What's new

Good wireless adapter to capture 802.11n traffic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ndrp

Occasional Visitor
What would be a good wireless adapter to capture 802.11n traffic? I need to capture traffic between 2.4 GHz 1x1 MIMO 802.11n client and 802.11ac access point. Windows 7 and 10 is preferred.

I have tried Netgear's A6200 2x2 MIMO 802.11ac adapter but cannot get it working well. I use driver which comes in Acrylic WiFi Professional (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wifi-analyzer-acrylic-professional/) for capturing but A6200 can capture random packets only. It doesn't matter if A6200 is 10 cm or 2 meters away from the client. About only 1 packet of 30 gets captured.

I tested access point with 802.11b data rates (11 Mbps) but problem was same. I have AirPcap Ex adapter but it doesn't support 802.11n. AirPcap Ex captures all 802.11b traffic and the distance to client and access point doesn't really matter because 11 Mbps is very robust. I cannot figure out why Netgear's A6200 isn't working.

I have laptop with Intel 4695AGN but it doesn't work either and I cannot set the channel (tested in Ubuntu). 'airmon-ng start wlan0 11' does not force mon0 to channel 11.

AirPcap Nx costs about 800 dollars so I don't want to buy it.

Edit:
Acrylic NDIS driver needs 1.x version of Wireshark. Acrylic NDIS driver and Netgear A6200 seems not to be reporting right values in Wireshark. Acrylic remcommends A6200 adapter.
1) Displayed capture time is "Jan 1, 1970 02:00:15.656918000" so you cant figure out when packets were captured.
2) N data rates are reported to be 0,0 Mbps
3) Acrylic support is a joke.

Last edited:
The airmon-ng (or other related projects') documentation should mention what hardware or drivers are best. Wikidevi should have a list of hardware & drivers.

What are you trying to do?

ASUS USB-AC55, ASUS USB-AC68, D-link DWA-192 all this USB adapters would work.
Wath router do you have?

The airmon-ng (or other related projects') documentation should mention what hardware or drivers are best. Wikidevi should have a list of hardware & drivers.

I'm trying to capture data packects between 1x1 802.11n client and Cisco Aironet access points (802.11n and 802.11ac). Security is open.

Last edited:
ASUS USB-AC55, ASUS USB-AC68, D-link DWA-192 all this USB adapters would work.
Wath router do you have?

Do those work in Windows or Linux? Have you tested there adapters? I would be good is someone could confrim well working USB adapter.

Access points are Cisco Aironet 802.11n and 802.11ac models.

Last edited:
Yes i have them and they DO works in Windows 10, thats why i write them down.

Looks like all listed adapters are quite old.

I'm not sure if I understook right. Have you used those adapters as regular USB WLAN adapters or have you used those with Wireshark and captured traffic not destined to the adapter itself?

Last edited:
What would be a good wireless adapter to capture 802.11n traffic? I need to capture traffic between 2.4 GHz 1x1 MIMO 802.11n client and 802.11ac access point. Windows 7 and 10 is preferred.

I have tried Netgear's A6200 2x2 MIMO 802.11ac adapter but cannot get it working well. I use driver which comes in Acrylic WiFi Professional (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wifi-analyzer-acrylic-professional/) for capturing but A6200 can capture random packets only. It doesn't matter if A6200 is 10 cm or 2 meters away from the client. About only 1 packet of 30 gets captured.

Acrylic WiFi has a list of adapters that they've tested - I've had decent luck with Broadcom mini-PCIe cards that are built into some laptops...

Acrylic WiFi has a list of adapters that they've tested - I've had decent luck with Broadcom mini-PCIe cards that are built into some laptops...

Netgear A6200 was rated five stars for packet capture but I did not had any luck with that.

Omnipeek use Netgear A6210. I'll try it with Npcap when I get my A6210.

I'm not sure if I understook right. Have you used those adapters as regular USB WLAN adapters or have you used those with Wireshark and captured traffic not destined to the adapter itself?

Am using them in my network

make sure that the adapter used for capture is not associated with any AP when doing the capture... just a little tip...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!