What's new

goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then there is likely overlap on the MOCA bands. You can try shifting the GoCOAX modems to the higher bands. i think there is is discussion about that in this thread earlier.

Then there is likely overlap on the MOCA bands. You can try shifting the GoCOAX modems to the higher bands. i think there is is discussion about that in this thread earlier.
I can try that but I didn't change anything before they just started working after 9 months of not working. Also, my cable modem is on a separate coax cable circuit from the TV coaxial cable. The coax from the cable provider splits at a junction box outside my house, the cable for the internet is a single cable run from the junction box to the modem. The cable for the TV runs from the junction box to a splitter/amplifier in my house and then branches out to all the rooms.

Last edited:
I can try that but I didn't change anything before they just started working after 9 months of not working. Also, my cable modem is on a separate coax cable circuit from the TV coaxial cable. The coax from the cable provider splits at a junction box outside my house, the cable for the internet is a single cable run from the junction box to the modem. The cable for the TV runs from the junction box to a splitter/amplifier in my house and then branches out to all the rooms.
Hello John,
Thanks for choosing our products. Next time, if you meet such issue. Please contact with us by support@gocoax.com. We will give you a remote check.
Seems like 1 and 3 are the Gocoax and 0 and 2 are the Actiontec ECB6200?

Does the order really mean anything? If I do iperf3 -p 10 from my office to the server room (where both gocoax are) and i'm getting consistent ~940mb/sec, so it seems like performance is good.

View attachment 24909
The dark green means that device is a MoCA2.0 device.
The bright green means that device is a MoCA2.5 device.
a MoCA 2.5 with another MoCA 2.5 can get about 3500Mbps PHY rate.
a MoCA 2.0 with another MoCA 2.0 can get about 1100Mbps PHY rate.
a MoCA 2.5 with another MoCA 2.0 can get about 1200Mbps PHY rate.
Because when they are talking, they are using different channel numbers. 2 or 5.
Hi!

I am reaching out to this forum and topic as it seems like both the @gocoax and fellow users/experts is around.

I have a rather big house with 10+ coax outlets, and have 5 GoCoax MoCA adapters that I have tried to get working for some time. However, I have run into issues. To spare you from my hours of troubleshooting, I have narrowed my problem into a simplified case;

I have three points, A, B and C.

A is my office in the ground floor, where my router is, fiber, CATV++ comes in to the house.
B is my living room, ground floor
C is my attic room, first floor.

The most simple schematic I can configure here is:

GoCoax MoCA adapter A -> GoCoaX official splitter (all frequencies) -> wall/cable -> GoCoax MoCA adapter B -> wall/cable -> GoCoax MoCA adapter C.

I am able to get MoCA working from A to B, and from B to C, however, A to C does not work. When A to B are connected and working flawlessly, and I plug in point C, after a while the network shifts from B to C, and since A has the internet/DHCP service, I basically end up with a faulty net everywhere. Likewise, I have tested that B to C are working on its own, with peer-to-peer pinging.

I have tried so much, thinking that perhaps the CATV signal was causing issues, and have used different splitters, filters at all possible places ++

Now, in practice, our house consist of 10+ CATV outlets, where at least two outlets are between A and B, and B and C, and there are also outlets after C in the cable layup (which also do not work from A).

I was thinking that perhaps my problem was signal strength? I have just moved in to this house, so I do not know exactly how the cables are drawn and how much/which cable we are talking about, however the previous owners had to install an amplifier for the CATV signal at point A in order to get a proper signal at point C and onwards. I have confirmed this myself (but we do not use CATV as our TV since we get all we need from internet streams). Since the lower frequencies need to be amped up, would the same be true for the MoCA frequences (I have read that they might not)?

Attached are the signal strengths for B to A (2700 kbps) and B to C (1700kbps) from the adapter in point B, when connected respectivly (when A to B is working, C is not connected, and when B to C is working, A is not connected).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys! Let me know if I can provide additional information. Thanks in advance :)
Yes, from the rate page. We think the issue should be related to signal level.
Could you check the splitters are you using? Also you can send email to you. We can check it for you.

Just wanted to chime in and say I have two of these working perfectly for the last week and a half with my ecb6200s with encryption key enabled.

I have a question about my first Moca network. Two goCoax boxes have been working for two days at full network speeds without fail, but also without the use of our cable box and a POE filter. Allow me to explain.

See the wiring diagram (Revised MOCA Schematic). These are the only cables implemented in the house. The outside line enters to the basement, then originally to the POE filter (by PPC/Beldon), then to Splitter 1 (a 3 way BAMF Bi-directional MoCA 5-2300MHz). The unused node is terminated with a 75 ohm cap.

