What's new

Getting Modem Stats

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

what is IP address of your modem ? I guess you have wrong IP range
when you connect your computer directly to modem and setup static IP, can you ping your modem, and open web interface ?
Modem is 192.168.2.1 wen I connect directly to modem I can access modem

Screenshot_20160622-131352.png
Screenshot_20160622-131058.png

Try the ping again and then see if you get an arp entry for 192.168.2.1

You can view the arp table by typing arp and pressing enter.

If you see a valid entry there your firewall is probably blocking connection.

If no arp entry is shown the sub interface isn't setup correctly.

Have you changed anything in the nat configuration from standard?

All I had to do was setup the sub interface and nothing else.

Can you post a screenshot of the arp command and ifconfig commands?

n
Try the ping again and then see if you get an arp entry for 192.168.2.1

You can view the arp table by typing arp and pressing enter.

If you see a valid entry there your firewall is probably blocking connection.

If no arp entry is shown the sub interface isn't setup correctly.

Have you changed anything in the nat configuration from standard?

All I had to do was setup the sub interface and nothing else.

Can you post a screenshot of the arp command and ifconfig commands?
not sure how to get back from ping to directory, just seems to be writing lines do i log out then back?

The command to setup the sub interface you need to make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and not 255.255.252.0 as you have it.

The command is the one you have in your wan-start script and is on the router.

Reboot and then repost a screenshot of the arp command output after running a ping to 192.168.2.1. Also send a screenshot of the ifconfig command output too

I 'm sure you need a special nat POSTROUTING rule to snat your connection to that new IP, the current nat POSTROUTING rule probably snats all comms out the WAN port to your internet WAN IP. But I'm not too sure why you need anything when not using PPPoE ...

I have this setup without any changes to the nat config.

He isn't seeing the MAC address in the arp table so this needs to be sorted first of all.

I am by far an expert at these things, still learning about networks myself, looking at the pictures provided modem is 192.168.2.1 and his router is 192.168.1.1 with a net mask as 255.255.255.0 then surely they won't speak to eachother as they are on different networks? If you see what I am getting at?
Would it not be best to get these 2 devices on the same network, say modem 192.168.1.1 and router on 192.168.1.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also noticed you have set a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 on your internal lan, this will mean the internal lan will include the modem IP range you are trying to access.

This is shown on your br0 IP output in your screenshot, change this to 255.255.255.0 and also change your dhcp to this too.

I am by far an expert at these things, still learning about networks myself, looking at the pictures provided modem is 192.168.2.1 and his router is 192.168.1.1 with a net mask as 255.255.255.0 then surely they won't speak to eachother as they are on different networks? If you see what I am getting at?
Would it not be best to get these 2 devices on the same network, say modem 192.168.1.1 and router on 192.168.1.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi i was advised that its not good practice even if it does work to have these on the same ip,,not sure why, some of these guys could answer that question though.

Change your subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and it should work.

You will never be able to reach the modem IP address from your internal lan because the router has been told it is in the same network and will not route the traffic.

Collectively id like to thank everyone who has helped me and contributed to this post. I can now say that this has been achieved, thank you jp for helping me see this through till the end, its great that people take the time to help others,
Vigor 130.JPG

Results

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!