What's new

CakeQOS Best CPU to improve cake_qos's 250M download speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cake_q0s

New Around Here
Best CPU to improve cake_qos's 250M download speed?

My ISP bandwidth is 350M download and 35M upload. I also set up cake_qos with this parameter. I run cake qos v2.1.2 on the merlin firmware of the TUF-ax3000 v1 router with default parameters. It runs fine, but the download speed can only reach It is close to 250M, and the upload speed can reach 36~37M. What I want to ask is, if I buy ax86U PRO and its CPU runs cake_qos, can it meet the bandwidth of 350M/35M? What is the maximum bandwidth it can run (when running cake_qos)? If I install a 1000M/1000M broadband, purchase an Intel N100 X86 soft router, and run openwrt's cake_qos, will it be able to meet the 1000M/1000M bandwidth? What is the maximum bandwidth it can run (when running cake_qos)? Thank you for your answer.

My ISP bandwidth is 350M download and 35M upload. I also set up cake_qos with this parameter. I run cake qos v2.1.2 on the merlin firmware of the TUF-ax3000 v1 router with default parameters. It runs fine, but the download speed can only reach It is close to 250M, and the upload speed can reach 36~37M. What I want to ask is, if I buy ax86U PRO and its CPU runs cake_qos, can it meet the bandwidth of 350M/35M? What is the maximum bandwidth it can run (when running cake_qos)? If I install a 1000M/1000M broadband, purchase an Intel N100 X86 soft router, and run openwrt's cake_qos, will it be able to meet the 1000M/1000M bandwidth? What is the maximum bandwidth it can run (when running cake_qos)? Thank you for your answer.

If you get the 1000/1000 service, no QOS needed, problem solved, your current router will be fine.

Even with 350/35 you should really only need it on the upload side.

if I buy ax86U PRO and its CPU runs cake_qos

It can do 350Mbps on Cake, but may not be needed. Don't use online bufferbloat tests. They stress your ISP connection and show you the worst case scenario. With normal everyday use you have no bufferbloat.

You may wish to spend some time familiarizing yourself with some of the parameters of cake to optimize your config:

One thing I found helpful was the rtt parameter - for me, setting that in the correct range (by pinging my one of my ISP's servers - I forget which - from my router's command line) helped my DL speeds slightly

I'm not saying you will see a benefit from adjusting some of the defaults, but it's always a possibility you might. there's also the other possibility you might make things worse than they are currently, so tread carefully, or leave it as is.
if you REALLY want speed, nothing beats a faster internet connection.

Last edited:
I have the AX88U and a 400Mbps from my ISP. I can achieve 360Mbps with Cake. I think the AX86U and AX88U have the same SoC.

No Need for qos on that Speed unless you run a mini-isp with several users

I think the AX86U and AX88U have the same SoC.

Correct. The new Pro versions have slightly faster CPU, but no significant difference.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!