What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi John were can I get your forks I been looking for it but I can't find it anywhere online thanks sir appreciated
Thanks for the info. One thing...can you post your memory and nvram utilization running the V18 code? I've been adding things over time, and wonder how the N16 is doing .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Hi John were can I get your forks I been looking for it but I can't find it anywhere online thanks sir appreciated
I am not John, but try the very first message in this subforum.

My AC66 had started persistently to reboot once or twice a day everyday. I was using John's firmware for long time but I suspect the reboots began to happen a couple versions back (V29?)

I had monitored it carefully for a couple of weeks and confirmed the daily reboots is actually happening. My first thought was a hardware malfunction. I ordered AC68 and replaced it. (Now I own 5 ASUS routers over 3 sites)

Then I tried various settings for the retired AC66 for testing. Upgrading/downgrading John's firmware a couple of version back and forth with total nvram erasing and manual settings. Even CFE rewrite.

Still reboots once or twice (at random time) daily. No overclocking, no nothing. CPU temp. was about around 56C, wifi is also around similar range.

Finally I tried Merlin's 380.70 on AC66. Erasing nvram, then manual settings, Boom, stable for over 5 days now.

Since many people are using John's without problem (many thanks to John), including me with my N66, this may be an isolated and peculiar case. Maybe related to hardware, the famous on/off switch problem (I had to took out the spring and super-glued the plastic) happened a week after daily reboots confirmed.

So please consider this as an effort to share an experience.

As Merlin's AC66 support has been ended, I am still partial to John's firmware and probably try newer version on my AC66 as it comes out.

It's not easy to going back and forth between Merlin's and John's, but if you are experiencing something very weird, try both firmwares.

Hi John, just switched over from Merlin latent to your latest for AC66U and N66U + jffs formatet and factory reset. So far so good Thanks you for keeping these routers up-to-date

Hickups along my way.
AC66U
- LAN DHCP Server did not function at start. I had to enter the DHCP setting page and ’push’ apply for it to kick in.

N66U
- Flash firmware in recoverymode. Flash success but the Restoration Tool can not access the router after it. Solution was to accessing it through web browzer and make the rest of the cleaning and configuration afterward

Question: from now on, can I use the router upgrade page function for your future releases?

May I suggest a shorter namn display in WebGui for future releases. Like ’374.43 LTS v32E4’

@john9527 et al.

I'm having strange issue with a new Windows 10 tablet that uses Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 chipset on my RT-AC68R @32E4.
  • On Wireless log (System Info) page, the tablet name (which was set in Windows System Properties > Computer Name) showed up perfectly fine. But on Traffic monitoring per IP, only the tablet IP address was displayed. Usually Windows tablet name should show up there even if manual IP & hostname haven't been assigned.
  • On Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp, I couldn't find the tablet name or MAC address from the drop-down menu to manually assign an IP for it. If copied and pasted its MAC address to the box then clicked Add then Apply, that entry was gone.
  • Note that I also have an older version of that tablet which uses a Broadcom dual band wireless chipset and having no problem at all.
What would be the likely cause then? Thank you!

@john9527 I was really interest in your build just that I wonder with this quick question, why the QOS page cant be programmed, viewed, and set the same way like the other working ones? It looks a bit weird to add value before saving (otherwise it just not allow you to continue so) and the turn on and off switch. I have tried on many of the browsers and done the clear cache. Was it because of the sourcecode?

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

Firmware: 374.43_32E4j9527
Router: Asus RT-N66u

I just flashed the new firmware and almost everything seems to be working as expected. I've run into a problem with Parental Controls. I'm not sure if there's a github or some other location to post bugs, so i'm coming back to the source. Regardless of this report, thank you very much for putting the time into this firmware, it's very much appreciated.

Issue:
When browsing through the available "Client Names" dropdown in the parental controls list, I have to go IP by IP to get the MAC address to populate in the "Client MAC Address" field so I know which ones to limit. As I go through the list, selecting one Client Name to view the MAC and move on to the next Client Name to view the MAC and so on, eventually the Client MAC appears appears in the "Client Names" field. This causes the UI to throw a Javascript error about invalid characters. There is no way to get out of this message without changing the URL.

I also suspect that this puts the router in a bad state, or at least the http service. After I run into this issue and truncate the URL so i'm taken to the main page, the admin pages never load all of the way. There are missing images and odd empty tables. The easiest way for me to get things back to normal is to reboot the router.

Reproducible: Always
Connected Devices: 14

Confirmed with Firmware 374.43_32D8j9527 on RT-AC68U. Internet Explorer 11.

UPDATE: Appears to be an IE issue. No problem using colons in Chrome.
UPDATE 2: Spoke to soon :rolleyes:. Does something similar in Chrome. Triggering the error seems hit and miss though :confused:. But as @msalerno said it's impossible to clear the error message.

The DNS Filtering page has the same problem.

When browsing through the available "Client Names" dropdown in the parental controls list, I have to go IP by IP to get the MAC address to populate in the "Client MAC Address" field so I know which ones to limit.
Confirmed. I can't remember whether is always did this. It would be more convenient to be able to select an entry and then use up/down arrows to scroll through the list.

