What's new

Future predictions - which AX router will be supported longest?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So the final answer is: buy a router that suits you NOW the best

Exactly, but do your homework as well. There is plenty of information available.

So the final answer is: buy a router that suits you NOW the best and run it for some years - then buy ANOTHER one when you see the need!
Same strategy here... I switch every 3 year (often on Black Friday/Cyber Monday) and not trying to find a router that will last for 5+ years.
There is always some new improvements coming each year and wanna keep up with the evolution. So far my path is N56U, AC68U, AC86U, AX86U...

As I'm in the position to try/test new routers for various customers, I also do not tend to keep a single router for many years. When I find an exceptional model, I usually trade up. That doesn't mean I don't want to buy a stable, reliable, and hopefully, well-supported router either though (I sell what I have after I can verify a new model 100% exceeds what I can currently test, in my own environment).

This may still be more expensive in the long run, but it also gives me the highest network performance possible over time.

Same as computers. Buying the $3K+ model (to use for the next half-decade) is great for bragging rights for a few moments. Buying the $1.5K model every two or three years is what really makes a difference (performance) at the end of the buying cycle, and to the total cost too.

I don't see these strategies (on the networking side) as being different.

Does Amazon have salt mines?

With the tools available today, you don't even need Amazon.

Marketing speak is easy for me to spot. It usually promises what I didn't know I needed.

And what I know I don't want (to only spend more just to have the latest 'thing').

Saw this news today:

The ASUS RT-AX86U Pro gaming router has been announced and is already available for pre-order in China. The RT-AX86U Pro is equipped with a quad-core 16nm chip from Broadcom with an operating frequency of 2.0GHz.

It has 1GB of memory and is equipped with a dedicated gaming port that gets priority when transferring data. The device supports RangeBoost + technology, in addition, the router provides improved Wi-Fi coverage by 16% compared to the previous model. W

Declared support for Wi-Fi 6, Mesh, IPv6. There is a game mode that can be enabled through the mobile app. Secure network access is provided by the AiProtecton Pro system. The RT-AX86U Pro router has 3 built-in antennas.

The ASUS RT-AX86U Pro router is priced at $225. Sales of new items will start on September 25.

I'm surprised that no-one has commented on the price: $225 would put this new "Pro" model about $50 lower than the current selling price of the "regular" RT-AX86U, and barely higher than the RT-AX86S. Seems highly unlikely (but would be welcome), a more likely scenario is this was a typo, and the new model will sell for about $325. TBD....

Good catch, that does seem a bit peculiar. Unless the "Pro" designation means it's been slimmed down by eliminating a radio, some ram, and only has two LAN ports; lighter weight, runs cooler and it's easier to carry home from the store.;)

Around $225 in China at release. Our price is going to be different, I'm pretty sure.

Surprisingly this older model AX router is getting a lot of attention lately. On Wi-Fi Alliance website it's still one of the few Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™ Asus routers. In my own experience it has better range than AX86U.
Would you say this range superiority is valid for the 5G band in particular? And is that in a relatively open environment, or with plenty of obstructions?

I'm surprised that no-one has commented on the price: $225 would put this new "Pro" model about $50 lower than the current selling price of the "regular" RT-AX86U, and barely higher than the RT-AX86S. Seems highly unlikely (but would be welcome), a more likely scenario is this was a typo, and the new model will sell for about $325. TBD....
Yeah, it's seems underpriced ... however ...
Good catch, that does seem a bit peculiar. Unless the "Pro" designation means it's been slimmed down by eliminating a radio, some ram, and only has two LAN ports; lighter weight, runs cooler and it's easier to carry home from the store.;)
RAM is still claimed at 1GB, same as AX86U, but indeed there was no mention of a 2.5Gbe port, which I suspect would feature high up the list if it were available. Perhaps they reckoned most people will not have better than 1Gbps FTTH in the next 10 years and also don't run a high-end NAS, so they trim it out and make more with increased sales at lower price point.

Perhaps they reckoned most people will not have better than 1Gbps FTTH in the next 10 years and also don't run a high-end NAS, so they trim it out and make more with increased sales at lower price point.
I agree on the WAN side. There seems to be some movement on the LAN side towards 2.5G using existing 5E wiring, as it is showing up in chips, motherboards and routers. A lot cheaper than moving to 10G LAN. What is still missing is a cheap switch, as the only use case I can see in the home for one 2.5G port on a router is a NAS to router connection that is shared out on a 1G network.

Would you say this range superiority is valid for the 5G band in particular?

Better in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz from the same spot to the same wireless clients.

When I initially tested the RT-AX88U vs. the RT-AX86U on 386.xx firmware, the results clearly showed the latter was superior.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

I haven't yet seen an RT-AX88U running the 388.xx firmware along with its updated SDK though.

But I hardly believe the router's 'certification' matters at all here.

If/when I get to use (for an extended period of time) an RT-AX88U with the newer SDK and firmware, I'll be sure to share my thoughts on these forums.

Reactions: OPR
there was no mention of a 2.5Gbe port, which I suspect would feature high up the list if it were available.
There is a 2.5 Gbps port, like the previous model.

The only real differences are the CPU (BCM4912), the wifi chips, and the software SDK.

Lifted from the Asus RT-AX86U Pro site:

2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- LAN: 4xGbE (2x port aggregation LAN)
-- WAN: 1 GbE
-- WAN/LAN: 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- Multi-Gig: Ability to aggregate two Gigabit LAN ports and two Gigabit WAN ports (configurable) concurrently.

Does the above mean you can have a 2.5G WAN port and a 2G LAN port? Or is it a 2G WAN and a 2G LAN?

I would assume all the options you state are (should!) be available.

I would assume all the options you state are (should!) be available.
Yes, I was primarily interested in the actual topology; does it mean that one of the LAN ports has a software switch that could be set to handle 2.5/2.0G, or does it mean combining two disabling one of the LAN ports? I know on my AC86U you can assign one of the LAN ports as a WAN port(which I have currently), but I haven't had any experience with a multi-gig port assignment.

No such thing to switch a PORT to handle 2.0GbE or 2.5GbE speeds (10/100/1000/2500/5000/10000, 'auto;).

What I would expect given the info Asus provides today is;

LAG on both WAN and LAN (two 1GbE Ports for WAN and two 1GbE Ports for LAN) for a 2GbE WAN/LAN setup.

LAG on WAN and 2.5GbE LAN (2 1GbE Ports on WAN and use of the dedicated 2.5GbE Port for LAN).

LAG on LAN and 2.5GbE WAN (2x 1GbE Ports on LAN and use of the dedicated 2.5GbE Port for WAN).

So the final answer is: buy a router that suits you NOW the best and run it for some years - then buy ANOTHER one when you see the need!
After going through half a dozen routers from Asus thinking of skipping the next model release and going for Synology.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!