What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@DcR Your network appears to be on 172.16.x.y. I don't know about John's firmware but I know that with Merlin's the network map doesn't work with anything other that 192.168.1.0/24. Also, how large is your netmask and DHCP pool?
I hope this is not true for this fork. My local ip is 172.16.0.1, netmask is 255.255.0.0, and my DHCP pool is 172.16.16.1-172.16.16.254.

I use a 10.*.*.* address for my internal network and network map works fine for me.
Thanks for sharing. Will try the 10/8 prefix again in the near future if I find no other fix (I need to change too many rules in my network to just swap it).

Networkmap only will scan a /24 netmask.
I also seem to remember that the 172.16.0.0 address space had some special handling.
Both should not be different from the later Merlin builds.

Reactions: DcR
Networkmap only will scan a /24 netmask.
I also seem to remember that the 172.16.0.0 address space had some special handling.
Both should not be different from the later Merlin builds.
Fair enough, wasn't aware of this limitation. Changed my local subnet to 172.16.16.0/24 and the network map is working again. Very happy. Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help people. :)

Dual WAN seems to be completely broken. My RT-AC66U works OK in dual WAN mode in original Merlin firmware. But not in this fork. Single WAN is OK but as soon as I turn on dual WAN, router keeps restarting constantly. Otherwise, stable and works as intended. Thanks for the great job.
Any info on Dual WAN, please ???

i am new in this..

if i am using Merlion firmware 380.70 what should i do?

As Merlion firmware are dropping support for RT-AC66U router, i am planning to move to this firmware.

what is the different between Update-32L4 and Update-32E4?

i am using RT-AC66U router.

Last edited:
@XelNika @ColinTaylor

I did the work to add DFS support for the AC66, but honestly don't remember if anyone has ever tried it/confirmed it works. You do need to log in to the router and
nvram set wl_dfs_enable=1
nvram commit
and reboot

Just to provide some feedback:

After enabling DFS and rebooting, the router never came back up. Turning it off and on again solved it.

There seems to be a bug in how it handles channel 140 (the highest channel available in EU) with 40 MHz channel width:

Channel bandwidth: 40 MHz
Control channel: 140
Result 1: Channel 56, 20 MHz width

Result 2: Channel 40, 20 MHz width

Result 3: Channel 116, 20 MHz width

Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Result 4: Channel 140, 20 MHz width

Control channel: 136
Result 5: Channel 136, 40 MHz width​

I've always used auto channel selection on Merlin and ASUS FW so I don't know if this is specific to your version.
I'll be testing DFS channel auto selection now. It has chosen possibly the worst non-DFS channel (site survey shows eight other networks on the same channel), but that's par for the course. It'll probably switch at some point.

my router is rt-n66u im using a stock rt-n66u firmware Can you someone advice me if i should get the e4 default build or legacy l4 build.

And is it possible to just download and flash?

many thanks

There seems to be a bug in how it handles channel 140 (the highest channel available in EU) with 40 MHz channel width:
I'd have to dig thru the the registration db, but there are often quirks with the last channel and how it can be used, i.e. it can't act as the primary channel in a 40MHz width, only as an upper channel of a pair. It's the same for channel 165 in the US if I remember correctly.

I'd have to dig thru the the registration db, but there are often quirks with the last channel and how it can be used, i.e. it can't act as the primary channel in a 40MHz width, only as an upper channel of a pair. It's the same for channel 165 in the US if I remember correctly.

Perhaps just remove the option when using 40 MHz channel width then? Similar to how 80 MHz control channels are limited.

Perhaps just remove the option when using 40 MHz channel width then? Similar to how 80 MHz control channels are limited.
It might be a bug in the GUI for the AC66U, but on my AC68U the highest channels selectable are 140@20MHz, 136@40MHz and 112@80MHz. Which is correct for the EU.

But repeatedly switching between the options can mess things up, that's why I said earlier "(Sometimes the GUI gets confused and you have to reselect a specific channel number and then switch back to Auto.)"

updated my trusty N66u to 31E6 without a hitch. Well, angry faces from wife and kids because of the reboot, but they can learn to live with that :)

Thanks John !
New
Will you be using latest build 32e4, I have the same router not flashed yet trying to figure out how to do it successfully. I have the update 32e4 zip file but this is far as I got.

Currently that would be RT-AC68U_374.43_32E4 or Merlin's firmware.

Thank you for the quick reply!
I'm having the issues with the new AC66U_B1 that drops all the connections and stays frozen for ~20 minutes when I start to download something.
It looks like that I probably need to use the older firmware to fight this problem, however I'm not sure..

It looks like that I probably need to use the older firmware to fight this problem, however I'm not sure..
You said in the other thread that you are using stock Asus firmware. It would be easy to install Merlin's RT-AC68U_384.4_2. If you want to load this (John's) firmware you will have to use the recovery procedure.

You said in the other thread that you are using stock Asus firmware. It would be easy to install Merlin's RT-AC68U_384.4_2. If you want to load this (John's) firmware you will have to use the recovery procedure.
Well, I'm not sure now... I've been trying to google the same issue and it looks like that people who have relatively similar problems tried to use newest Merlin firmware and it didn't help.
On the other hand, people say that older versions are more stable and that's why I'm here.

I would be happy to get any advices, I really like the functionality of this router (moved from Time Capsule gen6), but this failure just kills all the hopes

@Mech This simplest and quickest thing would be to install Merlin's firmware because you can load it straight onto the router through the GUI. If that doesn't fix your problem you can always try this firmware.

@Mech This simplest and quickest thing would be to install Merlin's firmware because you can load it straight onto the router through the GUI. If that doesn't fix your problem you can always try this firmware.
Well, it looks reasonable. Will keep your posted.
Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!