As I go through the list, selecting one Client Name to view the MAC and move on to the next Client Name to view the MAC and so on, eventually the Client MAC appears appears in the "Client Names" field. This causes the UI to throw a Javascript error about invalid characters.
The problem seems to be with entries in the list that don't have a hostname next to them in brackets. Selecting one of these "IP address only" entries populates the Client Name field with the MAC address which includes colons ( : ). The message pops up saying that only letters, numbers, spaces, underscores and dashes are allowed.

There is no way to get out of this message without changing the URL.
Clearing the Client Name entry by backspacing or clicking on the "X" allows you to continue.

Last edited:
Hi @john9527 ,

Do you know if will be included the new version of OpenVPN (2.4.6) in the next release for AC-66U?

Thanks in advance :)
BR & congrats for this great FW!

and @ColinTaylor

Issue:
When browsing through the available "Client Names" dropdown in the parental controls list, I have to go IP by IP to get the MAC address to populate in the "Client MAC Address" field so I know which ones to limit. As I go through the list, selecting one Client Name to view the MAC and move on to the next Client Name to view the MAC and so on
I can't recreate....tested on IE11, FireFox and Chrome. I get the full list with mac and name in the pulldown. You do need to wait about 5-10 minutes after a reboot for the pulldown list to populate correctly as it's tied to the networkmap doing it's work.

eventually the Client MAC appears appears in the "Client Names" field. This causes the UI to throw a Javascript error about invalid characters. There is no way to get out of this message without changing the URL.
Clients that don't provide a hostname are always going to be problematic, in more ways than just this (if it's not related to waiting for networkmap). I always assign a host name for those clients via a manual DHCP entry, or by assigning a name via a dhcp-host entry in dnsmasq.conf.add

EDIT: Also, the code for those pulldowns hasn't changed since early 2016

Last edited:
Hi @john9527 ,

Do you know if will be included the new version of OpenVPN (2.4.6) in the next release for AC-66U?

Thanks in advance :)
BR & congrats for this great FW!
Yes, I'm running it now in my dev version.....but there is nothing really earth shattering in 2.4.6 (main item was a Windows CVE)

@john9527 I was really interest in your build just that I wonder with this quick question, why the QOS page cant be programmed, viewed, and set the same way like the other working ones? It looks a bit weird to add value before saving (otherwise it just not allow you to continue so) and the turn on and off switch. I have tried on many of the browsers and done the clear cache. Was it because of the sourcecode?

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk
Not sure what you mean....can you give a step by step?

@john9527 et al.

I'm having strange issue with a new Windows 10 tablet that uses Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 chipset on my RT-AC68R @32E4.
  • On Wireless log (System Info) page, the tablet name (which was set in Windows System Properties > Computer Name) showed up perfectly fine. But on Traffic monitoring per IP, only the tablet IP address was displayed. Usually Windows tablet name should show up there even if manual IP & hostname haven't been assigned.
  • On Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp, I couldn't find the tablet name or MAC address from the drop-down menu to manually assign an IP for it. If copied and pasted its MAC address to the box then clicked Add then Apply, that entry was gone.
  • Note that I also have an older version of that tablet which uses a Broadcom dual band wireless chipset and having no problem at all.
What would be the likely cause then? Thank you!
No idea....sorry. Some of the Intel cards have acted 'strange'. Make sure you are waiting about 5-10 min after reboot before trying to make any DHCP assignments. Also, in the Windows driver make sure Turbo mode is disabled (I'm not sure if this will be present or is unique to AC chipsets).

I get the full list with mac and name in the pulldown. You do need to wait about 5-10 minutes after a reboot for the pulldown list to populate correctly as it's tied to the networkmap doing it's work.
Yes there are more missing hostnames just after a reboot (or refresh of the network map). But in my case the router had been up for hours and the hostname was present in the network map, DHCP leases and wireless log. The only place it didn't appear was in this dropdown.

I suspect that the dropdown list is using arp in some way and because the wireless client had been in sleep mode for a very long time it couldn't work out the name. So the entry in client_list_array contained a null name field.

I suspect that the dropdown list is using arp in some way and because the wireless client had been in sleep mode for a very long time it couldn't work out the name. So the entry in client_list_array contained a null name field.
No, it's not using a new arp....it's just reading a structure that was built by networkmap. The same code is used for any of the pulldowns for client selection (QOS and Bandwidth limiter, DHCP assignments, WOL, VPN Clients, etc.) I do see a 'forever there' bug in DNSFilter if the client name is > 20 chars....does that apply? Otherwise the client name is filtered to only contain alphanumerics, spaces, dash and underscore.

If you bring up the browser console, does it show an error?

No, it's not using a new arp....it's just reading a structure that was built by networkmap. The same code is used for any of the pulldowns for client selection (QOS and Bandwidth limiter, DHCP assignments, WOL, VPN Clients, etc.) I do see a 'forever there' bug in DNSFilter if the client name is > 20 chars....does that apply? Otherwise the client name is filtered to only contain alphanumberics, spaces, dash and underscore.

If you bring up the browser console, does it show an error?
Sorry, I can't check at the moment because I've restarted the client and it's showing the hostname now. But this is what it previously looked like:

Parental Control
Untitled 1.png

Untitled 2.png

Network Map
Untitled 3.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!