What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for trying this out John .
Appreciate your time , might be your right.
Anyway my router is Ac66R not N66.
Sorry....don't have an AC66....N66 MIPS is the closest thing I have.
The AC66 is a bit of a 'hybrid' beast though....MIPS with AC wireless. There may be something there I can't see.

As @ColinTaylor mentioned, all evidence is that it's either in the NAT acceleration code or the wifi driver (both of Iwhich are closed source). So, really not anything I could do.

I'm testing the next release now, so connected my LG phone (Android Oreo 8.1) to an N66U and it connected without any problems, receiving both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

appreciate the response, john! I can leave acceleration off anyway; I haven't noticed any issues with it unchecked for months. glad you're back!

The only thing I see consistently is that some (not all) Android based devices like to 'burst' DHCPREQUESTs..anywhere from 3-10 at a time. I think it happens when they are either going into or coming out of powersave mode, but that's just a guess.

it is when they wake up and reconnect that it caused the reboots. we had two pixel phones arrive at the same time so each time one woke up the router would panic and reboot.

it is when they wake up and reconnect that it caused the reboots. we had two pixel phones arrive at the same time so each time one woke up the router would panic and reboot.
Just for my info....did you assign static addresses to the phones or are letting DHCP manage?

Could someone with a better memory and/or search skills tell me which firmware I need to use to move from 374.43 to 384.16 again? Thanks.

On which router?

The RT-AC56U isn't on the supported list anymore.

I'm also guessing it may be a single core version of the processor....the /proc/cpuinfo output will tell.
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1998.84

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1998.84

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

This is a cpu info of the N66U_C1

I have looked to docs of that router, only one thing that is different from an AC66U_B1 looks like lack of AC support.

What can happen if I will try to flash an N66U_C1 with a firmware of AC68U?

Maybe someone had already tried that??

Last edited:
Oops, the 1900
I always just upgrade from any modern version of the fork directly to Merlin from the fork GUI, then factory reset. Going the opposite direction requires recovery mode.

I always just upgrade from any modern version of the fork directly to Merlin from the fork GUI, then factory reset. Going the opposite direction requires recovery mode.
I decided to try 374.43 on my 1900 and want to go back to Merlin for comparison. I seem to recall the requirement to update 374.43 to an early 38x.xx version before doing the latest 384.16 update. I used the Resto Tool to go to 374.43 originally.

I decided to try 374.43 on my 1900 and want to go back to Merlin for comparison. I seem to recall the requirement to update 374.43 to an early 38x.xx version before doing the latest 384.16 update. I used the Resto Tool to go to 374.43 originally.
What @dave14305 said...

First off, thanks John for being back. Much appreciated. Didn't upgrade since 39E3 until I had confirmation it was really you :).

Second, I have issues with port forwarding, for the life of me, I can't get it to work. The ports remain closed, as tested by port testing websites.
I have tried:
- disabling uPNP
- disabling NAT acceleration
- disabling Firewall + IPV6 firewall on router
- disabling firewall on PC, opening ports on PC firewall
- disabling IPV6 on the router, and on my PC.
- use TCP, UDP, and BOTH ports
- different port numbers, and port ranges

I found quite a lot of posts on port forwarding issues with asus routers, but none solve my own issues.

The log here. None of these ports work. Do the N/A's mean something on the "description" and time left columns?
upload_2020-4-16_17-54-19.png

I have considered it may be an ISP thing, but I'm lost at the moment.

hello john9527,
thanks for providing an excellent firmware for older routers. i am currently running the latest merlin version on a rt-ac68u with amtm with freshjr qos and skynet without issues. i have a rt-ac56u which i have loaded with your latest version but i am unable to view the freshjr qos script in the gui. i remember seeing a prompt/warning before installing it warning/asking if this was a clean asus firmware version because it did not detect merlin. does your fork support the freshjr qos script view in the gui? if anyone has input you are more than welcome to chip in. thanks.

So I can go directly from 374.43 to 384.16 via GUI then? I thought it was more complicated for some reason because of a different format in the f/w or something.
Yes....quite a few years ago there was a difference in rootfs size that needed a 'step' install....but that's long since been eliminated. Just remember to do the factory reset after the install.

@john9527 , thanks for the excellent firmware. Until a week ago I was still using Merlin's latest 384.6 (AC56U) firmware which was working perfectly, but since it is no longer maintained, I was looking for alternatives to keep my old AC56U up to date with the latest security updates. I am glad I found yours!

Now, I have this problem - I don't know if it's related to V42E7 firmware (since it's my first time using this fork) but while connected to my own wifi, if I try to connect an openvpn server, I get no internet connection; the VPN client tells me I'm connected with the vpn server, but that's it - I cannot access neither the internet, nor the private network (where the vpn server is). I've tried to reset my AC56U to factory settings, to disable firewall, the same result... If I use my phone's hotspot, everything works. If I use my neighbour's wifi (which has the same ISP), still works. If I try the other way - to connect from outside to my own openvpn server running on AC56u (ie: using mobile hotspot), things are working (so my ISP is not blocking VPN connections). If I use some 3rd party VPNs (ie: nord vpn) while on wifi, again, everything is working. I don't know where to dig. What else could I try?

And one more issue I found: if I save router's settings and if I try to restore them (after a factory reset) - only some of the settings are applied (eg: 2.4G wifi name), some are not (eg: 5G wifi name, router's IP, wifi passwords)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!