in the AB script then. Am surprised that nobody complained it wasn't working...must have a low usage. Turning it on by default for a particular reason?

I checked and found the commands are stored as you mentioned. Just needs the tweak in the AB script then. Am surprised that nobody complained it wasn't working...must have a low usage. Turning it on by default for a particular reason?
From the screenshots I see posted here, the terminal history is a seldom used feature in AB.
But I am tired of having to enable it every time I install it new.

Since the up/down arrow for the command history is a standard feature in every *NIX shell and Merlin has added support in Ash shell, I might as well enable it by default. Cant hurt. The menu for both, history and symlink will be moved to the sub Menu page. If anyone wants to disable it, the option is still there.

No need to answer @john9527, I just check if the file .ash_history is present. It gets created after the first command is run in ssh and a sure indicator if the fw version supports it.

Ahhh....you slipped it in when you added 'dos2unix' after I had, and I missed it :)

@thelonelycoder - I'll pick it up for my next release. Still a good idea to keep your check for backward compatibility though.
How good of you, users will appreciate it.
The compatibility is auto-checked before the history is auto-enabled. Will build in check if it suddenly becomes available in a fw update. Can't do it with your fork with a fw version change, yours is stable as a rock at 374.43, and I don't want to run a version check on your dev version number (e.g. V22BA vs V20E9).

How good of you, users will appreciate it.
The compatibility is auto-checked before the history is auto-enabled. Will build in check if it suddenly becomes available in a fw update. Can't do it with your fork with a fw version change, yours is stable as a rock at 374.43, and I don't want to run a version check on your dev version number (e.g. V22BA vs V20E9).
I was thinking of your check for the existence of the history file. Agreed it's always better not to build in specific level checks.

How come i Think my home wifi is slower with my new 100/100Mbit then before with 50/50Mbit ?

Got A Asus RT66U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RMerlin Just thinking about busybox applets.....we should probably try and keep in sync. I'll pick up history and monotonic syscall, but over time I've picked up a couple more (you already found xarg). Additionally, I added
time, uniq, getopt/getopt long and mktemp

How come i Think my home wifi is slower with my new 100/100Mbit then before with 50/50Mbit ?

Got A Asus RT66U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't think of a reason.....start by disabling any QoS/Bandwidth limiter to make sure nothing is set up there for your old speeds.

Can someone confirm that using v20E9 with factory defaults can setup a wan pppoe connection ??
For an unknown reason my rt-n16 rebooted to factory defaults and i could not set it up to use my pppoe wan.
What did worked though is restoring an older backup file (25.07.16)
unfortunately i didn't saved logs 'cause i was i a hurry to restore family's internet connection for Christmas :)

Can someone confirm that using v20E9 with factory defaults can setup a wan pppoe connection ??
For an unknown reason my rt-n16 rebooted to factory defaults and i could not set it up to use my pppoe wan.
What did worked though is restoring an older backup file (25.07.16)
unfortunately i didn't saved logs 'cause i was i a hurry to restore family's internet connection for Christmas :)
Hi! Yes, I can confirm 20E9 can setup a PPPoE connection at least on my AC68U (my ISP even has a specific VLAN tag I need to use and that also works)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!