What's new

Forwarding some traffic from guest network into LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ooohhh

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an AiMesh setup of Asus devices (RT-AX86U, RT-AX56U, RP-AX56) and have a guest network. The guest network is implemented using the built in VLAN 502 with the subnet 192.168.102.0/24 and my main lan is on 192.168.1.0/24.

I want to allow access from my guest network to a specific IP in my LAN (printer) and I thought of adding some iptables forwarding rules to allow it, and the plan was to allow traffic from br2 (the bridge for VLAN 502) to that specific IP by adding a FORWARD rule, however even the most simple rule I did for test didn't work iptables -I FORWARD -d 192.168.1.52 -j ACCEPT the traffic gets dropped before somewhere and I can't find where.
Note that I did verify using tcdpdump that the traffic reaches the br2 bridge.

Any pointers on how to do it or to find where the traffic gets dropped would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

I have an AiMesh setup of Asus devices (RT-AX86U, RT-AX56U, RP-AX56) and have a guest network. The guest network is implemented using the built in VLAN 502 with the subnet 192.168.102.0/24 and my main lan is on 192.168.1.0/24.

I want to allow access from my guest network to a specific IP in my LAN (printer) and I thought of adding some iptables forwarding rules to allow it, and the plan was to allow traffic from br2 (the bridge for VLAN 502) to that specific IP by adding a FORWARD rule, however even the most simple rule I did for test didn't work iptables -I FORWARD -d 192.168.1.52 -j ACCEPT the traffic gets dropped before somewhere and I can't find where.
Note that I did verify using tcdpdump that the traffic reaches the br2 bridge.

Any pointers on how to do it or to find where the traffic gets dropped would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I think you want to use chain INPUT and not FORWARD. Also specify br2 unless you want it permitted over all interfaces.

This is the rule in INPUT that you want to put yours before if I'm reading it right.
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
35 5658 DROP all -- br2 any anywhere anywhere

Thanks
I think you want to use chain INPUT and not FORWARD. Also specify br2 unless you want it permitted over all interfaces.

This is the rule in INPUT that you want to put yours before if I'm reading it right.
35 5658 DROP all -- br2 any anywhere anywhere
Thanks, but why INPUT? the traffic needs to forward through to the main LAN, it doesn't terminate on the main router. If it wasn't clear I want to give access to a printer with IP 192.168.1.52 while the router IP on that LAN is 192.168.1.1. However, I added it to see if it works, but unfortunately it doesn't (and I see no hits on that rule) iptables -I INPUT -i br2 -d 192.168.1.52 -j ACCEPT

OK I found the issue, there are ebtables rules (BROUTING) that also need to be changed as well, in my case ebtables -t broute -i BROUTING -p IPv4 -i wl1.1 --ip-dst 192.168.1.52 --ip-proto icmp -j ACCEPT

Note that this was in addition to the forwarding rule iptables -I FORWARD -i br2 -d 192.168.1.51 -j ACCEPT. next step will be to limit specific port.

OK I found the issue, there are ebtables rules (BROUTING) that also need to be changed as well, in my case ebtables -t broute -i BROUTING -p IPv4 -i wl1.1 --ip-dst 192.168.1.52 --ip-proto icmp -j ACCEPT

Note that this was in addition to the forwarding rule iptables -I FORWARD -i br2 -d 192.168.1.51 -j ACCEPT. next step will be to limit specific port.

You're probably on newer code than me with the AX. On my AC1900 the guest rules to the LAN are under INPUT and to the WAN are under FORWARD. Ebtables is not used at all. I'm not using aimesh so could be a difference there too.

Trimmed to just the related rules:

iptables -L INPUT --verbose
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
58 3959 ACCEPT udp -- br2 any anywhere anywhere udp dpt:domain - allow DNS to main LAN
11 3626 ACCEPT udp -- br2 any anywhere anywhere udp dpt:bootps - allow DHCP to main LAN
0 0 ACCEPT udp -- br2 any anywhere anywhere udp dpt:bootpc - allow DHCP to main LAN
35 5658 DROP all -- br2 any anywhere anywhere - deny all other traffic to main LAN

iptables -L FORWARD --verbose
Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
66 19751 ACCEPT all -- br2 eth0 anywhere anywhere - allow guest to access internet

In addition to above a default br0 to any with state "NEW" under the INPUT chain allows traffic initiated by br0 to hit br1 and br2 (main can initiate to guest, but guest can't initiate to main).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!