What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, I am wondering what is added/removed/fixed compared to the standard Asus firmwave. I do not see that being specified.
Take a look at this page. Then take a look at this changelog . Scroll down to 374.43 and see everything up to that version from the bottom of the changelog. Then add new security updates up to current builds that have been backported to this build. As I said, this is Merlins firmware just an older version that has been kept up to date with security fixes and new versions of various components.

I have enjoyed using this firmware for a few years now. However, I am bit concerned about whether or not it will be supported in the future.

Does anyone have any new information about the status of this project? Should I plan to migrate to different firmware in the near future?

I have enjoyed using this firmware for a few years now. However, I am bit concerned about whether or not it will be supported in the future.

Does anyone have any new information about the status of this project? Should I plan to migrate to different firmware in the near future?
I don’t think we have any verified information other than seeing newer versions posted to John’s Development folder on OneDrive. But there have been no public appearances or announcements from John.

What router do you have? What are your other options for firmware?

I don’t think we have any verified information other than seeing newer versions posted to John’s Development folder on OneDrive. But there have been no public appearances or announcements from John.

What router do you have? What are your other options for firmware?
Thanks for the reply. I'm only looking at this firmware right now. I'm not keen on switching, but I'll switch back to DD-WRT if this firmware is no longer maintained.

Thanks for the reply. I'm only looking at this firmware right now. I'm not keen on switching, but I'll switch back to DD-WRT if this firmware is no longer maintained.
If you’re still sporting the RT-AC66U_B1 you have a lot of options, including the original Merlin 384.13 (use AC68U firmware). Others running older MIPS routers have fewer good options, and this fork is probably still the best option for them.

If you’re still sporting the RT-AC66U_B1 you have a lot of options, including the original Merlin 384.13 (use AC68U firmware). Others running older MIPS routers have fewer good options, and this fork is probably still the best option for them.
Again, thanks for the reply, but I am pretty familiar with my firmware options. I was hoping (obviously hopelessly) that was more information available on the status of this firmware.

Just a note to people looking for alternative firmware that is being kept up to date. I have been using FreshTomato for a few weeks now and I really like it. It is on my RT-AC66U.

Here is the link: https://exotic.se/freshtomato/

But it's more generic like ddwrt and not targeted firmware like Merlin's. Surely it's not as performant as Merlin's or John's fork or have more specific security fixes.

But it's more generic like ddwrt and not targeted firmware like Merlin's. Surely it's not as performant as Merlin's or John's fork or have more specific security fixes.
Tomato has been around in one form or another for quite some time: since 2006 according to Wikipedia. I don't think their performance is on par with Merlin, but their security updates are top notch.

Last edited:
Tomato has been around in one form or another for quite some time: since 2006 according to Wikipedia. I don't think their performance is on par with Merlin, but their security updates are top notch.

Yes, I'm aware and AsusWRT is actually built on a Tomato base. But I thought maybe there's a lot more hardware-specific work that Asus and the forks have done to cater to the hardware and until John stops supporting my router I think I'm better off sticking with John's fork. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

fyi if you disable Hardware Acceleration in john's firmware it fixes the Android crashing

Thanks for suggestion. I will try this on my AC66U with 39E3. As I understand this function is called "NAT Acceleration" on the LAN > Switch Control tab. I wonder what it changes and how it impacts the performance of router.

UPDATE: Already found the answers to my questions about "NAT Acceleration" here: https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

Thanks! I've been having problems with random restarts recently and had tried back tracking through various options I'd amended recently thinking it was something I'd done all to no avail. My trusty old N66U now seems solid again :)

Yes, I'm aware and AsusWRT is actually built on a Tomato base. But I thought maybe there's a lot more hardware-specific work that Asus and the forks have done to cater to the hardware and until John stops supporting my router I think I'm better off sticking with John's fork. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Not trying to convince you, but Merlin helped with Fresh Tomato firmware.

You don't have to switch, but its something new to tinker with.

Looks like the main dev for that fork is leaving as of Oct. 27. I'd stay away until the dust settles.
The secondary dev and remaining devs are still around. The product is stable in my opinion.

UPDATE: I just installed Tomato on my rt-ac66u_b1 and the 5ghz signal strength is strong!
https://bitbucket.org/snowman58/freshtomato-arm/downloads/
https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.p...b1-files-for-testing.74879/page-5#post-309115

What worked was assigning my laptop a static IP of 192.168.50.2, gateway 192.168.50.1, mask 255.255.255.0 and flashing from the CFE server.

Last edited:
As I see from your signature - you're using E build and that means it uses the newest wireless drivers, actually the same as officilal or Merlin's firmware.
When I was using Merlin's 380.70 - disabilng HW NAT Acceleration didn't fix those crashes. I'm really curious how it fixes it in this fork, when it doesn't on Merlin's and official...

I have remembered that additionally I was disabled UPnP on WAN > Internet Connection page. Maybe it is not related at all, but give it a try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!