What's new

Good CPU recommendation > 68u v1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bilboSNB

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Asus with a much better CPU than v1 68u. Not bothered about wifi

Reasonably priced and better than the the 800 MHz 68U would be the RT-AC1900P @ 1.4 GHz but my google search of your listed location leads me to believe that you don't have access to a Best Buy which is the only place to purchase the 1900P. The other option would be an AC88U @ 1.4 GHz but then we lose the reasonably priced part.

Much better CPU points at the new AC86U @ 1.8 GHz. It's price tag falls in between the 1900P and the 88U although I'm not sure about it's availability outside of the USA.

Or over clock the rt-ac68u. I have a converted tm-ac1900 running at 1.2ghz. I've had it running at 1.4ghz with no issue.

Why do you need the faster CPU?

Thanks all, I had since spotted a post of yours Eric on the ac86u router and the Openvpn speed is the reason.

Presumably the wifi is not that different to the ac68u?

Thanks all, I had since spotted a post of yours Eric on the ac86u router and the Openvpn speed is the reason.

Presumably the wifi is not that different to the ac68u?

I don't expect much difference on wifi, no, aside from the addition of MU-MIMO, which is more a marketing gimmick than an actually useful feature.

One thing that can benefit from a higher clock speed is routing itself - higher clock speed, more packets per second can be routed when things like NAT acceleration is disabled due to certain configs - can also help with single threaded tasks like PPOE client on the WAN side if the WAN connection is higher bit rates there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online