What's new

Getting Modem Stats

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I have an RT-AC87U using 380.59, connected to Sky Broadband. Until this week I was connecting via the Sky Hub and bridging to the Asus, but have now replaced the Sky Hub with a Vigor 130, running in pass-though mode.

What I would like to do is be able to see the detailed modem stats (as I could on the bridged Sky Hub), but do not know if this is possible or how I would start. The modem has a default IP address (DHCP is disabled) but as this is on the WAN port of the Asus I have no idea how to access this.

Thank you

I can't really test it because my ISP disables my cablemodem's webui once it comes online, but try just adding a network interface on the router with an IP within the modem's subnet. For instance, with Thompson's modems using 192.168.100.1:

Code:
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.100.99

See if you can then reach the modem's UI from your client. If it works, then add this command to a script (possibly wan-start or services-start).

Otherwise, search the forums - there's been some posts on how to do this in the past, it's possible that you might need to insert rules into iptables.

I am very new to but I presume I should do this from an console session within either SSH or telnet - does it matter from which directory (e.g. /jffs/scripts and did you mean ifconfig or ipconfig.

Thank

On some devices once there bridged the modem signal stats and web UI are disabled for the end user. Not sure this is your case but it does happen.

I am very new to but I presume I should do this from an console session within either SSH or telnet - does it matter from which directory (e.g. /jffs/scripts and did you mean ifconfig or ipconfig.

Thank

Connect through SSH, and run the command I posted (with the correct IP). It doesn't matter in which directory you are.

It's really "ifconfig". ipconfig is for Windows.

I also have a Vigor 130 (works fine)

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.100.10 (i use this)

default draytek settings below will work

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.2.10

Code:
Tracing route to 192.168.100.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  aurora.***.*** [192.168.0.1]
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.100.1

Trace complete.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I use the following two scripts to allow access to my 130's web gui:

WAN Start
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig `nvram get wan0_ifname`:0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

NAT Start
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

I thought you only need scripts when using ppp connection to the internet, when you need normal Ethernet comms out the wan port?

I replaced my sky modem with a modified btopenreach modem to see my line stats. Modem has an IP of 192.168.1.1 dhcp disabled, whereas my network on the ac87u are 192.168.2.xxx
Originally I could not connect to the modem from my network until I changed the subnet mask on both devices from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0.
This seemed to work for me and I can access my modem from any device on my network to check line stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone - scripts added and access obtained.

Hi all just been given a link to this post..it's exactly what I need to achieve..I'm a newbe, to be honest dont have a clue were to start..same setup as Archiel..so if I had my modem set to bridge mode with an IP as 192.168.1.1 an my router as 1.2. dhcp pool starting at 1.3. were would I enter these scripts an what info would I put In Them..any help would be very much appreciated...complete lack of knowledge is my weekness In Netwotking

I simply enter 192.168.2.1 into a browser , that opens the Draytek GUI . The web console is accessed via the icon top right of the GUI.

In the console type :

vdsl status > "enter" gives stats

vdsl status more > "enter" gives extended stats.

The image provided by Shonk of the Vigor 130 is not what you will find in a UK version. The unit sold in the UK is a dedicated modem and has different/ less features.

Hi all just been given a link to this post..it's exactly what I need to achieve..I'm a newbe, to be honest dont have a clue were to start..same setup as Archiel..so if I had my modem set to bridge mode with an IP as 192.168.1.1 an my router as 1.2. dhcp pool starting at 1.3. were would I enter these scripts an what info would I put In Them..any help would be very much appreciated...complete lack of knowledge is my weekness In Netwotking
You'll find info about user scripts here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts

It's also worth reading this page, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration, even though it applies to DD-WRT it has a lot of useful info. One thing to note is that it's not considered good practice to have your modem and router in the same subnet even if it appears to work (as highlighted in red on the DD-WRT page linked).

Last edited:
So to get started should I set my router in bridge mode with the IP ***.***.2.1 the router to 1.1 for example an have the sub net masks the same in both... my router is set to wan connection type automatic up..next question is were do I put the script..sorry for the lack of know how

Last edited:
So to get started should I set my router in bridge mode with the IP ***.***.2.1 the router to 1.1 for example an have the sub net masks the same in both...
Yes, set your modem to 192.168.2.1 and your router to 192.168.1.1 for example. I t doesn't really matter so long as the modem is different from the router. Could be 10.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 for example. Just change the last digit to a 2 when putting in the scripts e.g. if your modem is 192.168.2.1 then in the script you'd use 192.168.2.2

Then just follow the instructions on the scripting page linked above and put the two scripts in the places shown earlier (WAN Start & NAT Start).

Last edited:
Not to sure how to telnet..I'll Google a how to..I'm a complete newbe with all this and creating script... suppose it's easy when u no how..gonna give it a go..really thankful for all the advise

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!