What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello

Thanks for the stable FIRMWARE on my ac56U !

Others giving me random disconnections form the internet for even a minute ...total random

Now i have different problem / question .

Asus AC56U
Firmware 43_43E6j9527

I'm uploading my home cloud 2 TB into the google cloud ( connection up 30 mb down 240 mb )
So i will take probably 2 weeks ;-D

I also have FTP

If I download from FTP I'm getting around 3 MB/s but during uploading to google drive in the same time I'm getting from my FTP around 150 KB/s download speed...
So I turned QoS on my rooter AC56U and setup rules for google transfer to cloud ( port 443 ) to lowest priority and for my FTP ( I use port 5000 for it ) to the highest priority .

But now downloading is just a bit faster from FTP ( around 250 KB/s ) .
I do not want manually limit transfer to google drive.

So my question is ...
Is something wrong with QoS in the firmware or I'm doing something wrong ?
I want to during downloading from my FTP slowdown goggle drive ( upload ) automatically The most upload throughput should go to FTP connection.

Last edited:
My router is in Media bridge mode connected over 5GHz, so is this a false positive?
I suspect that is the case. Because you did a factory reset and configured it as a media bridge straight away you never created a password for 2.4GHz. It would seem that the router is not clever enough to realise that. If I were you I would change back to "router mode" and setup bogus passwords for both WiFi bands and then switch back to Media Bridge mode.

My router is in Media bridge mode connected over 5GHz, so is this a false positive?
It would seem that the router is not clever enough to realise that. If I were you I would change back to "router mode" and setup bogus passwords for both WiFi bands and then switch back to Media Bridge mode.
Colin has it right. I've added a fix for the next release to avoid the false msg.

You said "I also have FTP". What does this mean? Where is the FTP server and where is the FTP client you are talking about?

What transfer protocol are you using, FTP or FTPS?

I have FTP with FTP protocol and is on my OMV machine which is connected to the asus ac56u rooter.
So the whole my internet going through the rooter.
FTP client is on phone and other computers connected in different parts of the country or globe.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...lts-releases-v44e5.18914/page-541#post-593027

@mirek190 Show us a picture of your QoS rules and QoS priorities.

In openmediavault go to the FTP advanced settings. Enable the Passive FTP port range and set it as 55000 to 55100. You should now use these ports in your QoS rule together with port 21.

EDIT: Is your "home cloud" and the OMV two different devices? If so then rather than create QoS rules specifically for the FTP traffic it would be easier if you removed all of your QoS rules and then created a single entry just for the OMV with a "high" priority.

Last edited:
@mirek190 Show us a picture of your QoS rules and QoS priorities.

In openmediavault go to the FTP advanced settings. Enable the Passive FTP port range and set it as 55000 to 55100. You should now use these ports in your QoS rule together with port 21.

EDIT: Is your "home cloud" and the OMV two different devices? If so then rather than create QoS rules specifically for the FTP traffic it would be easier if you removed all of your QoS rules and then created a single entry just for the OMV with a "high" priority.

Look
Annotation 2020-06-16 212723.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-16 212147.jpg

As you see I have setup my FTP to the highest priority and google cloud to the lowest ... but still if i download something from my FTP via internet when my google cloud uploading data I'm getting around 160-200 KB/s ( should be at least 3.000 KB/s ) ...

When google cloud not uploading anything then I can download from my FTP with the speed of 3 MB/s ( 3200 KB/s)

Am I doing something wrong ?

@mirek190 The top of your first picture appears to be corrupted.

I suggest that for testing purposes you,

1. Set Default Priority Level = Low (default)
2. Remove all QoS rules
3. Add one rule for the MAC address of your FTP server. Set that rule priority as Highest. Do not include any port numbers. Protocol = TCP.

Then test again.

@mirek190 The top of your first picture appears to be corrupted.

I suggest that for testing purposes you,

1. Set Default Priority Level = Low (default)
2. Remove all QoS rules
3. Add one rule for the MAC address of your FTP server. Set that rule priority as Highest. Do not include any port numbers. Protocol = TCP.

Then test again.

Not helped ...
Still the same problem.

