What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For the first time with this fork, I'm probably going to be rolling back to 6. My asus 66r is running in repeater mode and since this upgrade cannot keep the usb drive connected past 6 days. It appears connected in the GUI, but is not present anywhere on the network using SMB. This can be fixed by turning smb off and on momentarily.

The second thing is that performance seems to have dropped. I'm not using the AC feature that is mentioned above, but speed in N is unpredictive. My ISP has a solid 50mbps but speed testing anything on the network shows that it just stops functioning at small intervals (dips down to zero during the test). Connecting to the master router does not show this problem. There's nothing in the log to indicate the source of the problem. Both the 2.4 and 5g sides show the same issue.

Edit: in addition, the repeater is using the 2.4 side, 20mhz, always has been. The 5.0 side has always acted as bad as the 2.4 side is acting this version.

You should be doing LAN speed test, not WAN.

There are many settings in Pro tab, and just one of them can reduce your LAN/Wifi speed by as much as half.

Get a pen and paper and start testing.

For the first time with this fork, I'm probably going to be rolling back to 6. My asus 66r is running in repeater mode and since this upgrade cannot keep the usb drive connected past 6 days. It appears connected in the GUI, but is not present anywhere on the network using SMB. This can be fixed by turning smb off and on momentarily.

The second thing is that performance seems to have dropped. I'm not using the AC feature that is mentioned above, but speed in N is unpredictive. My ISP has a solid 50mbps but speed testing anything on the network shows that it just stops functioning at small intervals (dips down to zero during the test). Connecting to the master router does not show this problem. There's nothing in the log to indicate the source of the problem. Both the 2.4 and 5g sides show the same issue.

Edit: in addition, the repeater is using the 2.4 side, 20mhz, always has been. The 5.0 side has always acted as bad as the 2.4 side is acting this version.

Sorry to hear you're having problems....but I can't think of any changes that would account for what you are seeing.

But, for your first issue (USB disappearing), if you are basing that on being able to see the DLNA server you should try disabling IGMP snooping for the interface you are using (under Wireless/Professional or LAN/IPTV for wired). I was also having problems with the minidlna server randomly disappearing and when searching found that fix listed in one of the minidlna forums.

You should be doing LAN speed test, not WAN.

There are many settings in Pro tab, and just one of them can reduce your LAN/Wifi speed by as much as half.

Get a pen and paper and start testing.

I have no Pro tab. The main AP is not an ASUS and has not been updated anytime recently. The best I can do is compare the main AP and the repeater's speedtest results and they do not match anymore. main is a solid 50mbps/5 while the repeater running this firmware is inconstant.

Sorry to hear you're having problems....but I can't think of any changes that would account for what you are seeing.

But, for your first issue (USB disappearing), if you are basing that on being able to see the DLNA server you should try disabling IGMP snooping for the interface you are using (under Wireless/Professional or LAN/IPTV for wired). I was also having problems with the minidlna server randomly disappearing and when searching found that fix listed in one of the minidlna forums.

igmp snooping is hidden in repeater mode. I'm using SMB, no DLNA due to reliability and controllability issues related with DLNA. I was so happy the day I turned DLNA off.

Update other AP firmware.

Then use this link to get to Pro Tab settings in Asus router, just add your ip;

192.x.x.x/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp

Update other AP firmware.

Then use this link to get to Pro Tab settings in Asus router, just add your ip;

192.x.x.x/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp

other firmware has been up to date...ususally once a year.

Pro tab has only the following:

1) Frequency...to select the freq I want to view.
2) Roaming assistance...won't use due to massive instability to the network

nothing else.

Followon tab is the site survey tab which lets me see all the routers nearby.

other firmware has been up to date...ususally once a year.

Pro tab has only the following:

1) Frequency...to select the freq I want to view.
2) Roaming assistance...won't use due to massive instability to the network

nothing else.

Followon tab is the site survey tab which lets me see all the routers nearby.

Test The AC66 in normal router mode by connecting the router directly in to ISP modem via LAN cable. Test it with each firmware; this will tell you if it is the firmware issue or if the Wifi settings are different when AC66 is set it as a Repeater.

Run the test directly to your ISP test site after 11pm, instead of using 3rd party speed test sites.

@ John.

Can you unlock/unhide Pro settings when a router is in Repeater mode??

DD-WRT firmware gives you access to all the settings no matter which Mode you use on a router. Asus on the other hand, decided to hide everything for some reason(Pro Tab in Repeater Mode), which spills over to Merlin and Fork firmware.

Last edited:
Test The AC66 in normal router mode by connecting the router directly in to ISP modem via LAN cable. Test it with each firmware; this will tell you if it is the firmware issue or if the Wifi settings are different when AC66 is set it as a Repeater.

Run the test directly to your ISP test site after 11pm, instead of using 3rd party speed test sites.

@ John.

Can you unlock/unhide Pro settings when a router is in Repeater mode??

