What's new

Getting internet from house to barn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shepard

New Around Here
I need some advice and direction on the best method to get internet service to a metal barn about 200 ft away from the house that has AT&T’ internet service. I can get signal outside the barn but not inside. I’ve read about wireless bridges and tried to hook up 2 nanostation m2 but could not get them to work. They connect to each other, and I can connect to the bridge but for some reason can’t connect to the internet. The barn also has a separate electric service so I don’t figure an extender would work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish service ?

I need some advice and direction on the best method to get internet service to a metal barn about 200 ft away from the house that has AT&T’ internet service. I can get signal outside the barn but not inside. I’ve read about wireless bridges and tried to hook up 2 nanostation m2 but could not get them to work. They connect to each other, and I can connect to the bridge but for some reason can’t connect to the internet. The barn also has a separate electric service so I don’t figure an extender would work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish service ?

That should work easily. We need to figure out where the packets are getting blocked.
Are both outside with clear line of sight between each ?

What do you mean by "connect" ?

What are you able to ping successfully ?

The access point is plugged directly into my modem/router supplied by ATT, pointing out a window directly to the barn and the station in direct line of site. I figured this would easily get me service inside the barn. At the barn my cell phone can connect to the bridge network and has WiFi outside the barn but when I go into the barn the service drops. I think I am still getting WiFi from the access point instead of the station. Maybe it could be my ATT modem/router, it’s the 5268ac?

Thank you, I think bridging is the best option but am having difficulty with getting It to work properly.

Thank you all for your help I now have WiFi at the barn!!!!!

Last edited:
So, you do not have a separate AP inside the barn ?
The M2s should be used as point to point devices not as an AP. So take the ethernet out port from the barn M2 and connect to an AP that is broadcasting on a different band (5 GHz perhaps) or at least a non-interfering 2.4 GHz channel (1, 6, 0r 11 depending on what the M2s and your ATT router/AP is using)

Are you using POE to power the M2 ?
make sure the POE supply is providing enough power to the device. There are two standard levels of power for POE.

Last edited:
The mesh system is nice because the SSID is the same for all access points on the network. As you roam around and in between both structures, your devices/clients will switch to using the best signal without holding onto a weaker SSID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The M2s should be used as point to point devices not as an AP. So take the ethernet out port from the barn M2 and connect to an AP that is broadcasting on a different band (5 GHz perhaps) or at least a non-interfering 2.4 GHz channel (1, 6, 0r 11 depending on what the M2s and your ATT router/AP is using)

make sure the POE supply is providing enough power to the device. There are two standard levels of power for POE.

So the m2 at the barn plugs into the POE on the switch that came with the device and your saying I need to plug a router into the LAN port of that switch, right? When configuring the router do I configure to my att modem or my bridge a
Thank you, I think bridging is the best option but am having difficulty with getting Otto work properly

I configured the router to my Att modem and went into the ATT account software and allowed guest log-in using the same password as the bunt bridge password. I could have been a combination of the two. I had read on the ATT forum that the modem I have wouldn’t really work with bridge mode, you had to use the public login. I had originally programmed the router to use the bridge connection with no success, so I changed it also. You’ve been a great help! I’m just so glad it works now, I’ve messed with it for 3days and was at my wits end, it seemed simple enough. When I first ordered the stations for the bridgeAmazon sent me 1 M2 and 1 M5, everything on them is identical except a tiny 5 by the barcode oh and the M5 on the box that I didn’t see until about 4 hours of trying to get them to work together, lol! I was on the verge of calling ATT and having a tech come out, but I was sure they would start charging me a fee for something new I didn’t really need. As you can tell I’m not that great with stuff but I knew it should work. Very frustrating, so glad you answered my post!

Glad to hear that you're up and running! Since your solution is superior to what I was going to offer my reply is both pointless and superfluous but I offer it anyway just in case someone else is as cheap, lazy and unsophisticated as me : -)

We have two buildings about 100' apart. The buildings have windows that face each other. I edged the router over to the window. I purchased a Netgear 6150 range extender with "fast lane" and mounted it in the window of the 2nd building. I then configured "fast lane" to talk to the router over one radio and to talk to bldg. 2 clients over the 2nd radio. It was that easy.

Speeds in bldg. 2 range from about 50 to 80 Mbps ... dependent on where the client is.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!