What's new

Solved GT-AX6000 5GHz WiFi settings check taking into account the following…

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john385

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone!

please have a look at my 5GHz settings on a GT-AX6000 - ie. are they properly set up considering I only have the following devices connected to that SSID and that won’t change until I get an iPhone 15 or maybe even 16:

- 1x iPhone Xs
- 1x iPhone Xr
- 1x Apple Watch Series 6
- 1x iPad Air 3

1.png

2.png

Mostly asking because of the advanced AX settings - again, considering the fact that I only have old(-ish) Apple devices on that SSID?

The router is connected to a 1Gbps WAN if that's anything of relevance...

Hi everyone!

please have a look at my 5GHz settings on a GT-AX6000 - ie. are they properly set up considering I only have the following devices connected to that SSID and that won’t change until I get an iPhone 15 or maybe even 16:

- 1x iPhone Xs
- 1x iPhone Xr
- 1x Apple Watch Series 6
- 1x iPad Air 3

View attachment 44845

View attachment 44846

Mostly asking because of the advanced AX settings - again, considering the fact that I only have old(-ish) Apple devices on that SSID?

The router is connected to a 1Gbps WAN if that's anything of relevance...

If any client can't see the 5.0 WLAN SSID to connect, then it doesn't support the current DFS control channel so disable DFS control channels.

I would keep the defaults below Roaming Assistant except disable Universal Beamforming... it's proprietary and might affect/slow down an old client.

OE

Tuning your router for the devices you currently have is a good way to introduce network instability.

Did the defaults (after a full reset to factory defaults via the WPS Button method, see link below) not work for you? Are you just changing options because you can?

I agree with disabling Universal Beamforming only (again, a full reset is probably needed now), and leaving everything else pretty much at defaults. I would experiment with a manual Control Channel setting though. That can make a world of difference in specific environments.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Thanks @Tech9 & @OzarkEdge, everything working great so far.

@L&LD , why do you assume I did (or even need) a full factory reset? o_O
I don't. I never said that I have any instability/issues, just that is there something I can do to optimize my setup given my (limited) set of known devices.
So...no need for a full factory reset.
Thanks for the suggestions (your links are in my bookmark). :D

Don't reset for no reason and don't waste your time with links. Just use your router and enjoy life. ;)

@john385, actually, I'm assuming you haven't performed a full reset. The reasons for doing so are to get the maximum performance. Particularly if you've been toggling options on/off randomly (turning an option on/off isn't the same as leaving some of those features/options off in the first place).

If you feel your network is working well for you, great.

But if you want to know you're getting the maximum performance possible, my answer above is spot on. And that is the minimum I would do even with a router fresh out of the box. If I wanted the highest performance, stability, and reliability possible.

We can't know what you've done to your network/router, of course. But I can point you to best practices. Up to you if you feel you need to follow them, or not.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!