DD-WRT firmware gives you access to all the settings no matter which Mode you use on a router. Asus on the other hand, decided to hide everything for some reason(Pro Tab in Repeater Mode), which spills over to Merlin and Fork firmware.

I was unable to test it because I flat out don't want to climb in my stick to connect it to the Internet. Califonia does wierd things. I just reverted the firmware and the problem was solved. Went back and peed was an issue, can't tell the drive due to the 6 days to failure, restored old firmware, problem solved again. I'm 100% sure it's a firmware problem.

One thing....you didn't mention which router you are using? Depending on the options you are using, you could be disabling CTF which can reduce the throughput (but that doesn't follow since I think you said you are getting good speeds on a wired connection).

John just an update, after much fooling around and applying Merlin 376_49_5 and back to ASUS stock 3754 and still no resolution I applied Merlins 378_50 beta2 tonite and that solved this issue. No idea what effectively happened or why restoring back would not solve it. Only other thing I did differently was earlier I manually cleared nvram using telnet and set back up while still on ASUS stock just to see if that would help. Still didn't fix anything but after applying the new beta a while ago and a GUI factory default it seems to be resolved. LOL I even restored the iPhone today to see if it would fix it. Anyway wanted to share in case it may help others or shed any light. Strange indeed!

My internet speed issue has been resolved and will probably be pushed on the next update. Thanks guys for the update!

Totally wowed by this fw.
Never knew my N66U has such high wan to lan throughput.
Its always been 880 to 900Mbps.

After this upgrade from stock to John Fork's, I'm constantly getting 910 - >920Mbps of download speed.

dtZdeeV.jpg

Appreciate the hard work done. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm about to do some testing on fixes for v7 but wanted to check to see the current way to reset the nvram via buttons on the router (don't know if it has changed)...router in sig. I'm wanting this back to as far as new and no corruption due to bad settings that may still exist. As far as I know, a factory restore may be all I need...but maybe more.

There is no way to clear nvram inside the gui. Just flash the firmware then shut the router off and then press and hold the wps button while you power on the router hold the wps button for about 10 to 15 seconds then release. Your router will be reset to factory and nvram will be cleared.

I'm also partial to the 'WPS' reset when I want to make sure everything is cleaned out. As Kel-L said, load the new code, then power off. Power on and hold the WPS button for 10-15 seconds (the power led will start to blink quickly). Release the WPS button and the router should reboot back to the initial setup screen.

Last edited:
There is no way to clear nvram inside the gui. Just flash the firmware then shut the router off and then press and hold the wps button while you power on the router hold the wps button for about 10 to 15 seconds then release. Your router will be reset to factory and nvram will be cleared.

Yep, that did the trick. Now time to see how long v7 runs at full speed before I see the reduction I was seeing before. Wife's on the phone so I can't test it yet.

Just a question. In regards to Wi-Fi performance, the actual difference between Merlin's firmware and this fork is that the former has now an 80mW cap and the latter doesn't? Assuming you set John's fork firmware at 80mW, you are experiencing the same wifi performance as with the latest Merlin releases?
Or is there something else other than the 80mW cap? I've read about 10dB difference, which seems a lot.
Thanks for any insight.

Just a question. In regards to Wi-Fi performance, the actual difference between Merlin's firmware and this fork is that the former has now an 80mW cap and the latter doesn't? Assuming you set John's fork firmware at 80mW, you are experiencing the same wifi performance as with the latest Merlin releases?
Or is there something else other than the 80mW cap? I've read about 10dB difference, which seems a lot.
Thanks for any insight.

I think there is more going on then just power settings. Even if you left John's fork at 80mw the signal and range is better then the newer builds. I think this may be due to John using the EM code in his firmware and keep in mind i am only talking about the RT-N66U i cant speak for any other Asus router using the fork.

Thanks for any insight.

There are at least 3 differences that can lead to differences in performance.
(1) The closed source wireless drivers are different release levels
(2) There is initialization code in the firmware that appears to set up some hardware registers which may be changed between code levels
(3) In the case of the N66U, the fork changes what is known as the regulation revision from the defaults (EM mode). One thing that I know it does is open up the power settings a bit (but I believe still keeps them within the regulatory specs). It may also change some other parameters that aren't exposed outside of the driver.

So yes, there may be differences even with the exact same user settings. I also expect the degree to which you see the differences is dependent on ones' individual environment.

Which version?

Ermmm... I might be missing something really obvious here but how on earth do I know what version of the fork I am currently running and whether an upgrade was successful? I would be expecting to see some sort of differentiation in the 'Firmware Version' section of the WebUI but all versions report an identical number.

Thanks.

Ermmm... I might be missing something really obvious here but how on earth do I know what version of the fork I am currently running and whether an upgrade was successful? I would be expecting to see some sort of differentiation in the 'Firmware Version' section of the WebUI but all versions report an identical number.

Thanks.

Ummmm.....the Firmware Version in the Tools page and the Firmware listed in the banner on the top of each page changes with each release. Can you post a screen capture of what you are seeing?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!