What's new

Good setup for dual-ISP SoHo network??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teebeau

New Around Here
Hello everybody,

In our small company (5-6 PCs, 4 telephones) we currently have subscribed to an offer from an ISP that provides us with 4 VoIP phones for unlimited calls domestic and outside the country (1 phone acts as "switchboard") and a very modest 20 MBPS DOWN/1 MBPS uplink internet connection. The VoIP part suits our needs perfectly for now but the Internet throughputs are way too slow, especially the upload speed which is insufficient for our daily backup on a remote server.
Our ISP doesn't yet offer any possibility to have the same VoIP setup through FTTx. My idea was to keep my subscription with ISP #1 and only use it for VoIP+switchboard and subscribe to a second ISP (ISP #2) for 1 GBPS DOWN/200 MBPS UPLINK connection [only $45/month].
In the long run I may opt for buying a dual-WAN router for WAN failover but for the time being, for financial reasons, I'll opt it out.

In order to implement this 2nd ISP to our existing infrastructure, I had in mind to setup a VLAN for the 1st ISP (which will only handle telephony) and a second VLAN for ISP #2.

This drawing shows the current setup with our DSL router hooked to the main Switch which is hooked to 3 different switches which supply bandwidth to end terminals (IP phones and PCs):
See attached file "Current.jpg"

This 2nd drawing is a projection of what I want to do, in order to take advantage of both our DSL and future FTTx routers:
See attached file "Projection.jpg"

What do you guys think? Any suggestion/remark?

Thank you very much

PS: sorry for the awkward syntax and spelling mistakes, but english is not my mother tongue.

Attachments

• Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Projection.jpg
    Projection.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 466
I don’t see why you can’t bring in 2 DSL lines on separate vlans isolated from each other. I guess you are using the ISP firewalls. I would not run either internet connection without a firewall.

Why not buy a router that can support dual WAN input like the Zyxel USG50 security appliance (router/firewall/switch)?

It seems that you would get more use out of load balancing router that could share the bandwidth between two ISPs than going with two completely separate networks.

Well, the thing is that the VoIP and the internet bandwidth are already on 2 different sub-networks (this is dictated by my ISP's router) but as for now I've only used unmanaged switches, they handle automatically both subnets.

- 192.168.1.X: internet connection
- 192.168.2.X: phones

The problem with load-balancing routers with dual-WAN is that they're very expensive, the Zyxel you mentioned costs $480 with taxes meanwhile in the US it's only $222 w/o taxes. Milking the cow, much?!! :mad:

hey, I think in your case, it might be better just to dedicate ports on a switch to different VLANs, skip the dual-WAN load-balancing. No messing with reducing jitter/latency for your VoIP network this way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!