What's new

GT-AX6000 vs GT-AXE16000 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well the GT-AX6000 is ordered. Now I'm still looking at adding a second router, or such, to extend my wifi, and keep it as strong as possible in my home. As I mentioned in my last post, kind of want something lower profile, and not a straight up router. Incase I need to put it out in the open, I want to to look clean, with some shelf appeal. Definitely want something a bit up to date with some pretty decent AX speeds.

I know there has to be a few of you on here who has some secondary devices for boosting your wifi. What are some of you using? I want something I don't have to worry about having issues staying connected. Which seems to be an issue with many mesh systems, and such, looking over reviews. Currently looking to spend a max of $300-400 on secondary wifi unit.

So you're looking for essentially a mesh system. I find that the ZenWiFi AX with XT8's works really well at my house. With the tri-band radios, works great using wireless backhaul. Full speed everywhere. And I can put the remote node in the living room without have my wife object...doesn't look like art, but sitting on a side table, doesn't attract the eye, either.

The problem that you may run into with the GT-AX6000 in a mesh (the router I'm using at the moment for my whole house *smile*) is that it only has two radios. Unless you are going to wire connect your mesh, you will see a real speed impact from not having 3 radios on your mesh nodes. This is from my experience with meshes over the years...have used a couple. One of the poor results that I had was with two RT-AC86U routers using AiMesh. Due to the two radios per node using wireless backhaul, got a little more that half the speed that I was hoping for. That one didn't last long *smile*.

Unless you are going to wire connect your mesh, you will see a real speed impact from not having 3 radios on your mesh nodes.
Well my home has a smart panel, and almost every room has a wall plate with dual coax, with ethernet, and a phone line connection. Only one room that I'm aware of, the ethernet line is damaged, and that outlet doesn't work. So I can honestly connect a mesh system wired if needed.

My biggest issue from looking at systems online last night, there's a lot of complaints with most of these systems saying they disconnect often. Which I can't have that, others in the home wouldn't be happy if the wifi randomly drops all the time. I have gigabit internet, and I would like to be able to keep most of my home covered where 300-500mbps wifi is possible, with AX type devices.

I'm personally looking for opinions on here, as I trust most people here will be honest if something is a POS, and unreliable. Can't always trust every review people post online, as some people don't know what they're doing, and I'm sure with these mesh systems, you have to play around with placement. As I'm sure overlapping can be an issue, making wifi suffer due to it.

I guess the question is how big are your not-spots and how much WiFi do you need in them? If you don't need too much to get around the corners, and you can get away with lower speeds in some of the locations, then even something like the RP-AX56 AX1800 mesh extender might help.

Well I'm trying to cover about 2500-3000sqft. I have one room upstairs on one side of the house, where Modem/GT-AX6000 will be located. I'm trying to keep the opposite of the house covered pretty well, plus keep the backyard decently covered, as I have a pool, and so wifi can be useful outback. The sqft I listed in this post, would very likely include the backyard as well.

something like the RP-AX56 AX1800 mesh extender might help.
Well I really want to try to have at least between 300-500mbps over 5ghz in most places of the house. Right now where the AX6000 would be located upstairs, the extender/first mesh device would be located downstairs around 30 feet away, with a couple walls. The question is.. what kind of Mesh/Extender do I need to be looking at to achieve these wifi speeds? I appreciate all comments. I'm not against buying a 2-3 device mesh system, even if I only end up needing two of them. I will say the AX6000 will be staying as the main router, any extender/mesh system, will be added on/connected to the AX6000, via wireless, or wired if needed.

Well I'm thinking of maybe going with Asus RT-AX92U 2 pack, run them in mesh with the AX6000. Anyone reading this have an opinion on the AX92U? Anyone with hands on use of theses?

Well I'm thinking of maybe going with Asus RT-AX92U 2 pack, run them in mesh with the AX6000. Anyone reading this have an opinion on the AX92U? Anyone with hands on use of theses?

The RT-AX92U is an interesting device, one of the 5GHz. radios is wifi-5, and the other is wifi-6. Again, if you use them in a mesh with wireless backhaul, the wifi-6 radio will be dedicated to backhaul, and you'll only have wifi-5 for clients. If you can wire connect them that should work better, you should have both the 5GHz. radios available, the wifi-5 one and the wifi-6 one. Not too interesting to me because of the wifi-5 radio on 5GHz., but might serve your purposes.

