What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How do I simply enable bandwidth limiting (either via web gui or ssh) for the main 5GHz Asus SSID (wl1)?
Sorry, but it says 'Guest Network' for a reason. You can't limit the main wireless networks as a whole.

You can:
- Give the clients a fixed IP and limit them individually in the gui
- I think there are ways through scripting to setup dsnmasq DHCP to give a particular IP range to the primary wireless networks and then limit that range in the gui.

Others may have some more ideas.

Is my RT-N66U's hardware limiting QOS?

(Please don't explain the principles of QOS to me, I already know;))

Hi guys, I'm running 374.43_2-19B8j9527 and have just tried using the QOS function for the first time. My line is a solid 158Mbps down and 10.3Mbps up.

After setting up Traditional QoS (with 150/9) I noticed that maximum speed I could download to my PC was ~82Mbps compared to 158Mbps before.

To investigate further I removed ALL of the QOS rules and tried again. I got ~90Mpbs. I then turned off IPTraffic and got ~96Mbps. (I tried using different priorities and values in Up/Download bandwidth with no effect).

I switched to bandwidth limiter and the maximum I could get with IPTraffic enabled was 92Mbps and 97Mbps without.

So my question is, is this a limitation of my hardware (as I suspect) or am I missing some magic setting somewhere (I can always hope)?

Thanks for your feedback and apologies if this has been asked before.

* Testing was done on a quiet network with only the wired PC active. The router doesn't run any other services beyond that basics, no torrents, no media server, etc.

Last edited:
So my question is, is this a limit of my hardware (as I suspect) or am I missing some magic setting somewhere (I can always hope).
That's a bit more that I would expect.....
But remember, turning on QoS turns off NAT Acceleration. For an experiment, try turning off QoS and also turning off NAT Acceleration and see what you get.

That's a bit more that I would expect.....
But remember, turning on QoS turns off NAT Acceleration. For an experiment, try turning off QoS and also turning off NAT Acceleration and see what you get.
Hi John, thanks for the reply. I already had (prior to using QOS) acceleration disabled because I was using IPTraffic, but I could still get 158Mbps down.

Thanks for clarifying that John9527, now how do I enable bandwidth limiting on the entire 5GHz guest network?

I have the primary router in wireless router mode (default / WDS AP Hybrid mode) and the secondary router in repeater mode.

I created a 5GHz guest network on the primary router and then under traffic manager - qos entered the target wl1.1 (user-defined bandwidth limiting) but unfortunately it's not working even after rebooting.

Screenshots from my router:
http://i.imgur.com/8jf8gUy.png
http://i.imgur.com/szmdCe9.png

Clients are accessing the 5GHz guest network through the repeater with no problem but the b/w limiter policy isn't working for some reason.

How can I login via ssh and verify / change this problem or is this something I can do from the Web GUI?

Is it even possible to enable bandwidth limiting on the entire guest network running your latest merlin fork for these asus rt-n66u routers?

Or is it a problem with how WDS is implemented with Guest Networks and WPA2?

Honestly, I'm out of ideas but if I can only get this to work then I'm finished!

Most obliged,

Steve M.

II was having problems with the Guest networ
Sorry, but it says 'Guest Network' for a reason. You can't limit the main wireless networks as a whole.

You can:
- I think there are ways through scripting to setup dsnmasq DHCP to give a particular IP range to the primary wireless networks and then limit that range in the gui.

You can:

k not appearing on the repeater. But I have since figured out that I have to loging to the repeater and tell it to connect to the guest network. So I have since logged into the main router (parent AP) 5GHz channel, do

Dear SMBForums:

Why can't I see the 2.4GHz Guest Network on my Repeater?

I have two new Asus RT-N66U routers flashed with the latest merlin fork firmware here (374.43_2-19E1j9527).

The primary router is configured in "Wireless router mode" (Default) & the second router is configured in "Repeater mode". WDS has been configured properly on both routers (remote AP MAC addresses, etc.).

