What's new

GRE Tunnel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stephen Becker

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone found a way to create a gre (or gre-like) tunnel on an Asus-Merlin router? Using the ip tunnel command fails, it looks like that kernel mod is not included.

My goal is to enable site-to-site routing, so that every device at every location can communicate with each other. I have already installed bird4 via Entware to enable OSPF, I have that working, just can't seem to create routeable interfaces between the routers.

I tried using OpenVPN, and can't seem to get it working (it works as designed, I just can't make it work for my purposes). I disabled NAT on the client side, verified that OSPF created the needed routes, made sure iptables shows bi-directional access. But I can't seem to route across OpenVPN tunnels, there seems to be something there that is enforcing the traditional VPN client-server concept.

NOTE: this forum does not allow you to search gre because it is too short, and searching tunnel returned too many results about basic VPN conversation.

It looks like the vtun package does what I needed it to. Had to add a command to the firewall-start script to allow the server to listen for the connection, but it seems to work now. I had some stability problems which I have not tracked down yet. It seems like the built-in VPN has some strange dependency issues with this package. In some cases the vtund would not start unless I have started the OpenVPN service at least once since the last reboot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!