What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
i have switched from merlin's 376.48_1 to fork's latest Update-05. do i need to do a factory reset and redo all the settings manually again? or can i keep my original custom settings intact?

Thanks

For that move you should do a factory reset. But check out this thread for a utility to make life easier (follow the QuickStart guide in the zip file)

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521

thanks for the prompt response john.

i was actually suffering quite a bit by the poor range even on 20mhz @ 2.4ghz mode. after switching to fork, even without resetting my settings i can see 'some' improvement in wifi range and stability.

will a factory reset 'actually' improve wireless performance further?

Regards

i did a factory reset after upgrade and did all the configuration again manually. 40mhz is still an issue. i can see some improvement in 20mhz mode though.

i did a factory reset after upgrade and did all the configuration again manually. 40mhz is still an issue. i can see some improvement in 20mhz mode though.

The last thing to do is to delete and reconfigure the wireless profiles on the clients. I've read that there may be some saved config information there that needs to be reset as well.

Yes i already did that. i'll use it for some days and check if there is any further improvement. but thanks for this fork development john...this release is helping many.

btw john i was just curious to know one thing....are all your updates (releases) 'same' as far as the wifi performance is concerned or some are better than the others?

I haven't heard about any reboot issues related to iPhones, but let's see if we can see what is happening. This is a case where the /jffs copy of the syslog may help out. If you have jffs enabled (and have not used the custom nvram switch to disable the copy), there will be two syslog files in the /jffs directory. Next time you see a reboot you can look at those to see if there are any hints as to what caused the reboot.

The random reboots, I think, are fixed. It was simple really! All I had to do was make a case with Apple, visit their Genius Support Bar, at my nearest Apple Store and presto, I got a new iPhone 6, no questions asked, just a quick diagnostic check. The issue was hardware related. This one, seems to be working great so far.

Yes i already did that. i'll use it for some days and check if there is any further improvement. but thanks for this fork development john...this release is helping many.

btw john i was just curious to know one thing....are all your updates (releases) 'same' as far as the wifi performance is concerned or some are better than the others?

No changes between any of the updates as far as wifi...they are all the same.

good news.

fork + some channel optimization = solid 40mhz link!

where previously i was getting a link speed of 72-162mbps, now i am getting 243+mbps. sometimes it even stays at 300mbps. remote areas also getting decent signals and all this is happening on 40mhz!

Lets see how long does this last.

Thanks john.

The random reboots, I think, are fixed. It was simple really! All I had to do was make a case with Apple, visit their Genius Support Bar, at my nearest Apple Store and presto, I got a new iPhone 6, no questions asked, just a quick diagnostic check. The issue was hardware related. This one, seems to be working great so far.

Thanks for the update....still interesting that the bad hardware caused a reboot. I've heard it happening on the modem side with a bad signal, but this is the first I've heard of it on the client side. Have to make a note....

...finally found some time to move to update_05.

All went smooth...thanks again for maintaining this fork! :cool:

Hello, sir-

Any leads on finding out a way to log webui sign ons?

hello,
where is the difference to the Merlin FW.
It is used the 374.43 but what does this mean?
Is it for the RT-N66U now DFS?
It is very hard for me to understand this.
Thank you for your help.
A PM would be good also in German.

hello,
where is the difference to the Merlin FW.
It is used the 374.43 but what does this mean?
Is it for the RT-N66U now DFS?
It is very hard for me to understand this.
Thank you for your help.
A PM would be good also in German.
Here's the best tip you'll ever get, in german;

Englisch lernen!

No kidding.

In short, Merlins FW is of a newer build, with all the pros and cons a new build could bring. This fork is based on a older, proven stable build with many fixes backported. Try either and use the one you like the most.

Hello, I'm trying to learn english but it is not easy.

If the DFS support in the 5GHz with Fork? Yes there have only 4 channels.
Are there differences in the WLAN performence?
Now if I want to switch from my 376.48_1 on the Fork, when I do a reset? Before or after the FW update?
The bad thing is yes the man after a reset always have to type everything again.
So let's just try to do something does not go fast.

Thank you

Hello, I'm trying to learn english but it is not easy.

If the DFS support in the 5GHz with Fork? Yes there have only 4 channels.
Are there differences in the WLAN performence?
Now if I want to switch from my 376.48_1 on the Fork, when I do a reset? Before or after the FW update?
The bad thing is yes the man after a reset always have to type everything again.
So let's just try to do something does not go fast.

Thank you

Probably safest to do a reset first. Then install the firmware. Then for good measure reset again, as they are quite different versions.

This might help avoid most (maybe not all) of the re-typing.
User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521

Or you could use the built-in save\restore config page but I think it's recommended not to do that between big jump forward or backward in
firmware releases.

Last edited:
Hi,
1. has the FORK security gaps compared to the Merlin?
2. What is with DFS in GHZ wireless?
3. Are there differences in the WLAN performence?

Thank you all ...
EDIT. in the first link I see Update 1,2,3,4,5
What do I need to take now?

Last edited:
HorstG,

1. I do not believe so, most if not all security related fixes have been back ported to this firmware.
2. I do not have an informed anwser about DFS, but someone else might.
3. I've read people say better signals strength with this line of builds, as for performance itself I can't say it's better or worse than Merlin's latest, I barely use the wireless features and I have not tried the most recent 376.48 release yet.

Update 5 is the latest release.

Last edited:
Hello, sir-

Any leads on finding out a way to log webui sign ons?

A bit of progress :) Here's a snippet of my syslog with a login/logout/login sequence....

Nov 14 21:24:07 openvpn[1000]: Initialization Sequence Completed
Nov 14 21:24:13 crond[641]: time disparity of 2036423 minutes detected
Nov 14 21:24:18 webui: login user 192.168.1.100
Nov 14 21:24:45 webui: logout user
Nov 14 21:25:09 webui: login user 192.168.1.100
Nov 14 21:25:13 dnsmasq-dhcp[1062]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.218 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Still have some testing to do as the only place I could find to easily put the hook is sort of strange....and there were two places to go through between javascript and c just to make life interesting.

Last edited:
New user first post.

First off I want to thank all the users here for contributing their time making this site what it is. I spent almost 40 years in the hardware side of computers so I'm not new to flashing roms and know what can go wrong.

My previous router was a mOnO wall and the wireless was getting outdated and had been thinking about a new router. New Egg had a special on refurbished RT N66R routers for $79 and I was hooked. It's been operating perfectly for a couple of weeks now and since I'm not one to leave things alone I started reading up on third party firmware and decided on John's forked version of Merlins work.
Last evening I did the deed using John's version 5:p
I thought I had a good knowledge of the procedure but not so, I kept getting errors and constant flashing power light after the load:eek:
I read a reply on a tomato thread where a user said when an error appears just walk away and come back later so I retired for the evening:(
When I awoke this morning all the lights were correct and life is good:)

Other than that it went perfectly. I read just now Asus has released a new version today so in good time I expect I'll be updating again.

Thanks again John and Merlin for you time

JoBo

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!