What's new

GT-AX6000 Node - 2.5Gbps LAN issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jckblack7

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

Is it a known issue for a GT-AX6000 node to not support 2.5Gbps LAN? I have two GT-AX6000's. One is router and one as node. I've tried both with Merlin and figured it was a Merlin issue. But I've put it to stock "FW_GT_AX6000_300438822068" and put it back in as an AiMesh Node. Seems that I can use the WAN 2.5Gbps as the backhaul but can't utilize the LAN 2.5Gbps to connect to a computer. This is the case in both Merlin/Stock. I can connect to the 1Gbps LAN ports and I'll get connectivity, but once I try to connect the 2.5Gbps to LAN for ethernet backhaul or as Switch 2.5Gbps port it fails. If its factory reset I can use the 2.5Gbps LAN to configure but once I've paired for AiMesh node, it drops.

Is this an Asus issue where they are blocking the 2.5Gbps LAN port usage?

Router GT-AX6000 - Merlin 388.1
Node GT-AX6000 - Merlin 388.1/FW_GT_AX6000_300438822068

Do you have a manage switch between the router and node?

No switch in between. For testing purposes the connection is as follows.

router LAN 2.5gbe to node WAN 2.5Gbe and from node LAN 2.5 Gbe to PC with 2.5Gbe NIC.
The PC does not establish a connection. The link is established but it’s not routable. I can’t even ping the gw of the router even though I have an ip address. Unplug the node LAN 2.5 Gbe and into 1Gb port and it works normally.

I tested this way to see why I can’t use the LAN 2.5Gbe as the Ethernet backhaul. You have option for 2.5G, 2.5G WAN only or auto for wired backhaul. If I selected 2.5G and used the LAN it would not connect properly. It’s fine that it works in WAN. But it would have been nice to act as a 2.5 switch as well instead of adding an unmanaged or managed 2.5 switch.

I have on order a 2.5Gbe 5 port switch on the way. Which I will use to connect the router 2.5 too and use the switch to connect PC and backhaul to node.

but I wanted to leverage the 2.5 LAN. I may as well return the GT-AX6000 and get an AX86u instead.

I also own dual GT-AX6000s plus a 2.5gbs switch. But I can't even get them to pair in AiMesh mode in any sort of stable fashion after trying every suggestion on SNB and DongKnows. Took about 10 attempts just to get them to pair. Then when the node disappeared after 2 days I gave up since nothing would connect to it anyhow. So the 2nd 6000 is running in AP mode which I've decided I prefer for the increased control, plus clients actually connect to it now. If you have dual gt-ax6000s running in stable AiMesh mode you're already way ahead of me.

Not sure where I read it, but I did see something regarding AiMesh problems with the ax6000s. My 2.5 lan port on the AP is free, and I'd be happy to try connecting a 2.5gb client to it to test for you, but would probably be meaningless since it's not running in AiMesh mode and the AP config is very different and much more likely all the ports would work. IMO given that the gt-ax6000 are only dual band and require ethernet backhaul you'd have little to lose by using AP mode instead of AiMesh mode. The config for the AP is merely a subset of the primary router config so there's not much extra work keeping them synced compared to mesh mode.

Try reverting back to 388.21617 or even 386 firmware, i had better and stable results

Try reverting back to 388.21617 or even 386 firmware, i had better and stable results
Oh, I left no stone unturned in my efforts. My AiMesh setup was very stable before I swapped the rt-ax86s for the 2nd ax6000. I'm happy enough with it in AP mode for now. In the meantime I'm no longer reading any more DongKnows blogs...

Now I remember. It's likely some issue related to using the 2.5gb ports for the wired backhaul.

I also own dual GT-AX6000s plus a 2.5gbs switch. But I can't even get them to pair in AiMesh mode in any sort of stable fashion after trying every suggestion on SNB and DongKnows. Took about 10 attempts just to get them to pair. Then when the node disappeared after 2 days I gave up since nothing would connect to it anyhow. So the 2nd 6000 is running in AP mode which I've decided I prefer for the increased control, plus clients actually connect to it now. If you have dual gt-ax6000s running in stable AiMesh mode you're already way ahead of me.

Not sure where I read it, but I did see something regarding AiMesh problems with the ax6000s. My 2.5 lan port on the AP is free, and I'd be happy to try connecting a 2.5gb client to it to test for you, but would probably be meaningless since it's not running in AiMesh mode and the AP config is very different and much more likely all the ports would work. IMO given that the gt-ax6000 are only dual band and require ethernet backhaul you'd have little to lose by using AP mode instead of AiMesh mode. The config for the AP is merely a subset of the primary router config so there's not much extra work keeping them synced compared to mesh mode.
What 2.5 Gbps switch are you using? It appears to make a difference. I had issues with TRENDnet unmanaged 8-port switch, but I now successfully use TP-Link managed 2.5/10 Gbps switch between router and AiMesh nodes — I have moved the TRENDnet switches elsewhere in my network.

