What's new

Future predictions - which AX router will be supported longest?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No such thing to switch a PORT to handle 2.0GbE or 2.5GbE speeds (10/100/1000/2500/5000/10000, 'auto;).

What I would expect given the info Asus provides today is;

LAG on both WAN and LAN (two 1GbE Ports for WAN and two 1GbE Ports for LAN) for a 2GbE WAN/LAN setup.

LAG on WAN and 2.5GbE LAN (2 1GbE Ports on WAN and use of the dedicated 2.5GbE Port for LAN).

LAG on LAN and 2.5GbE WAN (2x 1GbE Ports on LAN and use of the dedicated 2.5GbE Port for WAN).
Thanks, that make very good sense.:)

So, on the last one, would that mean using two LAN ports plugged into a 2.5GbE switch and then feed 2GbE devices from there?

When I initially tested the RT-AX88U vs. the RT-AX86U on 386.xx firmware, the results clearly showed the latter was superior.
Perhaps for throughput and latency. I can't comment on that. I can comment on the difference in 2.4 GHz range between the RT-AC88U (and presumably its twin the RT-AX88U) and the RT-AX86U. The former was able to deliver usable 2.4 GHz about 50 - 75 feet further than the RT-AX86U is able.

Thanks, that make very good sense.:)

So, on the last one, would that mean using two LAN ports plugged into a 2.5GbE switch and then feed 2GbE devices from there?

LAG doesn't work like that.

In aggregate, it will give up to 2GbE to multiple client devices.

To any single device, it can only provide 1GbE speeds.

Are you beginning to see why this isn't 'Pro', now? Even if all the assumptions above are true?

@sbsnb, don't forget how old the RT-AC88U is.

The 2.4GHz Band was much more important back then. As was also having a single router too.

Today, nodes are expected, not the exceptions. At least when max range is desired.

Are you beginning to see why this isn't 'Pro', now? Even if all the assumptions above are true?
So, no configuration will allow a 2.5 WAN port to be used to connect to a 10 GbE internet connection and then distribute that 2.5 GbE to any client that is capable of a 2.5 GbE connection?

The 2.4GHz Band was much more important back then. As was also having a single router too.
As long as 2.4 GHz works at longer distances than 5 or 6 GHz it's going to be the most used band in my household.

Every device that needs range over speed is on 2.4 (phones, tablets, cameras, etc.). The only use I have for 5 or 6 GHz is to reduce crowding on 2.4 GHz for devices that are stationary and close to the router.

I know it is extremely speculative and depends on many external factors - but if you were to predict future, which model of the current lineup would be supported longest?

It is really hard to tell - things are moving really fast at the moment with certain aspects of the value chain (and supply chain).

All I can suggest is not look at the future, look what is here in the present...

The 2.4GHz Band was much more important back then.

It's still important...

Across my property, I've got very good 2.4GHz coverage* - in my WLAN design, it's the backstop...

I put 5GHz where people are - living room, bedrooms...

* 2*2:2 802.11n on a 20Mhz channel can still deliver more than enough bandwidth for streaming these days... netflix in the backyard on movie night with the TV box and a projector - no issues...

A good way to visualize this - LAG is like lanes on the freeway - everyone still drives at 70 (link speed), just more cars can be on the road at the same time (capacity)

And in my case, if 2.4GHz wasn't included in a router, it wouldn't be missed at all.

Any devices that 'need' that band, should be upgraded. If they can't be upgraded to 5GHz +, they're usually not really needed.

2.4GHz signals give more range. But they don't provide the speed I demand of connected equipment, today.

So, no configuration will allow a 2.5 WAN port to be used to connect to a 10 GbE internet connection and then distribute that 2.5 GbE to any client that is capable of a 2.5 GbE connection?

No.

If you're buying a router with a single 2.5GbE Port (WAN or LAN) with a 10Gbps ISP, you're buying the wrong hardware.

Even the next step up GT-AX6000 is much better, already, with 2x 2.5GbE Ports for WAN and LAN use. You'll still need a 2.5GbE switch though, to connect all your LAN 2.5GbE capable clients.

Any devices that 'need' that band, should be upgraded.
I'm not replacing a $500 Roomba just to get 5 GHz support...

Likewise, my Govee lights work just fine on a 2.4 GHz Guest network. There are things for which 2.4 GHz is fine, essentially anything that needs very low throughput but you might want to be able to reach at a longer distance. The way I see it, 2.4 GHz will remain useful for IoT devices that have no need for high throughput yet might be scattered around your place, while the 5 GHz and 6 GHz can be used for high throughput clients, in which case you might want to add additional nodes to fix coverage issues. It also ensures that slower clients won't slow down the rest of your network by keeping them aggregated on a separate band.

Splitting slow clients from the faster ones will help with performance of those faster clients, by not wasting large time slots for these slow clients.

RMerlin, I'm not asking you to replace anything. I was stating what I do.

As far as IoT devices are concerned, they're not allowed in my home. Neither are Roomba's (whether they are free, or $500, or I get offered to be paid to 'use' them).

It's great to have choices to do what we want with our networks, within our homes.

No.

If you're buying a router with a single 2.5GbE Port (WAN or LAN) with a 10Gbps ISP, you're buying the wrong hardware.

Even the next step up GT-AX6000 is much better, already, with 2x 2.5GbE Ports for WAN and LAN use. You'll still need a 2.5GbE switch though, to connect all your LAN 2.5GbE capable clients.
I already have a 2.5GbE switch, two desktop machines with 2.5GbE NICs, and the existing 10GbE internet connection, so the router is the only missing piece. My RT-AC86U still works great, but it will be 5 years old this November, and of course, it's an AC router. I have been looking hard at the GT-AX6000, and I've just been winnowing out as many contenders as possible before making the purchase; that's why I was interested in the actual specs of the AX86U Pro, and it appears it's not going to work for me. I just picked up a new Dell laptop, and a new iPhone is in the near future so the AX connection speeds will be nice.

Up front, I don't like the size and configuration of the GT-AX6000; I'd prefer the standup style like the one I have, but at the end of the day it's the performance that matters; not how it looks.

With a 10Gbps ISP connection, I'd be looking at the GT-AXE16000, or better.

With that router, you can have 4, 2.5GbE clients max out their links to the internet, concurrently.

Of course, you'll also need a switch with at least one 10GbE Port and a few 2.5GbE Ports too.

ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 (asus.com)

With a 10Gbps ISP connection, I'd be looking at the GT-AXE16000, or better.

With that router, you can have 4, 2.5GbE clients max out their links to the internet, concurrently.

Of course, you'll also need a switch with at least one 10GbE Port and a few 2.5GbE Ports too.

ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 (asus.com)
Yes, I have looked at that, but the cost is prohibitive, and I don't need all the speed that my ISP(Sonic) provides anyway; it's their default offering; so a balanced approach of more than a 1 GbE connection but not the expense of a 10G equipment makes the 2.5GbE an excellent sweet spot. Maybe in the future, but even then I would need a reason to utilize all that speed; it would be great to have, but it's not needed right now.

Budget, understood.

But keep in mind Black Friday is coming. And the difference between the GT-AXE16000 vs the GT-AX6000 isn't as great as the non-starter RT-AX86U Pro. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!