What's new

Getting DNS to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasperve

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a question regarding dnsmasq on an asus router running merlin.

My ISP Modem is setup without running a DHCP server on 192.168.1.1 while my ASUS Router is setup with a running DHCP server on 192.168.1.2

I connected my Asus router via a LAN port to one of the modems LAN port.

The idea is that I want to be able to use all the lan ports on my modem as well as on my asus router as one network. If I were to use the WAN port on the asus router this would make the modem a different network.

So now I have my router handing out DHCP Addresses to the clients plugging in to either the LAN ports on the modem or the LAN ports on the router.

The DHCP Server tells the client their gateway is on 192.168.1.1 which is the modem. So all traffic goes directly to the modem.

I do however want to be able to use DNSMasq to set some local domains using the asus router. This is something my modem cannot do.

I tried setting this up by sending the clients the router as DNS but it doesnt seem to work. When in the past I had my router set as gateway and the WAN port connected this worked fine.

Is there any way this could be setup to work?

Thanks for the help!

Jasper

I tried setting this up by sending the clients the router as DNS but it doesnt seem to work.

I assume we're talking about the OEM/stock firmware.

Doesn't work how? NO DNS queries get resolved at all? DNS works except for local name resolution? The clients get some other DNS server(s)?

Seems to me the OEM firmware is always going to use its own local IP for the default gateway *and* DNS, which is apparently what you want. But I can see a problem if the WAN is not active and DNSMasq is waiting on the results of DHCP over that WAN to determine the public DNS servers to configure in DNSMasq. IOW, I would think you'd at least have to manually configure those public DNS servers w/ the ASUS router. Did you?

Nope, will not work the way you have it set up.
You need to have the cables: modem lan port to Asus wan port. If the modem is set to be a router you will need the Asus WAN IP set to 192.168.1.2 or any number up to 254. The Asus WAN DNS Server 1 and 2 set to the upstream resolvers of your choice. This results in a double nat which can cause problems.
Your best option is to bridge the modem so it is not acting as a router then let the Asus get its WAN ip from your ISP.
If you need more wired ports get an un-managed GIG switch.

Nope, will not work the way you have it set up.
You need to have the cables: modem lan port to Asus wan port. If the modem is set to be a router you will need the Asus WAN IP set to 192.168.1.2 or any number up to 254. The Asus WAN DNS Server 1 and 2 set to the upstream resolvers of your choice. This results in a double nat which can cause problems.
Your best option is to bridge the modem so it is not acting as a router then let the Asus get its WAN ip from your ISP.
If you need more wired ports get an un-managed GIG switch.

Thanks for the reply!

Having the modem act as a bridge is the way I had it setup before. Problem is I only have 1 network cable running from the ground floor where the modem is tot the first floor where the router is. Getting a 2nd cable in could be very difficult.

I could possibly solve this using 2 managed switches on both ends of the cable. This would become a more complex setup then I guess.

Do you see any other options to set this up?

Another possibility is to run a separate dns server on my unraid box and point the clients there.

Thanks for the reply!

Having the modem act as a bridge is the way I had it setup before. Problem is I only have 1 network cable running from the ground floor where the modem is tot the first floor where the router is. Getting a 2nd cable in could be very difficult.

I could possibly solve this using 2 managed switches on both ends of the cable. This would become a more complex setup then I guess.

Do you see any other options to set this up?

Another possibility is to run a separate dns server on my unraid box and point the clients there.
Yes, get another Asus router to use as an AiMesh node. The main router near the current modem and the other at the end of the Ethernet. A good way to get WIFI and wired connections to another part of the house.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!