Now I remember. It's likely some issue related to using the 2.5gb ports for the wired backhaul.
Working for me now. I have GT-AX6000 as primary router with three (3) 2.5 Gbps wired AiMesh nodes (GT-AXE16000, GT-AX6000, and RT-AX86U) connected via TP-Link 2.5/10 Gbps managed switch and a fourth (RT-AX86U) connected via 5 GHz/160 MHz WiFi. At some point when AiMesh is fully working on GT-AXE16000, I will swap it in as the primary router — ASUS now has it working in its latest GT-AXE16000 firmware (388_22237), but I need @RMerlin to catch up once ASUS provides him appropriate GPL.

Interesting. I guess I can go down that route as well if need be. I currently don't need the extra 2.5 lan port on the node but thought one day if I decided to use it as a media bridge I can leverage the 2.5 lan.

Pairing in AiMesh mode was really easy with router in Merlin. The node in stock or aimesh paired each time and not even close to each other. I connected the node on its WAN port and onto the router 2.5 LAN first and also tested on a 1G switch that is not directly connected to the router. Both paired and hasn't lost any connections. I just used the Asus App on my iOS device and selected add AiMesh Node and it found the AX6000 each time. Devices are connected evenly on both AX6000's. It would have been extremely nice to see YazFi utilize the Guest Wifi on the AiMesh node as I have some IOT devices that strictly uses 2.4Ghz. Some barely connect as it can't penetrate the concrete from outside.

my neighbors must hate me right now, as I haven't really changed any of the channels as i'm still messing around with the two AX6000's.

What 2.5 Gbps switch are you using? It appears to make a difference. I had issues with TRENDnet unmanaged 8-port switch, but I now successfully use TP-Link managed 2.5/10 Gbps switch between router and AiMesh nodes — I have moved the TRENDnet switches elsewhere in my network.
Yep, got the 5 port TrendNet. Locked up twice the first 48 hours. But now that I'm keeping that switch, the gt-ax6000s and anything else that gets above 120ºf on top a nice cool air filter they haven't crashed since.

Yep, got the 5 port TrendNet. Locked up twice the first 48 hours. But now that I'm keeping that switch, the gt-ax6000s and anything else that gets above 120ºf on top a nice cool air filter they haven't crashed since.
Just be aware that the TRENDnet does not pass VLAN tags (necessary for guest network 1 with Intranet disabled to AiMesh nodes and most likely future VLAN support).

Just be aware that the TRENDnet does not pass VLAN tags (necessary for guest network 1 with Intranet disabled to AiMesh nodes and most likely future VLAN support).
Yeah, certainly aware. All my problems were with a direct connection between the ax6000s. Since the other is now in AP mode I'm just doing LACP directly between them for 2Gb wired backhaul. The 2.5gb switch ports are going from the top level router to the 2.5gb ports on two Eero 6Es and two macs with 2.5gb dongles so no ports are wasted. I would prefer to go thru the switch to the other ax6000, but I am passing my own vlan tag for dual subnets across the ASUS's. If Comcrap raises our download speed above 2gigs I will get some more robust switching hardware.

Which TP-Link managed 2.5/10 Gbps switch do you have? I'm debating about getting a QNAP QSW-2104-2T. Its unmanaged though, debating about managed for VLAN tagging for potential Guest WiFi segmentation, however I don't think that would be completed with the Dual GT-AX6000.

This 2.5 LAN is still a mistery to me. I may try to email Asus when I get a chance after I swap the router and node. See if it makes any difference and putting them in stock mode.

Which TP-Link managed 2.5/10 Gbps switch do you have? I'm debating about getting a QNAP QSW-2104-2T. Its unmanaged though, debating about managed for VLAN tagging for potential Guest WiFi segmentation, however I don't think that would be completed with the Dual GT-AX6000.

This 2.5 LAN is still a mistery to me. I may try to email Asus when I get a chance after I swap the router and node. See if it makes any difference and putting them in stock mode.
From my signature, I have TP-Link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 v1.0 managed switch with eight (8) 2.5GBaseT POE+ ports and two (2) 10Gbps SFP+ slots — there are apparently a couple of newer revs of this switch, but I have had no issues with v1.0 with latest TP-Link firmware. I have added two (2) 10Gbps SFP+ transceivers (Wiitek SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Modules, 10GBaseT), which auto negotiate down to 100 Mbps or 1, 2.5, or 5 Gbps as necessary.

I run currently run a 2.5 Gbps connection from GT-AX6000 primary router to switch, a 10 Gbps connection from switch to GT-AXE16000 AiMesh node which serves my NASs (2.5 Gbps connections), and a 5 Gbps connection to my MacBook Pro m1 when wired. At some point, I hope to swap the positions of the GT-AX6000 and GT-AXE16000, but this would require an update to Merlin firmware to use a yet to be released GPL to properly support AiMesh (Asus 388_22237 appears to do that, but Asus has not yet provided @RMerlin an updated GPL — both Merlin 388.1 and 388.2_alpha1 use Asus GPL 388_21224).