Not helped ...
Still the same problem.
Well I'm not sure what else you can do. When I tested QoS a couple of years ago it was working fine, but I had two internet feeds available to use. I don't have that anymore so I have no way of trying to recreate your problem.

The only thing I can suggest is that with the same rule in place you change the Maximum Bandwidth Limit for Upload Priority=Low to 50%. Then verify (by whatever means you choose) that your Google Cloud transfer is being limited to ~14Mbps. We'll decide what to do after that.

Well I'm not sure what else you can do. When I tested QoS a couple of years ago it was working fine,
and @mirek190
I haven't made any changes to QoS since Colin and a few others did some extensive testing a few years back. I haven't gone thru the thread in depth, but I'll throw out a few reminders....
- QoS only works on the base WAN connection. If running through a VPN (or a different interface other than the default WAN) it's not going to work.
- Rule order matters....first match will take precedence if there are multiple matches.

What does the QoS statistics page show? When you test do the traffic/priorities look correct?

@mirek190 I will admit that looking over the issue I am somewhat confused on what it is you are trying to have happen, but that could be my fault. I’ve only come to add that if you followed the advice of @ColinTaylor it should be working. The fork QoS works a treat on very slow connections up to 200 mb or more. Your original screenshot has conflicting/redundant rules which may or may not be causing problems. Also, I would adjust your classifications so that the highest priority rule doesn’t have such a high minimum on it, by which I mean the setting that you have as 90-100% and 80-100%, I would try reducing those down to match the other categories at 5-100% to see if that doesn’t smooth it out a bit.

Just installed this over Merlin on AC66U. For some reason IPv6 doesn't work. I'm using 6in4 with address from tunnel broker. It works when I'm using Network Tools inside router and ping something using ipv6, but advertise doesn't seem to work. Tried specifying address manually on network devices without success.

EDIT: Advertisement seems to work as devices do get IPv6 addresses, just without internet access.

EDIT2: I managed to get it to work by changing LAN Prefix to Routed /64 (for some reason I used same /64 as server/client on Merlin and it worked, but not on this firmware). Here's example settings for Asus routers using tunnelbroker 6in4: https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=2680.0

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am struggling to figure it out what settings should I change to boost wifi speed on my ac56u. Having cable connected to my system, I have a good 900+ Mbps download speed on fast.com. If I connect via wifi, I have a full speed link of 867mbps (max available on ac56u) with the router but the download speed with fast.com is around 350 mbps, many times even slower. I have tried to check the LAN speed between 2 machines connected via wifi but the transfer speed is around 250 mbps. In the past I could transfer files between computers (via afp protocol) with 80-90 MB/s. I checked the "jumbo frames" option on the router and things improved a little, for the moment (I got up to 650 mbps download speed on fast.com via wifi). Any help would be great.

If I connect via wifi, I have a full speed link of 867mbps (max available on ac56u) with the router but the download speed with fast.com is around 350 mbps, many times even slower. I have tried to check the LAN speed between 2 machines connected via wifi but the transfer speed is around 250 mbps.
That’s (350 mbps) about the best you can do on WiFi in my experience. The 867 you see is the link rate. Real world speeds will depend on proximity and interference factors but 350 is pretty near the ceiling realistically. Also when you are testing lan to lan transfers the connection method will matter. If one client is WiFi it will be slower, and if both are WiFi it will be even slower than that.

Not helped ...
Still the same problem.
I've just managed to test this again by running an upload to dropbox whilst simultaneously uploading from my LAN FTP server to my mobile phone and it was working perfectly. The traffic was being classified and prioritised correctly and the bandwidth limits were being enforced.

the nvram reset briefly solved the problem.... shortly after the reset, the download speed shot back up to ~270 MB but after a few hours, it falls back to the cap of "70 MB" again...

Any ideas on what else to try next?

Many thanks
Sorry missed this reply. Only other thing I can think of is maybe change to another channel that is clearer based on your surroundings. Also if others are are your network (kids esp) make sure they are not running some sort of file sharing service or something sucking up your bandwidth. :) I have run into that several times with folks having issues with speed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!