The upper left on the diagram features one goCoax box and an access unit. The wire run is not physically accessible. The run to the master unit is to the right. It needs ideally be split to feed a cable modem and an XFinity box. The cable modem goes to the router, which feeds Ethernet feeds throughout the house and to the nearby GoCoax device.

At first, this segment was hooked up as detailed (First Method Master.JPG). The two devices connected only after being left overnight and performance was awful.

Only by removing the POE and the second splitter (a 2 way, also a BAMF) and reverting to the layout in the main diagram did the devices reliably talk. Enclosed are attachments of the device and link characteristics. Removing the POE sounds counterintuitive.

I put both the second splitter and the POE in and had everything connected, until one of the goCoax devices was rebooted. Then no sync occured.

Can you help me to connect the second splitter and the cable box? Please also advise about the POE.

Thanks,

mjclifford
ISSUE SOLVED! Summary below.

A network of two GoCoax devices was installed in a network, in order to run an Access unit (AP) from the theater room (Master) on the third floor to the second (Living Room). MoCa compatible splitters were used.

Upon installation, the all three lights on the Master instantly lit up. However, the MoCa light in the Living Room would not. However, it would connect overnight, run for a day, then disconnect.

It turned out this headache was caused by the X1 device. This was not a gateway, but a lowly streamer of channels. MoCa calls were being issued by the X1 box, down the short cable to a splitter shared by the Docis 3.0 modem, both of which were connected to the TV connector.

XFinity’s documentation is either misleading or missing about MoCa, and most information confuses this device with the gateway (which goes by the same name). The phrase “Anywhere DVR” is mentioned with the feature that transmits streamed programs to a DVR on the network.

A connection to the X1 box needed only to be temporarily interrupted to allow the two GoCoax boxes to synch, then everything would be fine until the power blipped (which happens all the time). Troubleshooting was complicated by the fact the headend resets the X1 box nightly and the GoCoax pair would toggle between being connected or disconnecting.

The fix was to install a second POE filter directly on the X1 device. Everything then worked, including the cable box. See attached wiring diagram.

I hope this helps someone else.

mjclifford
Final MOCA Schematic.jpg

If your modem is ever "upgraded" to DocCis 3.1, this may not work since the TV out port on the GoCoax device, i believe, filters out anything in the MOCA bands. Also, DocCis 3.1 , i believe, uses the lower band(s) in the MOCA ranges which interferes with MOCA2 and 2.5 so you might see bandwidth reduction when both types of devices are active.

I'm a newbie to MOCA and having an issue with my new WF-803M adapters. I'm out of ideas so I'm hoping someone here can see what I'm missing. Long story short, I have a bandwidth even though my PHY rates are 3500-3600~. To completely isolate the problem, I connected two computers first into an Gigabit Ethernet network (to validate that the cables and the ethernet cards were working as expected) and then into opposite sides of a MOCA 2.5 network with two WF-803M adapters and a 1.5ft cable in between. As you can see from the screenshots, when running through the Ethernet network I get near Gbit speeds but through the MOCA network my bandwidth drops to 260ish Mbps.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may have suggestions on how to troubleshoot or solve this matter.

Attachments

• MoCA-direct.png
    MoCA-direct.png
    18 KB · Views: 406
  • PHY-rates.png
    PHY-rates.png
    144 KB · Views: 517
  • Switch.png
    Switch.png
    18 KB · Views: 390
  • MOCA-Settings.png
    MOCA-Settings.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 394
what is the iperf command string you are using ? You won't see high bitrate unless you run parallel in the command. Look through this thread for the cmd.

My bad, I completely missed that. Using a larger TCP window (2M) I see a big improvement.

Attachments

• 2M Window.png
    2M Window.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 334
Hi,

I have fibre internet with a Nokia ONT wired to my own Asus router. I would like to convert many of my devices that are connected to router via wifi to a moca network instead. My home is already wired with coaxial cable but not currently hooked up to any isp. The line with ONT to router is isolated from the rest of the cable network, other than router link. Will I be able to successfully create a new moca network? I dont know much about this technology other than I need an adapter directly at the router & one at each site/device I want to bring an ethernet jack to. I like that goCoax is bringing an affordable 2.5 adapter to the market. As a cordcutter, I want to limit my business to the network providers other than what I already have. I live in a townhouse condo complex so this is a necessary step for me to regain fast internet throughout the home as well as cut down on the emf polution & limit my wifi use. There also is a possibility of using the cable network to bring OTA antenna feed to whole house. (dependent on how the moca net works out)

RG6 coax i assume ?
You can get a pair of modems to verify the link rate on each coax run and to experiment if you like.
There are specific recommendations in this and other threads here about which splitters to use.
If there are any non-MOCA2 rated splitters or poor connection terminations, you will want to find them and correct.

