What's new

GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 mesh node - No internet connection sometimes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have same problem on my router.
I'm using GT-AC5300(Main router), RT-AC5300(Node) and GT-AC2900(Node).
All the node devices connected under wireless and my Mac Pro has a problem same as you.
When the Mac pro connected to the RT-AC5300 with 5Ghz-1, there is no internet connection after using internet for one or two minute.
I have newest beta version firmware which is same as you.
My another devices working well, there are no problem with 5Ghz-1.
So I tried to change the Mac Pro connection from 5Ghz-1 to 5Ghz-2.
At that time, there was no issue.
Also I tried to find out what the problem is.
But I can't find it, so I just go back to the formal firmware.
Finally, my all problem is gone after using formal firmware.
So my RT-AC5300 router working under AiMesh 1.0, instead of 2.0.
If you are fixing the beta version issue, please give me a solution.
Thanks
Yup this is the same problem. I have a case open with ASUS right now. I updated them that even with 2 GT-AC5300 both running non beta firmware on AImesh 2 the problem still exists. So it’s not a beta firmware problem but you may be right that it’s an AImesh 2.0 problem with the Apple products. I would have to go back 3 firmware versions on the GT models to be before AI 2.0 And only 1 on the RT. How long has your system been up by rolling back the firmware? Sometimes mine will last up to a day or 2 then it goes downhill fast. I actually may return both of these junks because I am not willing to settle for AI 1.0, both (well now I have 3) of these routers are tri band. You can’t use the 3rd band 5ghz-2 with smart connect, even with wired backhaul with AI 1.0. You have to turn 5ghz-2 on manually and force it to work

This was the response and Mine below

Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support. My name is Romben A. 

I appreciate you getting back to me and for the additional details you provided. It will be my pleasure assisting you today.

I am writing this email to provide you an update about your ongoing case. In accordance to the recommendation of our technical support team.

Please help verify if the AiProtection, QoS options enabled? If so, did you test with these functions disabled? May advise that the NAT Acceleration option will be disabled when these options are enabled. And help verify if you had test with related FAQs: Learn How to setup ASUS AiMesh WiFi system https://www.asus.com/us/site/aimesh/how_to.html ;

My Response:
I currently have these disabled. I originally had these enabled and turned them off to see if it would help. No change. One area that i do see a MINOR improvement with connecting to my equipment is when i disable Smart Connect and broadcast all thre SSIDs (2.4,5-1,5-2) under the same wifi SSID. I am able to connect to my wifi Onkyo receiver, soundbars...etc. With smart connect enabled it just times out. This may be unrelated but wanted to provide the information anyway. It also seems the problem is more associated with Apple products. Do you have an idea on what the problem is. I have never had a problem with AIMESH 1.0 where my device shows connected but cannot reach the internet. IP address is fine. Is this an AIMESH 2.0 problem??

I have setup the router and AIMESH correctly. It is a wired stable connection. The FAQs below do not help.

FYI I have finally figured out the problem.

After 2 new routers, countless hours with ASUS nothing had solved the problem.

Here is the resolution. Keep your router in Dual Band connect not TRI band. It is not ideal for the $$ you pay for at tri band but it works.

This applies to 386 firmware and later.

In the settings do NOT turn on dedicated Ethernet Backhaul. The new 386 firmware opens up 5G-2 band as part of tri connect, as this is a tri band router. However for the past 2 years prior to firmware 386 (e.g. 384) the router would not open up 5G-2 as it was used as a dedicated wireless backhaul whether you were uplinked via ethernet or not. 5-Ghz-2 was always a hidden SSID. The new 386 firmware opens this up as an option for the router and all mesh clients to operate as a true tri band router, yet it does NOT work with a mesh system as intended!

For uplink type, select AUTO "1G WAN first". This ensures the router is in dual band vs Tri band. I have not had an issue in weeks! There is obviously a firmware problem with the 5ghz band. This seems to make sense because everytime i disconnected my phone from wifi and reconnected it would connect to 2.4 first, then switch to 5ghz-1 or 2. Problems start and the cycle continues.

There are tutorials how to force the 5ghz-2 band with its own SSID and unhide it, however i cannot comment on that. I just know as a true tri band router setup as a mesh system with the new 386 firmware with apple products, SHES A DUD. I have validated that there is not a problem with any of my hardware, or my ethernet cable connecting them

Hopefully this will help you, as its BS and noone at ASUS has a clue.

