What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To what end? There are many proprietary components that are not obvious, such as the wireless and disk filesystem drivers.
To slim it down a bit if possible, so that it would use less resources while keeping the wireless and disk drivers.

Last edited:
To slim it down a bit if possible, so that it would use less resources while keeping the wireless and disk drivers.
It's already pretty slim. Most things, like the media server or samba can be tuned off in the GUI. They don't need to be removed from the firmware. There are a few processes that can't be disabled from the GUI. I terminate them from a services-start script, even though they consume almost no resource.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/service stop_mdns
/sbin/service stop_lpd
/sbin/service stop_u2ec

It's already pretty slim. Most things, like the media server or samba can be tuned off in the GUI. They don't need to be removed from the firmware. There are a few processes that can't be disabled from the GUI. I terminate them from a services-start script, even though they consume almost no resource.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/service stop_mdns
/sbin/service stop_lpd
/sbin/service stop_u2ec
Thank you; I'll give that a shot!

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/service stop_mdns
/sbin/service stop_lpd
/sbin/service stop_u2ec
Hmm. I thought I knew how do this, but how did you add the script and make it run when you wanted it to?
I'm guessing the below will do it:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-add-cron-job-on-asuswrt-merlin-wifi-router/

Update: I think I got it.
I can see the difference in the amount of memory used even though isn't a particularly large difference.
I also appreciate killing these services because I would think that it makes the attack surface of router somewhat smaller.

Last edited:
Actually, it’s not. The E would be a B if it were beta. There have been enough builds that he’s gone from 9 to B (hexadecimal). ;)
Thanks, I saw the version behind that ended with "A", and I mistakenly thought that stood for Alpha. Phew. I edited my post accordingly.

I even had the Betas in my favorites. Perhaps it's early onset senility on my part.
These are the Betas:
Merlin LTS Beta - OneDrive

Last edited:

Thx, I flashed development build 40EB to pick up some security patches.
Seems to work fine.
Edit: Unfortunately OpenVPN seems not to work on 40EB, connection is OK, all looking good in the log, however no traffic possible. :(
Hope john9527 can have a look.

Not using stubby for now because DNS over TLS is giving me intermittent problems recently. (Cloudflare.)
Worked well for quite some time on the 39E3 firmware on my RT-N66U.

Last edited:
Thx, I flashed development build 40EB to pick up some security patches.
Seems to work fine.
Edit: Unfortunately OpenVPN seems not to work on 40EB, connection is OK, all looking good in the log, however no traffic possible. :(
Hope john9527 can have a look.

Not using stubby for now because DNS over TLS is giving me intermittent problems recently. (Cloudflare.)
Worked well for quite some time on the 39E3 firmware on my RT-N66U.
You can make Cloudflare work better if you revert to 39E3 and add the stubby.postconf script I mentioned in this post.

It's hard to tell what's going on with these "development" releases since the code is not pushed to GitHub. My gut says @john9527 is not reading the forum feedback, but is only following Merlin's commit history for potential backports. I base this on his Changelogs not really addressing any issues mentioned in this thread.

It's hard to tell what's going on with these "development" releases since the code is not pushed to GitHub. My gut says @john9527 is not reading the forum feedback, but is only following Merlin's commit history for potential backports. I base this on his Changelogs not really addressing any issues mentioned in this thread.

My gut says this firmware has become abandonware.

@sto the posts above yours suggest otherwise. :)

Greetings, should I install this fork if I have the latest Merlin 380.70 from april 2018 for my RT-N66U ? I'm not looking for new features, my priority is stability. Also, can I expect a performance boost if I upgrade or should I pass this?

Greetings, should I install this fork if I have the latest Merlin 380.70 from april 2018 for my RT-N66U ? I'm not looking for new features, my priority is stability. Also, can I expect a performance boost if I upgrade or should I pass this?
If your current setup is already stable then another firmware won't make it "more stable". This build does have more up to date security fixes than 380.70 though.

Reactions: a5m
If your current setup is already stable then another firmware won't make it "more stable". This build does have more up to date security fixes than 380.70 though.

Thanks, I'm pleased with the stability of my current firmware. I was more curious if this fork would give me a boost in performance.

Thanks, I'm pleased with the stability of my current firmware. I was more curious if this fork would give me a boost in performance.
Impossible to say really. Everyone's situation is different and "performance" is a non-specific term. The only way to know if it makes a difference to you is to try it for yourself. That said, I wouldn't normally expect any major changes. I might help if you had a location you couldn't quite reach with WiFi. Maybe.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!