What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi. First time on this forum.... Think I have had / used most of the routers out there on the market. In the end I have always returned to ASUS. AC66, AC68, AC87 and now latest an AC5300. Tried the stock FW in between...but always returned to Merlin. My AC68 has always been and is rock solid and superfast. My best router ever...
I live in Sweden and my ISP is Telia with the speed 250/100MBit.

Although my AC5300 is not to my satisfactory. I loose Connection on both 2.4 and 5GHZ, also on the LAN.....like small hickups....also slow in connecting..The router also blocks alot of homepages like gais.se and gt.se speednet and bredbandskollen.se my son has also big problems to connect to Minecraft.......(these are only a few examples) there are more websites with problems. Using 380.59. PLS Help

Last edited:
You have posted in the wrong section. John's fork has nothing to do with AC5300.
OK I understand. Any admin that might help me to the right fora...

Do you mean "TX Power Adjustment" setting under Wireless/Professional? It is set to 80. What's safe to increase it to? It say max 200mW, should I just try 100-120?

Ok, now I am having more problems than before (no Tx power changes yet). My iPhone can no longer connect to the 5GHz signal. 2.4 works, but not 5. Laptop doesn't have a problem.

Overall, it looks like this firmware is a bit less reliable now. Any similar experiences?
Yes the TX power. You can experiment but I wouldnt recommend setting to 200 personally but thats just me. 100-120 may be a good place. Again it depends on your particular environment. On the phone, I would forget the network, reboot it then re-join the network. That updates the wireless driver parameters. Also most agree this is one of the more stable firmware versions out there esp for the N66 and older MIPS based routers. Here is some good information to take a look at. Guide

I just flash Johns Fork 374-43-v18b1 over RMerlin 380.57 1. to avoid FCC and Asus new reg 2. to test the wifi stability as acclaimed. I have not say I am impressed. About the TX issue discussed here. Leave it alone. I have played with TX in ddwrt for years.

hey guys, so after installing openssh-sftp-server via optware-NG. How can I get it to work with dropbear and transfer files with winscp (ultimately filezilla)?

is possible to disable writing http login log?
Code:
May 28 11:17:33 HTTP login: login 'admin' successful from 192.168.0.153
May 28 11:24:05 HTTP login: login 'admin' successful from 192.168.0.153
May 28 11:27:03 astra[941]: ERROR: [core/socket 6] failed to set rcvbuf 524288 (104: Connection reset by peer)
May 28 13:40:00 HTTP login: login 'ADMIN' failed from 192.168.0.153
May 28 13:40:10 HTTP login: login 'admin' successful from 192.168.0.153

is possible to disable writing http login log?

Sorry, but no. I consider this a bit of a security protection. In the past it's detected some login attacks as well as some anti-virus network scans that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

As a matter of fact, I've enhanced it for the next release so that the syslog includes the port number and also creates a logout entry on 'disconnect' (like when you close your browser while still logged in).

Hi, 2-years owner of RT-AC68U but newbie to John's Merlin fork. I have been on Merlin v376.47 since beginning but having a hard time getting PPTP VPN Server work with windows 7, iphone clients (WAN clients cannot establish connection, telnet cannot open port 1723 with local Win7 PC either - even after I followed and applied all the tutorials/instructions found on this forum and online as well) so I am considering loading John's fork (known for stability) instead to try out.

Questions:
- Do I have to update to Merlin v378.55 before loading John's latest fork v374.43 V17E8?
- Any other reliable FW version to consider for PPTP VPN and/or OpenVPN Server setup on RT-AC68U?

Thanks a bunch...

Asus RT-68R hardware version C1 is not supported in john's v18b1. Yet that version supported the Asus RT-68P which I believe has the same hardware as the C1. The reason I am concerned is that I saw at Walmart the Asus RT-AC68R C1 which I thought has a faster CPU that the A1 CPU HW version that I own. I want to use one of the Asus as a repeater, so compatibility is essential for me. Can it be that Asus put some firmware restriction on the new C1 CFE so upgrading/downgrading firmware became more difficult? New FCC reg? Just wonder!!

Yet that version supported the Asus RT-68P which I believe has the same hardware as the C1.

They're not the same. The HW rev C1 has a BCM4709C0, and the RT-AC68P has a BCM4709.

I have a Synology NAS with VPN server at home connected to AC66. If I connect to the server with all the traffic routed through the VPN, I can browse LAN with local IPs but I cannot reach resources by their domain names. Is it expected to work this way or can I modify it so I have both local IP through VPN and still working NAT loopback?

I have a Synology NAS with VPN server at home connected to AC66. If I connect to the server with all the traffic routed through the VPN, I can browse LAN with local IPs but I cannot reach resources by their domain names. Is it expected to work this way or can I modify it so I have both local IP through VPN and still working NAT loopback?
Just to make sure I understand, the VPN server is running on the NAS and not the router?
In any case, the running of a VPN server is different from NAT loopback. The server usually needs to tell the clients how to resolve the local names. For example, I have the following two lines in my custom config for my VPN server running on the router in order to resolve my local names (my local doman is home.lan and the router is my WINS server).

Code:
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN home.lan"
push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.1.1"

If I misunderstood your question, please give a little more detail on your setup.

Hello, John. Yes, I run VPN server on my NAS, not router, for performamce reasons. When I'm on public wifi network, my NAS services are acccessible through domain name like blahblahblah.com/service but without possibility to access local resources like smb shares. When I establish VPN tunnel, I can access local resources but loose the ability to address NAS services by domain name, so they are available only through local IP addresses like 192.168.1.23/service so my apps configured to work with domain names stop working. My question is can I have access to both local shares and address NAS services through domain name at the same time (while working through VPN tunnel)?

Your interface for VPN tun or tap? If it's tun that's expected.

Yes, it's tun as tap is not supported on iOS devices AFAIK. So is there any chance for me to have what I want?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!