It depends on how you want to implement.
If you use a star pattern with a pair of modems on each leg, you will maximize bandwidth up to the capability of the switch and router. This is the highest cost usually.
If you use a multi-drop pattern, usually by using a head end multidrop bidirectional, MOCA2 rated splitter, with one modem at the router and modems at the other end of the cables attached to the splitter, the bandwidth will be shared on the MOCA network when multiple devices are communicating. Probably not an issue for most users as it is difficult to saturate a 1 Gbit connection.

OTA TV will work fine as long as there are not too many connections in the cable path. You will usually need a TV band pre-amp at the antenna to have enough signal. ChannelMaster makes a very good low noise, mast mounted, amp. The antenna needs to be outside as high as possible, with direct line of sight to the transmission towers. Anything inside may require a larger antenna to receive adequate signal level for amplification. Sometimes, it is a "try it an see".
i run with the above setup for OTA, no issues.

I have a basic question on mixing MoCA devices on a cable run that includes a splitter. My coax to two different upstairs rooms goes through an accessible splitter. After the splitter is a Tivo mini which is a MoCA 1.1 device. My intention is to purchase a pair of Gocoax WF-803M MoCA 2.5 units and place one on the other end of the split and the other as host near my router. Will the MoCA 2.5 devices communicate at 2.5 speeds with a 1.1 device present on the other end of the split coax run?

I figured out what my issue was. It turns out that my cables boxes were interfering with the adapters from syncing up. However, it wasn't all the cable boxes, just the ones connected to MoCA adapters. If I unplugged them, the adapters would sync up in about 30 - 45 seconds. Afterwards I could plug the cable boxes back in and they worked fine.

Also, how does this connection look? I have no idea how to read these numbers.

MoCA.PNG

I figured out what my issue was. It turns out that my cables boxes were interfering with the adapters from syncing up. However, it wasn't all the cable boxes, just the ones connected to MoCA adapters. If I unplugged them, the adapters would sync up in about 30 - 45 seconds. Afterwards I could plug the cable boxes back in and they worked fine.

Also, how does this connection look? I have no idea how to read these numbers.

View attachment 25288
Been down this road and I found the same thing; a manual reset could keep the net up, albeit temporarily. There may still be two issues. First, a power blip may kill the desired MoCa connection (we have plenty of them here). You would need a UPS on every MoCa box. Secondly, the cable boxes may be reset nightly by the headend, so you'd wake up in the morning with a different network setup.

The permanent fix was to place a POE on the cable box. I only had one and it did not need to communicate at the MoCa level with anything else, like an XFinity X1 DVR box. You may not have that luxury.

To read that box, select an axis and box number (they start with zero) and read across to another numbered device, i.e., the speed of box 0 to 1. By the way, 689 was almost the speed with which my X1 streaming box formed a hijacked connection to one of the GoCoax boxes.

If you have the X1 system, you can enter the box maintenance menus by using the remote. Hold the exit button for 5 seconds then down arrow, down arrow , number"2" button. See a YouTube movie on this. There will be two MoCa options, one which is a table similar to the above diagram. If it shows 689, then X1 has hijacked the GoCoax.

mjclifford

I'm lucky in that the power outage that "fixed" the MoCA connection in the first place is the first one that I've had in recent memory. My MoCA connection was working for about 3 weeks before I decided to update the firmware and enable encryption which required taking the adapters offline. Bringing them back online is when I figured out the cable box issue. A MoCA filter wouldn't work for me because I use my provider's cloud based PVR service which allows me to stream a show I recorded to any cable box in my house.

My cable boxes are reset every so often around 3:30 AM but that doesn't seem to effect the MoCA connection. Once it's established the cables boxes can be reset, disconnected from the power and reconnected without impacting the adapters.

Just wanted to chime in and say I have two of these working perfectly for the last week and a half with my ecb6200s with encryption key enabled.
So to confirm, these gocoax play nice with actointec 6200s? I need to finally upgrade my home network from fast ethernet to gigabit... this working from home has free-ed up some cash since no Gas, no Parking downtown! $$$

So to confirm, these gocoax play nice with actointec 6200s? I need to finally upgrade my home network from fast ethernet to gigabit... this working from home has free-ed up some cash since no Gas, no Parking downtown! $$$
Yep, they’ve been playing nice with no hiccups since they were installed earlier this summer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!