What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Should I upgrade from 374.43_2-10j9527 to the latest version? The original post saying the old code base is may be more stable has left me leery

I think you misunderstood.

The older codebase (AsusWRT 374.43) that this fork is forked from is more stable, not the older versions of this fork.

Try running without any addons. Also, when you get that message, make sure you close that tab, then reconnect (and make sure you're not using the old bookmark :) ) I just set up an N66 connecting from a linux only system without any problems.

I did all of it, and still same issue.

However in private windows it works, so it must be some leftover in normal Firefox.
I deleted all history, cookies, and certificate exceptions with the router ip and asus domain name, but either the problem is not on those, or I am missing the one entry creating this issue.
I might even reinstall Firefox from scratch, since I have Firefox sync, but that might be bringing back the issue as well :D
And since I do not go often to the router settings, I can live with some extra clicks to get there. It is just annoying to know that I have to :D

I wouldn't know how to reproduce it on another machine, since it happened only on my laptop where I do all the initial settings after reset, which created the issue while changing ip, port, protocol, or something like that.

Just wanted to say thanks again John for this fork. Just loaded up 2 x TM-1900AC's that I converted over to RT-AC68U's both now running your latest (20E9).

I plan to "set it and forget it" at the parents house and the in-laws (I guess still considered the parents category).

For those that don't know, T-Mobile is selling these right now for $60 new (no strings attached) with coupon code "WIFI40":

https://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router.html

I wish I could order outside US. :(

Recently started to use ASUS router, and just installed this version. Here is my feed back if it can help.

I just installed John's fork version and I don't see wifi signal strength improvement, rather it is a little bit weaker. But to be fair, AC68U has the strongest wifi no matter ASUS/Merlin/John I installed. My laptop connection speed shows 260Mb while it was 290Mb with Merlin from exactly the same location. 2.4Ghz wifi strength is similar, 5Ghz is a little bit weaker.

Also I found some features are not there (or maybe just hard to find) which is a little bit inconvenient to me. It does not show real-time web traffic which I can easily find out that kids were not doing homework but rather watch youtube; I cannot block internet traffic for each device easily like latest ASUS/Merlin; and for parent control, I cannot find way to block adult sites for each individual devices. These features may hide somewhere, and missing them is not deal breaker, but I just miss them a little bit.

For stability, I assume latest ASUS/Merlin is pretty stable, but I lost wifi (cannot reconnect if I disconnect). I have HDDs connected to USB I am not sure if that's the reason. I will try this forked version for a few days, but I may move to Merlin as 5Ghz AC band can cover my whole house with good to very good signal except front/back yard.

If you read the original post, the point of this fork is to be an extremely stable version of 374.43. Security updates are maintained. It will not include many bells + whistles added by Asus/Merlin since that version.

Some of those extra features you are missing are not there, nor will they be. Namely, it does not have:
  • The new TrendMicro DPI engine functions for ARM routers
  • The enhancements to the networkmap for custom icons, client naming, etc.
  • Some of the enhanced gui formatting of later releases, for instance the new wireless log
  • Support for the ASUS router control app
  • All the changes/tweaks that ASUS may have made since the original code was released (and any newly introduced bugs :) )
There are many reasons to like this one, particularly if you do not need those new features. But it sounds like for monitoring purposes, you might prefer stock or Merlin's latest.

Last edited:
Recently started to use ASUS router, and just installed this version. Here is my feed back if it can help.

I just installed John's fork version and I don't see wifi signal strength improvement, rather it is a little bit weaker. But to be fair, AC68U has the strongest wifi no matter ASUS/Merlin/John I installed. My laptop connection speed shows 260Mb while it was 290Mb with Merlin from exactly the same location. 2.4Ghz wifi strength is similar, 5Ghz is a little bit weaker.
A lot depends on your clients and environment (walls, construction). For me on the AC68U/AC68P, both bands are roughly equivalent, but for me the 5GHz is slightly better (both in connect speed and signal). As they say, YMMV.

Also I found some features are not there (or maybe just hard to find) which is a little bit inconvenient to me. It does not show real-time web traffic which I can easily find out that kids were not doing homework but rather watch youtube;
True, that's provided by the Trend Micro engine. You can add something similar with scripting for my fork...do a search for 'webmon'.

I cannot block internet traffic for each device easily like latest ASUS/Merlin;
There never was a request for this, so I never looked at what it would take to add it. I suspect it's a little more involved than one may think.

and for parent control, I cannot find way to block adult sites for each individual devices.
AFAIK the parental controls features are the same. If you have a specific example, please add the details.

Just a quick note to those who celebrate today's holiday.....have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone here too!

many thanks for your great firmware. your firmware is really stable. Can you please help me. I find that in day time. the best available with less congestion is on channel 1 but in the night time I somehow find the best channel is 11 instead. Can you please teach me how to write script to schedule based on the time may be 6AM to 6PM as channel 1 and 6.01PM to 5.59AM as channel 11.
and where to place this script?

FYI I have timer to power up from 6PM and power down at 7AM weekdays.since I am left for work anyway. I leave it power up 24hour over the weekends

Doesn't Auto channel automatically choose the "best" channel?

I'd be hesitant to do the automated Ch.1 to Ch.11 switching because if your neighbors' WiFi uses Auto then it's hard predict which channels are best. What's best today might be the worst next week.

If you still want to do it, you could use cron to modify the wl0_chanspec & wl1_chanspec nvram vars then maybe run restart_wireless... I think...

Does this fork have some form of throughput (mbits/sec) graphs/speedometers for upload/download rates?

Thanks.

You think? you use auto? think again. It was clearly stated above. I know my neigbour. I live here long I know what's going on. I know people around here. know your neigbour. let us leave it to someone who able to answer :)

I did answer your question in the third paragraph of my previous post.

Did you try it? What problems did you experience?

I use this fork since version 03 with full satisfaction. Now I have registered an SNB account, first I want to thank John for the excellent work on this firmware!

Now.. ofcourse I also have a question.. :) and I could use some help with it because I don't have much experience with iptables configuration. I use OpenVPN for years now for all my devices. Now I would like to configure the below scenario on the secondary OpenVPN server on the router:

Behind my ASUS N66U, I have a NAS that is used by an external client to store it's offsite backups. Lets say the OpenVPN server on on the N66U router has IP 10.6.0.1 and my NAS has an internal LAN IP of 192.168.1.50. When the remote client connects to the OpenVPN server, it gets IP 10.6.0.2. What I would like to achieve is that the remote client (10.6.0.2) can ONLY access the NAS IP (192.168.1.50) in my local network. All other devices etc. may not be reached/discovered etc.

The OpenVPN server is working and I configured the following from the GUI:
Push LAN to clients: NO
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic: NO
Respond to DNS: NO

With these settings I can connect to the OpenVPN server and ping it's IP (10.6.0.1), but obviously cannot connect to anything else in my LAN. I think I have to setup the specific rule within iptables, but I don't know how... :)

Can anyone help me figuring this out?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!