What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, that's correct :) It's just a shorthand counting the number of bits set most significant to least significant....each value in the 'number netmask' is 8 bits....so 255.255.255.0 = 8+8+8+0 = /24

And to make it plainly obvious, 255 = 11111111 in binary. where the 8 is from is the 1 bits in the subnet mask, so a /24 is: 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 or 255.255.255.0
since there are 24 ones, the mask is /24. Alternatively, you can consider the host bits, which are to the right of the last one bit. The host portion gives you the number of IPs in each subnet. In the case of /24 that is 256 (less the bcast and mcast address) or .0-.255.

I actually simplified things a bit....the real restriction is that networkmap is hardcoded for a /24 netmask, and if someone is changing the 3rd value in the ip address it usually means they are trying to have a larger subnet (like having the dhcp addresses on 192.168.1.x and the static addresses on 192.168.2.x with a netmask of /22).

When the netmask is other than /24, the client status will either fail to find all the clients or get stuck spinning trying to find them. If you stay with a /24 netmask, you'll be OK.

Thanks for the explanation.

My network was originally based on an SMC router on 192.168.2.1 and I set up my printers and network drives as static IPs at 2.2 through 2.9. This is my third router since then and I have always reset the network to 192.168.2.x (/24 netmask) with dchp starting at 192.168.2.10. This way I don't have to reconfigure my printers, drives, and Windows/Linux drivers.

Glad to hear that this shouldn't cause any issues.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I just got an ac68, can I restore my ac66 backup to it since they are both using your room or do I need to setup from scratch?

I just got an ac68, can I restore my ac66 backup to it since they are both using your room or do I need to setup from scratch?

You can NEVER use the built in Save/Restore settings to move between router models or even different major code level changes on the same router (by major I mean where you are told a factory reset needs to be done).

However, I wrote a utility to help with this case, including a Migration mode to do what you want to do.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521

Take a browse through that thread to answer your questions.

You can NEVER use the built in Save/Restore settings to move between router models or even different major code level changes on the same router (by major I mean where you are told a factory reset needs to be done).

However, I wrote a utility to help with this case, including a Migration mode to do what you want to do.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521

Take a browse through that thread to answer your questions.
Nevermind, took 2 hours and got it all setup from scratch. AC68 uses different binaries and all my entware stuff do not work. had to do it all for optware. not exactly quick but got it done with 2 routers side by side. thanks so much for your prompt response.
Your utility looks great, will definitely use it next time i ever need to migrate or do factory reset.

Last edited:
Definitely not easy :)

I did some searching and in just about every log I looked at had the [undef] output in it. Best I can tell is that this is a common messaging code where the structures aren't completed until a client actually connects.

Thx.
It does give IP info when connected, so forget I asked.

And running -06 for a few days now without problems. :)

Just wanted to post a couple of 'informational' items from other threads....

(1) A user has now confirmed that the fork code works on the AC68P using the AC68U build. If you have a 68P and wish to use the fork for whatever reason, you will no longer be the 'first'.

(2) There has been some dialogue/press regarding a security exploit on OpenVPN Server. Merlin has kindly investigated, and here's a copy of his analysis (to save everyone a click). Based on this analysis, I'm not going to push an 'emergency' build out, but just pick up the new OpenVPN release 2.3.6 in the next update cycle.

RMerlin said:
For info, this issue can only be exploited by an authenticated user. So if the only one with an authorized certificate/username is you, then the only person who can crash the OpenVPN server would be yourself.

Therefore nothing to worry about there. The issue is more critical for tunnel providers (as their customers could potentially crash the OpenVPN server), or businesses with malicious/disgruntled employes.

Finally, while they label this as a security issue, this is more a crashing bug. This can't be used to gain access to a server, or steal any information.

wifi range fork vs SDK5

I'm running 2.4Ghz only on my Rt-n66u to get best possible range. Can anyone confirm that fork have the same wireless range performance as SDK5 build?

I have a RT-N66U which I purchased due to the range performance & range on 2.4Ghz matters to me also. This fork is based on SDK6 eng mode which I found to be ~4-6 ft shy of the SDK5 driver. I could live with the ~4-6 ft of range shrinkage so I have been running the SDK6 eng mod version driver since it came out.