Last edited:
From my signature, I have TP-Link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 v1.0 managed switch with eight (8) 2.5GBaseT POE+ ports and two (2) 10Gbps SFP+ slots — there are apparently a couple of newer revs of this switch, but I have had no issues with v1.0 with latest TP-Link firmware. I have added two (2) 10Gbps SFP+ transceivers (Wiitek SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Modules, 10GBase-T), which auto negotiate down to 1/2.5/5 Gbps as necessary.

I run currently run a 2.5 Gbps connection from GT-AX6000 primary router to switch, a 10 Gbps connection from switch to GT-AXE16000 AiMesh node which serves my NASs (2.5 Gbps connections), and a 5 Gbps connection to my MacBook Pro m1 when wired. At some point, I hope to swap the positions of the GT-AX6000 and GT-AXE16000, but this would require an update to Merlin firmware to use a yet to be released GPL to properly support AiMesh (Asus 388_22237 appears to do that, but Asus has not yet provided @RMerlin an updated GPL — both Merlin 388.1 and 388.2_alpha1 use Asus GPL 388_21224).
I honestly didn't even look in your signature. my apologies as this would have avoided the slight embarrasment. However, this does provide insight and explanation on your deployment.

Are you switching the GT-AXE16000 to primary to leverage the dual 10G ports? What is the AiMesh issue you would experience if you swapped it? I don't have an ISP pipe that can support larger then 1.5 at the moment as FTTD is not availble, otherwise 3Gbps would be available. I'm debating about returning one of the GT-AX6000's but not sure quite yet, my IOT devices are slowly growing and having that segmented SSID is nice and YazFi has gone to pfsense and may not support guest vlan moving forward unless omeone picks it up. For me I don't see any additional benefits of AiMesh, but understandingly I will still need a managed switch for the vlan tagging. I'm so conflicted........

I honestly didn't even look in your signature. my apologies as this would have avoided the slight embarrasment. However, this does provide insight and explanation on your deployment.

Are you switching the GT-AXE16000 to primary to leverage the dual 10G ports? What is the AiMesh issue you would experience if you swapped it? I don't have an ISP pipe that can support larger then 1.5 at the moment as FTTD is not availble, otherwise 3Gbps would be available. I'm debating about returning one of the GT-AX6000's but not sure quite yet, my IOT devices are slowly growing and having that segmented SSID is nice and YazFi has gone to pfsense and may not support guest vlan moving forward unless omeone picks it up. For me I don't see any additional benefits of AiMesh, but understandingly I will still need a managed switch for the vlan tagging. I'm so conflicted........
Yes, I want to use the dual 10 Gbps ports. I am planning to leverage as much bandwidth as possible in the appropriate places within my LAN. Asus only recently fixed an issue concerning guest network 1 on the GT-AXE16000 — the GT-AXE16000 did not properly forward VLAN tags (ID 501 for 2.4 GHz and ID 502 for 5 GHz) that are necessary when disabling Intranet access (between devices) on AiMesh nodes. I had quite a long discussion (over a month) with Asus tech support on this topic, being initially told that the GT-AXE16000 did not support VLANs — it does get frustrating when, as a user, I know more about Asus' implementation details than their tech support team. Finally, Asus provided a test firmware release followed by 388_22237 which appears to address the issue. I am currently running Merlin 388.2_alpha1 on GT-AX6000 with latest Asus baseline firmware on each of four (4) AiMesh nodes (388_22237 on GT-AXE16000).

yeah that makes sense to utilize the dual 10Gbps as you may leverage a WAN that is greater then 2.5Gbps later on. My network needs do not require anything above 2.5 Gbps, but its always nice to have the support for future growth. I have one gaming desktop and the other devices are prodiminately wifi with a nas that is a bit older which only supports 1Gb.

I'm interested to see how the PRO firmware will do if its supported by the GT-AX6000 for VLAN tagging. That may allow for Guest Wifi for IOT support if I don't run AiMesh, perhaps in AP mode with some scripting.

yeah that makes sense to utilize the dual 10Gbps as you may leverage a WAN that is greater then 2.5Gbps later on. My network needs do not require anything above 2.5 Gbps, but its always nice to have the support for future growth. I have one gaming desktop and the other devices are prodiminately wifi with a nas that is a bit older which only supports 1Gb.

I'm interested to see how the PRO firmware will do if its supported by the GT-AX6000 for VLAN tagging. That may allow for Guest Wifi for IOT support if I don't run AiMesh, perhaps in AP mode with some scripting.
VLAN tagging works NOW for guest network 1 only with Intranet disabled on the GT-AX6000 — as I mentioned, IDs 501 and 502 for 2.4 and 5 GHz, respectively. TP-Link unmanaged switch will properly pass these tags to an AiMesh node.