If you were to wire connect them, I suppose that you could disable the wifi-5 5GHz. radio and just use the 4-stream wifi-6 radio. Or use different SSID's on the two radios and use the wifi-5 radio for wifi-5 clients. Like I said, interesting devices *smile*.

Last edited:
I honestly don't feel bad for no one in this case. There was never a promised release date. Simply an estimated preorder date.
I am just saying some people may have believed Newegg's ETA of 5/26 (Thursday) and done overnight shipping hoping to get it by Friday/the weekend. Granted those people will still probably enjoy getting it the day after they arrive eventually anyway! :)

Well I got my new GT-AX6000 this morning, got it setup running Merlin's latest non alpha build on it. Now I have a AX68U coming in later today, to hopefully connect wired mesh downstairs to boost wifi. Currently I have a AX88U as a AP downstairs. However it's in the smart panel closet. Overall not in the best spot to boost signals where I want them downstairs, especially in a closed closet. Due to size, and overall typical router look. Where I'm planning to put the AX68U, would require adding a shelf, and not something I want everyone to see. As it would be in a location people would see it all the time.

The AX68U is smaller, and has a standing position. Plus I think it has a rather clean look, with the lights on the top. I know they can be disabled as well. I ended up getting the white version, as that's currently what Amazon is selling. I actually don't mind the white shell of this router.

I do know the AX88U is the better of the two. I don't hate the AX88U, it's just a matter of where I want to put it, its look, and size, just don't appeal to me in a open setting for people to see. Overall the AX68U actually test pretty well in both wifi 5, and 6 in the 5ghz band, minus not being able to use 160mhz channel width, honestly 80mhz is fine.

With all this said, I will keep an eye out on the AXE16000 after people start getting them, and see what's being said about it. If it turns out to be a solid router, I'm not against replacing my GT-AX6000 down the road. I just got tired of waiting on the AXE16000 for now.

@lilstone87
No issues with latest alpha :)

I'm also waiting to see the reviews, fw issues or fw creator, and cost of the 16000 go lower/sale during the numerous "sale" days between now and Black Friday.

Anyone want to help out on what I need to manually disable, and how to do it, so Time Scheduling under Parental Controls works? As I just tested it a little bit ago on the AX6000, and it doesn't work. I'm guessing Runner, or Flow Cache need to be disabled. Doesn't seem there's an option within the webgui to disable either, so Time Scheduling works. Just trying to figure out which one likely needs to be disabled, and what's the command I need to run to do so? Be nice to know command to disable, and enable it, incase I want to do so.

The 16000 is available to order from the Asus store. Just put my order in…will hopefully have some evaluation data to post in a week or so. If you want it…go order it before it disappears again.

The 16000 is available to order from the Asus store. Just put my order in…will hopefully have some evaluation data to post in a week or so. If you want it…go order it before it disappears again.
I, too, just ordered from the ASUS store 15 minutes or so ago. I cancelled my newegg and BH preorders as they both were ETA'd out to next week. I hope they ship promptly for delivery this week.

We should probably make a GT-AXE16000 owner's thread or something to get out of here and share experience as we receive/setup/use them.

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Last edited:
And they are out of stock on the Asus store again. Whatever limited quantity they had went fast, as expected.

I’m having issues getting Aimesh to work with an axe16000 and an ax11000. In Aimesh mode the 11000 drops constantly, I cannot get it to stay connected despite a <60 SNR. In repeater mode the 11000 won’t automatically reconnect when the 16000 reboots, it shows up in the list of devices connected but cannot route to it so I need to connect to an extender SSID then go into the routers software and force a reboot. Anyone else run into this and fix it?

I’ll be setting up a mesh network with the 16000 as main and three x AX86U tonight. Can’t start yet as we have some Zoom meetings going on. It’ll be later tonight before I can get things hooked up.

I’ll be setting up a mesh network with the 16000 as main and three x AX86U tonight. Can’t start yet as we have some Zoom meetings going on. It’ll be later tonight before I can get things hooked up.
let me know how it goes! I’d love to use my 11000 as an Aimesh node, but I’d be happy getting it to automatically reconnect as an extender!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!