Solid connection now

Attachments

• router-dud.png
    router-dud.png
    664.7 KB · Views: 182
  • router-dud2.png
    router-dud2.png
    637.6 KB · Views: 159
  • router-dud3.png
    router-dud3.png
    668.1 KB · Views: 158
FYI I have finally figured out the problem.

After 2 new routers, countless hours with ASUS nothing had solved the problem.

Here is the resolution. Keep your router in Dual Band connect not TRI band. It is not ideal for the $$ you pay for at tri band but it works.

This applies to 386 firmware and later.

In the settings do NOT turn on dedicated Ethernet Backhaul. The new 386 firmware opens up 5G-2 band as part of tri connect, as this is a tri band router. However for the past 2 years prior to firmware 386 (e.g. 384) the router would not open up 5G-2 as it was used as a dedicated wireless backhaul whether you were uplinked via ethernet or not. 5-Ghz-2 was always a hidden SSID. The new 386 firmware opens this up as an option for the router and all mesh clients to operate as a true tri band router, yet it does NOT work with a mesh system as intended!

For uplink type, select AUTO "1G WAN first". This ensures the router is in dual band vs Tri band. I have not had an issue in weeks! There is obviously a firmware problem with the 5ghz band. This seems to make sense because everytime i disconnected my phone from wifi and reconnected it would connect to 2.4 first, then switch to 5ghz-1 or 2. Problems start and the cycle continues.

There are tutorials how to force the 5ghz-2 band with its own SSID and unhide it, however i cannot comment on that. I just know as a true tri band router setup as a mesh system with the new 386 firmware with apple products, SHES A DUD. I have validated that there is not a problem with any of my hardware, or my ethernet cable connecting them

Hopefully this will help you, as its BS and noone at ASUS has a clue.

Solid connection now

I Have 2 GT-AC5300 -> AiMesh by Wifi (5.0 GHz - 2)
=> I still have the same problem after config like you.

My home have many OS devices (iOS, Android, card Intel Wifi AC9260) all of them often diconnect internet when connect to AiMesh Node ( no issue before have AiMesh )
i send file log to support and hope it will fix soon.

Interesting! And your 5ghz-2 is setup for Wi-Fi backhaul like my pictures above, Even though you may not use it since it’s connected via Ethernet cable? Just to be clear my devices never dropped the connection ever. It just didn’t allow my iOS devices to reach the internet even though it said it was connected . I have 73 devices and 12 of them are iOS. ASUS is useless so don’t waste to much time...but in the event you find something please let us know. After sending logs over and over and config settings they said send it in for service...not h brand new. Lol
The one data point I have is roll back to 384 AImesh 1.0 firmware. That’s my next step of problems arise again. Never had an issue with 1.0, just figure I could use the 5ghz-2 band now so decided to go to mesh 2.0...obviously that didn’t work out

3 hours ping (3 devices another) and no disconnect form AiMesh Node
I think I fixed my issue.
try it and feedback. Thank you.

Attachments

• AiMesh-fix.PNG
    AiMesh-fix.PNG
    767.7 KB · Views: 157
Interesting! And your 5ghz-2 is setup for Wi-Fi backhaul like my pictures above, Even though you may not use it since it’s connected via Ethernet cable? Just to be clear my devices never dropped the connection ever. It just didn’t allow my iOS devices to reach the internet even though it said it was connected . I have 73 devices and 12 of them are iOS. ASUS is useless so don’t waste to much time...but in the event you find something please let us know. After sending logs over and over and config settings they said send it in for service...not h brand new. Lol
The one data point I have is roll back to 384 AImesh 1.0 firmware. That’s my next step of problems arise again. Never had an issue with 1.0, just figure I could use the 5ghz-2 band now so decided to go to mesh 2.0...obviously that didn’t work out
Yes. I dont know WTH with AiMesh 2.0. many problem :(

3 hours ping (3 devices another) and no disconnect form AiMesh Node
I think I fixed my issue.
try it and feedback. Thank you.
Awesome, keep monitoring and report back any issues, especially if you have IOS devices. I am curious. Enabling bonding didnt make any difference for when I had tri band enabled.
Are you setup was tri band or just 2.4 and 5-gz1

now After 3days monitor => I think all issue is a band 5.0GHz AC
I enable band AC (on PC gaming ) -> stil connet AiMesh -> diconnect Internet
I disable band AC -> everything OK

