What's new

Ground floor Actiontec MoCA 2.0 ECB6200K02 problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"
The "cable in" one that goes to the TV carries both the cable signal and the DC power for the amplified splitter,
"

The amplified splitter going directly to the tv is powered from the demarc splitter ? i thought the vendor sheet showed it powered to a specific port from a DC injector to the power in port locally ?

Is the power light on on the tv splitter when the actiontec is in line ?

Here's a more full diagram of how things are connected...I added the amplified splitter to send a diagram to Actiontec.

Thanks for your help on this, guys. Still mystified.

Attachments

• wiring_diagram.jpg
    wiring_diagram.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 368
If the actiontec on the TV side is blocking some part of the communication or signal, then you may want to try a 2GHz bidirectional splitter upstream to allow the powered amp to see the head end directly, with hopefully enough signal budget.

Good thought...still waiting on Actiontec's response to this diagram. Hopefully they're familiar with our amplified splitter, or will look it up...

I've seen other MoCA-compatible amplified splitters as well, I could try one of them when I get really desperate. Don't want to add more passive splitters if I can avoid it. My signal was not good without the amplified splitter, adding that really solved some disturbing problems due to low signal. Was having periodic blips on the audio and some screen pixelization occasionally. Not fun if you're trying to enjoy a movie or whatever. Now it's a solid signal...don't know why it took Comcast so long to figure out that I needed an amplified splitter, they're pretty frustrating to work with.

I'm thinking that I'm going to get a 2-way splitter that has at least 2000MHz. bandwidth, and run the Comcast cable into it, and just the main TV and the cable modem out of it for a test to see if things work better that way. Not a permanent solution obviously, just for a test. Now I just need to hunt one of those up out here in the boonies *smile*.

Last edited:
Well, did the test using a splitter outside to bypass the amplified splitter, and things worked a lot better *smile*. The cable modem was able to connect to my ISP, and a laptop that I connected by the adapter at my TV was able to get on the internet. The download speed was a lot lower than my ISP download speed, but that's most likely a matter of tuning. Or maybe I had a loose connection...or something. Or maybe adding a POE filter at the input to the amplified splitter is necessary. But again, that's more a tuning problem than having the cable modem not connect or the link not work.

So I need to talk with Comcast about how to use MoCA 2 with the amplified splitters that they provide. Even though the data sheet for the splitter says that it is MoCA compatible, it sure doesn't perform that way. So there's something that's missing. Interesting experience, though *smile*.

Last edited:
Well, did the test using a splitter outside to bypass the amplified splitter, and things worked a lot better *smile*. The cable modem was able to connect to my ISP, and a laptop that I connected by the adapter at my TV was able to get on the internet. The download speed was a lot lower than my ISP download speed, but that's most likely a matter of tuning. Or maybe I had a loose connection...or something. Or maybe adding a POE filter at the input to the amplified splitter is necessary. But again, that's more a tuning problem than having the cable modem not connect or the link not work.

So I need to talk with Comcast about how to use MoCA 2 with the amplified splitters that they provide. Even though the data sheet for the splitter says that it is MoCA compatible, it sure doesn't perform that way. So there's something that's missing. Interesting experience, though *smile*.
Sounds like they are not MOCA2 compatible in some way . The reduced speeds may be from issues on the cable or number of connections or perhaps overdriving the cable to get an adequate signal ? Unusual to have two amplifiers in series unless the house has really long cable runs or too much signal loss ? Maybe too high of a noise floor to begin with ?

I'm thinking that I'm going to get a 2-way splitter that has at least 2000MHz.
It will be much better to replace the 2-way splitter with a SAT/TV diplexer.
SAT in/out for MoCA adapter, TV in/out for cable modem.

Last edited: