What's new

Going to buy the AC88u DSL variant to get around double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loady

My ISP is talktalk in the UK, they do not allow modem mode on their routers, nor do they offer bridge mode anymore, i have tried many,many different configurations for the setup i have/need, it always seems to come back to "you have double NAT"...so...i am now looking to replace the ISP roputer with the DSL-AC88u, having read up on it, there is a fork made for it, it has openvpn and can run diversion and other things i need, just wanted to know if anyone has any better recommendations of a DSL roputer that will run merlin in full, and if anyone in the UK on TALKTALK has got something working so as not to use the ISP supplied equipment.

Thanks.

I’ve used an OpenReach modem as Jack says with TalkTalk and my Merlin Asus and it works like a dream.
Note you’ll need you PPP user/password to enter into the Asus - there are various ways to get this if TalkTalk won’t give it you directly, just have a google.

EDIT - just seen Jacks link, that’s new! You needed your unique details only 12 months ago when I set it up. Much easier now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. don't buy a DSL router, get a modem or router/modem .

Draytek Vigor 130 is good, plenty around new and used also Zyxel have several units that will do the job ( and are BT/Openreach approved)

My ISP is Pulse8Broadband , running on the TalkTalk system , I recently bought this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NE...-N-VDSL2-Combo-WAN-Gateway-ZYXT1/382882389119

Actually an WiFi AC router , I have it set in bridge mode connected to my ASUS AC3200. It is an amazing device and at the current price it is a bargain .

I’ve used an OpenReach modem as Jack says with TalkTalk and my Merlin Asus and it works like a dream.
Note you’ll need you PPP user/password to enter into the Asus - there are various ways to get this if TalkTalk won’t give it you directly, just have a google.

EDIT - just seen Jacks link, that’s new! You needed your unique details only 12 months ago when I set it up. Much easier now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. TalkTalk, and OpenReach modem from ebay (£2) with RT-AC68U for 4/5 years. Just plugged them in and it worked straightaway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!