Maybe I used band AC to make a connect AiMesh between node.
SAD.... ( now i have to think how to use Ethernet Cable to used AiMesh)
and one more thing: Iphone (new model) -> cannot disable Band AC.... -> that why they often diconnect internet when connect AiMesh node.

now After 3days monitor => I think all issue is a band 5.0GHz AC
I enable band AC (on PC gaming ) -> stil connet AiMesh -> diconnect Internet
I disable band AC -> everything OK

Maybe I used band AC to make a connect AiMesh between node.
SAD.... ( now i have to think how to use Ethernet Cable to used AiMesh)
and one more thing: Iphone (new model) -> cannot disable Band AC.... -> that why they often diconnect internet when connect AiMesh node.
That sounds like normal operation. If your mesh clients are not wired the 5g-2 AC band is your backhaul for the two clients to communicate.

Yes. I dont know WTH with AiMesh 2.0. many
UPDATE: Problem was not resolved. I have now completely removed AIMESH 2.0 and reverted all my routers back to the latest 384 firmware on AIMESH 1.0. Obviously no 5ghz-2 band since that is a wireless backhaul...even though I am wired. I did not force the band to open up like I know you can do. I left the settings all default and ensured it was showing a wired connection. It’s been 1 day and no problems yet.

Yup this is the same problem. I have a case open with ASUS right now. I updated them that even with 2 GT-AC5300 both running non beta firmware on AImesh 2 the problem still exists. So it’s not a beta firmware problem but you may be right that it’s an AImesh 2.0 problem with the Apple products. I would have to go back 3 firmware versions on the GT models to be before AI 2.0 And only 1 on the RT. How long has your system been up by rolling back the firmware? Sometimes mine will last up to a day or 2 then it goes downhill fast. I actually may return both of these junks because I am not willing to settle for AI 1.0, both (well now I have 3) of these routers are tri band. You can’t use the 3rd band 5ghz-2 with smart connect, even with wired backhaul with AI 1.0. You have to turn 5ghz-2 on manually and force it to work

Good to know I’m not the only one with this problem. I have 3 GTs Aimesh’d wirelessly and some of my devices hang (iPhone, laptop). The only solution I’ve found so far is to just reboot the node routers and it solves the problem until it happens again. Could be couple hours, could be couple days. Super frustrating as I thought spending a lot of money would get me stable wifi...

I have the same problem. I use five GT-AC5300 routers plus two RT-AC5300 routers, and my iPhones all lose Internet access without disconnecting from WiFi. The only solution I found is to revert back to the latest 384 builds for each model. No such problems there. I’ve found a combination of settings for 384 that work stably. But I wish 386 would work.

GT-AC5300 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.42643 was released today. The description on the ASUS website mentions only a security fix in it, but since it isn't beta it might have other fixes, as well.

I have the same problem. I use five GT-AC5300 routers plus two RT-AC5300 routers, and my iPhones all lose Internet access without disconnecting from WiFi. The only solution I found is to revert back to the latest 384 builds for each model. No such problems there. I’ve found a combination of settings for 384 that work stably. But I wish 386 would work.

the only work around that works for me is to connect the problem devices to the 2nd 5GHz band and not to the 1st 5GHz band. But I might give the new firmware a try. Thanks!

Yep. that's big problem and Asus talk issue by iPhone. Contact Apple for support...
LOL

I was disable smart connect.
And have no problem in one week.
I for sure: smart connect is a bug for AiMesh.

I’ve never used smart connect and have this problem. Problem still persists with new firmware for those who are interested
I have never used smart connect, 5G_2 Third Band (Mine is broke or something since nothing can really see it constantly. Also link aggregation on port 6 due to only 100mpbs connection.), or any QOS at all. I have 3 ZenWiFi AX Mini setup in mesh mode and on Version 3.0.0.4.384.82037 with no issues. Full speeds wherever on any device. Updating to to Version 3.0.0.4.386.42643 broke internet connection on everything everwhere. Rolling back to the Version 3.0.0.4.386.41793 seemed to bring everything back even though i never used that firmware at all. So it seems the newest is the worst one yet for me. I will try the beta here shortly.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!