What's new

Getting msg when changing Pswd?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RBJ32

Occasional Visitor
Asus RT-AC68P router: Did a firmware update about a month ago, everything running normally.

Logged in today in the Admim->System Tab and tried to change user name and password. When I click Apply, a msg pops up saying "Specified time interval can not overlap". So I leave the user name as it and just try to change the password, but get same msg.

I log out and then log back in but I have to use the old pswd, the new one is not saving?
What does this mean?

Did you try rebooting the router and waiting 10 minutes or so before trying to change the password again? ;)

Did you try rebooting the router and waiting 10 minutes or so before trying to change the password again? ;)

I tried it just now which according to the post times would be at least 30 mins after my last attempt. I got the same msg, don't remember ever having anything like this happening.

To be clear after the very first msg I saw (a good 45 mins ago) I've only tried to change the password only. I did not include a new user name like the first time. Though I really don't see why you couldn't change both at the same time(?).

Also after initially first setting router up a few months ago I changed the user name and password then with no issues. But this time there is some kind of problem.

I tried it just now which according to the post times would be at least 30 mins after my last attempt. I got the same msg, don't remember ever having anything like this happening.

To be clear after the very first msg I saw (a good 45 mins ago) I've only tried to change the password only. I did not include a new user name like the first time. Though I really don't see why you couldn't change both at the same time(?).

Also after initially first setting router up a few months ago I changed the user name and password then with no issues. But this time there is some kind of problem.

After the last firmware update, did you also do a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (what I call the M&M Config, please see the link in my signature below)?

If you haven't and others can't offer other options for you to try, then it may be the best thing to get your router back to a good/known state.

Edit: Oh, have you tried using a different browser? Which one(s) are you using? That may work or be important to someone else reading to help you here too. ;)

After the last firmware update, did you also do a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (what I call the M&M Config, please see the link in my signature below)?
Edit: Oh, have you tried using a different browser? Which one(s) are you using? That may work or be important to someone else reading to help you here too. ;)

Sorry was busy with other items, just now getting back. I did try other browsers got same message. Only thing did not mention is I changed the Trend Micro setting previously setting Share data to OFF. The apply button worked then. Then when I tried to change the pswd it failed and gave msg. But then I set the share data back ON and it saved, but still can not change the pswd.

When I have more time I will do the reset and MM start over like you suggested. Can I do that from within login setup or do I have to press the reset button on the outside of the router?

Logged in today in the Admim->System Tab and tried to change user name and password. When I click Apply, a msg pops up saying "Specified time interval can not overlap". So I leave the user name as it and just try to change the password, but get same msg.
When you click Apply all of the settings on that page are validated and then applied, not just the items you changed. So the message has nothing to do with the password. The message is saying that Time Zone DST start and end times are invalid.

When you click Apply all of the settings on that page are validated and then applied, not just the items you changed. So the message has nothing to do with the password. The message is saying that Time Zone DST start and end times are invalid.

Oh thanks Colin, that fixed the issue of saving that page. Guess I should have caught that but haven't updated a router in a long time and did not notice. I surmise I may have to set this manually on every firmware update?

I notice the dates jump around, is there a pattern to DST change times ?

United States
-------- DST Begins DST Ends
Year at 2 a.m. at 2 a.m.
2015 March 8 November 1
2016 March 13 November 6
2017 March 12 November 5
2018 March 11 November 4
2019 -> March 10 November 3
2020 March 8 November 1
2021 March 14 November 7

Oh thanks Colin, that fixed the issue of saving that page. Guess I should have caught that but haven't updated a router in a long time and did not notice. I surmise I may have to set this manually on every firmware update?

I notice the dates jump around, is there a pattern to DST change times ?

United States
-------- DST Begins DST Ends
Year at 2 a.m. at 2 a.m.
2015 March 8 November 1
2016 March 13 November 6
2017 March 12 November 5
2018 March 11 November 4
2019 -> March 10 November 3
2020 March 8 November 1
2021 March 14 November 7
  • The pattern has not changed in the US for several years.
  • I have not noticed DST settings being changed on firmware updates.
  • If I recall correctly, the settings were invalid after a reset to factory defaults.
DST.png

Code:
# cat /etc/TZ
EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b2.html

Last edited:
  • The pattern has not changed in the US for several years.
  • I have not noticed DST settings being changed on firmware updates.
  • If I recall correctly, the settings were invalid after a reset to factory defaults.

Thanks so the pattern repeats every 8 yrs?

I have not reset to factory defaults (yet) at any time. But I may at some point do so since I've told that's sometimes prudent after a firmware update. And also not to restore previous saved CFG settings after a major update.

In any case I will pay more attention to DST in the future. Greatly appreciate the help I get on this forum.

Thanks so the pattern repeats every 8 yrs?
The pattern is set by legislation. I think Dubya was in office the last time it was changed. There are no USA DST changes in sight.

IIRC, the last time I had this issue, it seemed the router thought I was in the southern hemisphere. DST start and end times were in fall and spring (reversed). This was after a factory reset (NVRAM erased).

The pattern is set by legislation. I think Dubya was in office the last time it was changed. There are no USA DST changes in sight.

Now that you mention it I remember hearing something about that on the news towards the end of his office, seems it was supposed to save more energy. Thanks for the help and info.

IIRC, the last time I had this issue, it seemed the router thought I was in the southern hemisphere. DST start and end times were in fall and spring (reversed). This was after a factory reset (NVRAM erased).

Thanks it'll stick in my memory for awhile that's for sure.