I believe many who run this fork do so for increased wifi range on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (which I do run) over the stock SDK6 driver.

My suggestion would be to give this fork a try. If you do I believe you should clear your settings and put them in manually due to the firmware version you are coming from. You would also need to do if you decide to revert back.

Thanks @wet! I'm running the fork right now but need a litte bit extra range to please everyone in the family. Will try the older sdk5 build and report back the difference.

Downgraded from fork to sdk5, and yes I get better wifi performance on my rt-n66u! Live in a concrete house and run 2.4 only to get the best range.

Downgraded from fork to sdk5, and yes I get better wifi performance on my rt-n66u! Live in a concrete house and run 2.4 only to get the best range.

I am running the fork to get better WiFi range. I did also try SDK5 recently but Merlin made his view pretty clear here

Quote 'Older firmware versions are not safe to use, and a lot of bugs were fixed in addition to security holes.'

For now I will continue to run the fork - it seems to give close to SDK5 WiFi range without having to compromise security. In my case the WiFi range with the fork is sufficient

Hi.

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm running 376.48 right now on my AC68U but was curious about increasing TX power so I was thinking about downgrading to 374.43. Is there a quick reference on the differences between the two releases in terms of missing/upgraded features? Do I need to clear nvram/settings before downgrading?

Thanks!

Hi.

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm running 376.48 right now on my AC68U but was curious about increasing TX power so I was thinking about downgrading to 374.43. Is there a quick reference on the differences between the two releases in terms of missing/upgraded features? Do I need to clear nvram/settings before downgrading?

Thanks!

I would recommend doing a factory defaults after you downgrade to be safe. I am not sure if you might have to do it again before you upgrade back to 376.48 as it is based on SDK6. Perhaps John might shed some input on upgrading/downgrading.

Hi.

Thanks!

You should perform a factory reset after the code load when moving between the 374 and 376 levels (either up or down).

As far as what are the feature differences, I don't think anyone has actually tracked it.....I pulled the following changes from the Asus release notes.

376 code Network map new features:
- System status can now show CPU and RAM usage.
- Client status can show wireless clients signal strength.
- Client icon is changeable.
- Client name is changeable and parental control, QoS, manually assigned IP, static route, port forwarding client list can also refer to this name.

Under the covers, there is a later SAMBA driver (big change unlikely to be ported) and a different NTFS driver (376 should be slightly faster but some people have had problems with large drives).

You should perform a factory reset after the code load when moving between the 374 and 376 levels (either up or down).

As far as what are the feature differences, I don't think anyone has actually tracked it.....I pulled the following changes from the Asus release notes.

376 code Network map new features:
- System status can now show CPU and RAM usage.
- Client status can show wireless clients signal strength.
- Client icon is changeable.
- Client name is changeable and parental control, QoS, manually assigned IP, static route, port forwarding client list can also refer to this name.

Under the covers, there is a later SAMBA driver (big change unlikely to be ported) and a different NTFS driver (376 should be slightly faster but some people have had problems with large drives).

Thanks John

Duh.....one more thing. Even though the wireless drivers are all SDK6, they have different build dates so have changed as well.

Duh.....one more thing. Even though the wireless drivers are all SDK6, they have different build dates so have changed as well.

Did they edit the SDK6 wireless driver for the RT-N66U on the most recent firmware release (376.3702) from Asus? If not, when is the last time they updated it?

Last edited:
Did they edit the SDK6 wireless driver for the RT-N66U on the most recent firmware release (376.3702) from Asus? If not, when is the last time they updated it?

I have not seen a 376.3702 version of RT-N66U but the .3602/.3626/.3657 all have an October 2014 built date from the previous of June 2014.

Last edited:
I have not seen a 376.3702 version of RT-N66U but the .3602/.3657 both have an October 2014 built date from the previous of June 2014.

My bad, I meant 376.3602.

So, in other words you are saying the SDK6 wireless driver for the RT-N66U has not changed since the release of the first 376.1071 firmware build by Asus?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!