What's new

Google Wifi - Port forwarding issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulKemp

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. So, back about 7 months ago I got my google wifi 3 pack and replaced my trusty Dark Knight RT-N66U due to wireless coverage.

All seems to be working fine on the google wifi, except port forwarding. It is setup the according to the documentation, with the MAC address, local IP and remote port (TCP/UDP). However, when checking on canyouseeme.org on the port in question, it is closed. I think I had something called remote port on the RT-N66U, but there is nothing of that sorts here. Windows firewall is opened for the port in question, even though that has never been necessary before.

The router / modem from my ISP is setup in bridge mode, exactly as it was when using the dark knight - back then port forwarding worked. This is very annoying an is causing me considering selling the whole google wifi setup and getting an Asus AImesh instead.

Does anyone have any tips or ways of fixing port forwarding on google wifi?

updating this if someone stumbles upon it in the future.

Just had an hour long talk with google support, and they tested whatever they could from their end. To no avail. I have no idea of what it can be at this point, neither had them. I cannot understand if this is something other than the software layer on the google wifi or some other strange bug. Maybe it is just not working with DHCP, or the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet. Who knows!

I would NOT recommend the Google wifi setup to anyone though. This makes me yearn for the ASUS routers.

I see many broken port forwarding posts on the Google Wifi forums... If it is indeed their firmware at fault, then needless to say they really should push a fix. Then again, if this has been an issue for a year or more, it could be they just don't intent to...

This is a primary example of why it's best to choose a mesh products that can be run in pure "bridge" mode as just a wireless transit layer, with NAT, firewall, DHCP, DNS, etc. all turned off, and handled by a separate router, and/or switch(es). I do know that bridge mode is possible with Eero (and Eero Pro).

I see many broken port forwarding posts on the Google Wifi forums..

This is actually comforting to know, yesterday I asked if this was a common issue, that simple port forwarding from computers didn't work. I was assured that computers was the simplest devices to port forward and that this issue wasnt common. Its actually nice to know.

This is a primary example of why it's best to choose a mesh products that can be run in pure "bridge" mode as just a wireless transit layer, with NAT, firewall, DHCP, DNS, etc. all turned off, and handled by a separate router, and/or switch(es). I do know that bridge mode is possible with Eero (and Eero Pro).

Yes, id prefer to have one simple good router to handle logic behind the networking, and only the mesh nodes to function as AP's. But I think down the line I will change out the whole setup with 1x RT-AC68 and what ever 2nd nodes that I need.

You may want to consider piecing out your network to discrete components, outright; ie. a proper wired router/firewall and switch(es) to handle packet pushing and network logic, then dedicated APs to handle wifi only, whether they be re-purposed all-in-ones, purpose-built APs, SOHO mesh or enterprise wifi. Just something to keep in mind as you mull things over. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!