What's new

Good backup DNS servers and backup gateways?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miner

Regular Contributor
I just got hold of a new router for my home. It has a few new configuration settings (new to me) that I want to play around with.

One of these settings is a third DNS server, that can be manually configured. My ISP's DHCP sets two DNS servers, as is the norm, so I'll put a third one in and set it to user defined. Any good suggestions for a 'backup' DNS server for this situation?

The router also has a Traffic Redirect setting, that configures a backup Gateway in case the normal gateway assigned by DHCP is unreachable.

At first I thought these would be trivial to setup, just search and put in the numbers. But both backup servers need to be trustworthy, you don't want to use a gateway from someone who is going to sniff your data. Likewise, a backup DNS server could compromise the entries for say a bank, redirect you to some malicious site, and you unknowingly give up passwords, even thought it all looks allright.

Any comments, or good ideas on what to use for either or both backup servers?

Verizon's 4.2.2.2 is a reliable DNS server (certaintly better than my ISP's), though for the past year there have been various rumblings that its use will be restricted to their customers only.

There's also OpenDNS, but I don't use them because of their practice of redirecting invalid/incorrect addresses. This unnecessarily complicates troubleshooting. You may not share my antipathy.

Or you can run your own DNS server. I built one using Windows Server 2003. It's been rock solid stable for the 2-3 years since I built it.

The backup gateway is a bit confusing to me. It sounds like it's a setting if your router can't talk out your normal ISP gateway and the backup gateway comes into play if you have say a cable or DSL backup service to redirect your local LAN clients. Just think about it. What good is a backup gateway setting for another pipe on your internet connection if you still have to go through your primary ISP to get to it? If your primary ISP is down, you're going no where.

I personally like OpenDNS, at least in the SOHO environment. Business wise, I usually have multiple DNS servers and the like. I've almost never had problems with my local ISPs DNS servers though, so I can't say it's been an issue that much. I would think in a home environment, OpenDNS is entirely appropriate.

The backup gateway is a bit confusing to me. It sounds like it's a setting if your router can't talk out your normal ISP gateway and the backup gateway comes into play if you have say a cable or DSL backup service to redirect your local LAN clients. Just think about it. What good is a backup gateway setting for another pipe on your internet connection if you still have to go through your primary ISP to get to it? If your primary ISP is down, you're going no where.

To me too. But in practice I've seen the gateways my ISP assigns be unreachable a few times. Not often but a few times. And I presume if they fail but the rest of their network is still working, i.e., routers still know routing to other nodes, this will work.

I'm willing to try it. I might be better off verifying it works by waiting until sometime for the 1st and 2nd gateways become unavailable, then go put in a third one, and see if it works. I'd of course have to have the 3rd gateway addy looked up before the first two become unreachable, though. And probably insure it works from my location on the network.

Edit: It's explained with a graphic on p. 82/83 here: ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P-334/user_guide/P-334_3-60.pdf

My ISP's DNS servers are down more than they're up, so I host my own. OpenDNS works well, but it gave me a lot of issues with file transfers.

At home, I use two 2003 servers for both DNS, and internet name servers.

A good internal DNS lets you pull up your PC's using a name instead of ip address. If you're lazy like me, it works well.

As for public DNS's, I /always/ use 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2.4, They are amazing forwarders (You set your DNS to probe them when it doesn't know where to resolve a name) and basic DNS addresses.

You can also set up a good internal DNS for free using Winbind/Bind9 on a linux PC, though it's a bit more involved.

A good internal DNS lets you pull up your PC's using a name instead of ip address. If you're lazy like me, it works well.
I was considering starting a thread just to discuss this topic, (how do you get name resolution to work on a home network), ... when setting up a home DNS server is not an option.

NetBIOS, llmnr (Vista/2k8 only), and adding systems to your host file can do this without having to set up a server.

As long as your systems are set up for file/printer sharing, and you don't have a crappy, misconfigured firewall*, you should be able to use name resolution via NetBIOS already. On ComputerA, try to ping ComputerB by name.

*Lifetime achievement awards go to "Your computer is broadcasting an IP address" Zone Alarm, and "Your computer is at its safest when I break and stop sending packets--oh, and good luck uninstalling" Norton Internet Security.

I never understood NetBIOS and so always turn it off. Doing this with a Hosts file implies static IP addresses, right?

That is correct.
NetBIOS won't break anything if it's on; more often that not it's the recipient of disruption.

NetBIOS is in everything, it predated DNS in the internal network using what's known as "WINS" (Windows Inter(Intra?)net Name Service) which just sends out a brodcast, playing the PC version of Marco-Polo.

WINS really died around the Windows 2000 era, however most corp's still use it for legacy applications that require it (Applications that predate internal DNS.. yes.. we have several..).

The PC will log them in a file, then use the file to connect to that PC when the time arises. The problem, it's not as effective as DNS, it takes more time to update, and most applications don't know how to use it.

I use OpenDNS, been very happy with it, queries are fast. Yes, the invalid redirect is annoying at times, but I think that can be turned off if you configure an account with them. (Not sure though) Their IPs can be used regardless... 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. They are actually pseudo-IPs, meaning they have 15 or more servers across the internet and things get routed to the closest one.

Tam

Another vote for OpenDNS.

In some cases, it's faster than an ISPs overloaded DNS servers, in some cases where your ISP had good DNS servers, it's a hair slower.

BUT...added benefits of security....lots of known malware sites are blocked out. And for free..you can setup content filtering (keep your kids safe).