What's new

GT-AX6000 vs RT-AX86U ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I sent my GT-AX6000 back simply due to it’s looks. It did not pass the WAF sitting on top of my “networking” cabinet in the living room which effectively hides all my other “ugly” stuff. :)
@Smokey613 WAF, I had to look it up and laugh at that one!

@Smokey613 @SuperFreaky @Tech9 I agree with many if not all of your sentiments for my situation. I too returned the GT-AX6000 and other equipment. I have a used ax86u that is working spectacularly for my home, basement and outdoors, and I have concrete filled ICF walls with brick. The coverage on my outdoor decks is surprising--good radios for 2.4 and 5. The ax86u really is a great router for the money with its performance. Of course, the ac86u is nearly as good. The ax86u specs seems to say it has a higher power output on the lower 5Ghz bands than the ac86u. I may enable my extra ac86u for outdoor garden coverage next spring.

There was an article/review talking about the ax86u winning its low latency award. I too (real or imagined) have found that the AX86U as my primary internet router is extremely fast and the low latency is perhaps the most important aspect to me because that 'feel' might be pertinent to the many many web clicks that occur. I am getting 14ms pings to my comcast speed server in Richmond VA from the Shenandoah Valley (Harrisonburg VA). That seems to be 1 or 2 better than before on my ac86u. That could be a meaningful proportional value. I choose to be content for now......we all know how that goes......

I will be even happier when Comcast Northeast rolls out their higher upload speeds within the next 4-6 months.

@L&LD Thank you for your reliable wisdom and comments. If people don't share respectable opinions, we won't see different viewpoints. I hope the GT-AX6000s work out very well for you. Keep us informed.

@RMerlin Thank you always for your efforts. I just upgraded to 388.1 on my ax86u.

All the best to everyone during this holiday season. Peace.

Just read this from a review on Amazon. Thoughts? Why would upload speeds be slow when connected to the 2.5G WAN port instead of the 1G?

Excellent router with wired wifi speeds. The upload speed will be very slow if wan link is connected to 2.5 g wan port with asus firmware. To resolve this either use merlin firmware or enable dual wan and connect wan link to lan port.
This should be resolved in future firmwate updates.

That's what the RT-AXE7800 is.
Is RT-AXE7800 supported? I just bought it but I cant see it in the supported devices or download links with device names ... I would love to have Merlin on it since the begining. Thank you!

And will you?

Don't ask, unless RMerlin has changed his policy, you won't get an answer *smile*. Do a little reading and you'll find that support for particular routers is announced when it's announced *smile*. The RT-AXE7800 is at least Broadcom-based according to what I've read about it, so there's a chance. But no guarantees until it's announced.

Don't ask, unless RMerlin has changed his policy, you won't get an answer *smile*. Do a little reading and you'll find that support for particular routers is announced when it's announced *smile*. The RT-AXE7800 is at least Broadcom-based according to what I've read about it, so there's a chance. But no guarantees until it's announced.
Oh I see - I asked mostly because I have this device and can help in getting something from it if needed to be supported in the future.
Thx anyway.

I have a 1.5Gbps/940Mbps (UL/DL) internet and the 2.5G lan port is worth it, the ROG GT-AX6000 is one of the few routers that offer a 2.5G WAN and a 2.5G LAN.
testing both my AX86U and the newly purchased AX6000, The ROG router is faster over WIF and has lower latency. Performed a speed test from within the router's interface and the ROG offered faster upload speed than the AX86U.
I am using the latest official firmware from Asus and connected to the internet using PPPoE to bypass my ISP provided modem.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 8.31.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 8.31.10 AM.png
    343.9 KB · Views: 174
Good luck with price matching on something you have purchased 2 weeks ago before Boxing Week sales.

Share your experience. It may be one of "Only in Canada" things, if successful.

I am currently using an RT-AC86U and get 940/940 over Ethernet as expected with Bell 1.5 service. With Wifi, even standing next to the ac86u, speeds top out at roughly 300/240. With the ac86u connected as an AP to the Bell HH3000, I get 550/450.

I am going to pick up a gt-ax6000 from Best Buy Canada as well to test with my Bell 1.5 Gbps service with a Hellotek media converter. I'm fine with Gigabit speeds on wired but would like a bit more over wireless for uploads.

I am currently using an RT-AC86U and get 940/940 over Ethernet as expected with Bell 1.5 service. With Wifi, even standing next to the ac86u, speeds top out at roughly 300/240. With the ac86u connected as an AP to the Bell HH3000, I get 550/450.

I am going to pick up a gt-ax6000 from Best Buy Canada as well to test with my Bell 1.5 Gbps service with a Hellotek media converter. I'm fine with Gigabit speeds on wired but would like a bit more over wireless for uploads.
I have bell 1.5Gbps too. With the AX6000 using a macbook pro I am getting close to 800Mbps up and down.

Thanks for the information. Are you using PPPoE passthrough?

I intend to remove the HH3000 from my home network.
Yes, using PPPoE to by pass the Gigahub, but had to contact bell on their forum to push a firmware update to my modem to ver. 1.15.1. Any firmware before this one PPPoE will not work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!