I'm able to connect to the 2.4 GHz network SSID on the primary Wireless Router from the Repeater just fine but for some weird reason when I add a Guest Network on the Wireless Router it doesn't show on the Repeater. Any idea why?

I'm using WPA2 (no WEP option, and Open doesn't work well).

Is this by design that Guest Networks created on the Wireless Router will not be accessible on the Repeater?

I'm trying to set things up so that on the repeater both the main unlimited 2.4Ghz network and the bandwidth limited 2.4Ghz Guest Network are both available but this is proving impossible and I've searched everywhere and have been trying all day to get it to work. I even restored both routers to factory defaults and tried to reconfigure but the same issue persists.

Any suggestions to get this to work will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve M.

Last edited:
Dear SMBForums:

Why can't I see the 2.4GHz Guest Network on my Repeater?

I have two new Asus RT-N66U routers flashed with the latest merlin fork firmware here (374.43_2-19E1j9527).

The primary router is configured in "Wireless router mode" (Default) & the second router is configured in "Repeater mode". WDS has been configured properly on both routers (remote AP MAC addresses, etc.).

I'm able to connect to the 2.4 GHz network SSID on the primary Wireless Router from the Repeater just fine but for some weird reason when I add a Guest Network on the Wireless Router it doesn't show on the Repeater. Any idea why?

I'm using WPA2 (no WEP option, and Open doesn't work well).

Is this by design that Guest Networks created on the Wireless Router will not be accessible on the Repeater?

I'm trying to set things up so that on the repeater both the main unlimited 2.4Ghz network and the bandwidth limited 2.4Ghz Guest Network are both available but this is proving impossible and I've searched everywhere and have been trying all day to get it to work. I even restored both routers to factory defaults and tried to reconfigure but the same issue persists.

Any suggestions to get this to work will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve M.

What you're asking for will not work. When in repeater mode, the router cannot do 'guest' networks. You may be able to achieve this with some coding, but it is not something that will be too straightforward.

Perhaps I can statically assign IPs by MAC address to the few computers that need unlimited bandwidth and then set DHCP scope of IPs that are dynamically assigned to a bandwidth limiter by IP Range? If that's possible then no guest network is required.

Will that work?

If not can anyone please suggest an alternative?

Thanks, I read that article earlier today along with about a hundred other posts!

I wish I would have known in advance that it's impossible to connect the repeater to the guest network on the main wireless router.

There went my whole day in frustration and exhaustion -- DOH!

OneDrive seem to be down (first time ever I think). Any chance for a temporary mirror?

EDIT: Nevermind. Works now.

Last edited:
I'm getting three of these log messages every time an NTP update occurs, the messages are a couple of seconds apart.

Sep 14 21:20:15 ntp: waiting for dnsmasq...

I was getting more NTP messages, but then turned off NTP logging. I recently updated from the fork V14 to V18. I don't remember the messages being present before the update.

I think these messages are harmless. But is there any way to turn them off?

I'm running an RT-N66U in access point mode.

I wish I would have known in advance that it's impossible to connect the repeater to the guest network on the main wireless router.

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, the roadblocks make sense. My repeater only repeats traffic on the SSID to which it is logged in. I am guessing that your guest network has a different SSID.

I'm getting three of these log messages every time an NTP update occurs, the messages are a couple of seconds apart.

Sep 14 21:20:15 ntp: waiting for dnsmasq...

I was getting more NTP messages, but then turned off NTP logging. I recently updated from the fork V14 to V18. I don't remember the messages being present before the update.

I think these messages are harmless. But is there any way to turn them off?

I'm running an RT-N66U in access point mode.

That's a check I added in V18 to try and avoid problems with ntp updates. Unfortunately, I missed thinking about the router running in other than router mode. I'll need to provide a fix.

EDIT: An yes, it's harmless. It will give up waiting after 30 sec and move on to try the update.

Last edited:
updated my good old n66u today to 19e3, no problems seen so far. Thanks John!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!