What's new

Full Passthrough

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

b82m

New Around Here
During working hours, I setup a VPN connection to my company using OpenVPN Client in the Asus router (AC-86U). In my free time, I simply turn off the VPN connection. However, I see that there is still some "router overhead" on LAN connections (esp. ping times and game streaming). If I instead connect my clients LAN cable directly to the cable modem, you can see that esp. game streaming gets a bit better.
Is there a way to set the Asus router to a "full passthrough" mode, so that I don't need to unplug the lan cable each time?

Is there a way to set the Asus router to a "full passthrough" mode, so that I don't need to unplug the lan cable each time?
No, because the router is performing NAT (and other duties) for all the devices on your LAN not just one device. The router "overhead" should be negligible. If it isn't turn off things like QoS and AiProtection. That is easiest done by going to Administration - Privacy and withdrawing from any agreements there.

However, I see that there is still some "router overhead"

Is your ISP equipment modem/router by chance? Many games require ports open and perhaps what you see is the effect of your double NAT situation. If this is the case try placing your Asus WAN IP in ISP modem/router's DMZ and enable UPnP on your Asus. This will work in stock Asuswrt only.

That's odd - as many users do the VPN "kill switch" without any impact...

Is your ISP equipment modem/router by chance? Many games require ports open and perhaps what you see is the effect of your double NAT situation. If this is the case try placing your Asus WAN IP in ISP modem/router's DMZ and enable UPnP on your Asus. This will work in stock Asuswrt only.
Thanks. Tried it, but no difference. BTW, the use case is game streaming (GFN and XBC), not any kind of co-op games.

No, because the router is performing NAT (and other duties) for all the devices on your LAN not just one device. The router "overhead" should be negligible. If it isn't turn off things like QoS and AiProtection. That is easiest done by going to Administration - Privacy and withdrawing from any agreements there.
Agree, the overhead is negliglible in all other use cases. However, in game streaming it really makes a differences.
I have turned off all these features, but no difference.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!